PDA

View Full Version : Need custom intercooler piping work done...

Guteman
07-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Hello All,

I've been searching around but I have come up with nothing. I've PM'd a few people with no reply. I've mounted a "large" intercooler on my Saab, yes my Saab. I am looking to get 2.5" aluminum (or stainless if it can be done) piping welded together CLEANLY. Depending who you are you can come over to my place and make some measurements and take the stock cold side pipe home. The stock cold pipe will be almost the perfect template. Or I can put the front end together and drive it somewhere, I prefer not doing that.

Beeyond, stay away from this one. I've already given you guys a chance. What you call mandrel is what the rest of the world calls cutting angles on stainless piping and MIG welding the two together. Not satisfied.

Anyone who can do some really good work looking for some extra cash (~$300) PM me or reply to this post. I just need the piping. The cold side is 95% of the work. The hot side is a very simple piece.

Josh or John, I probably know you guys best on here. Do you know if JP would be able to do this? I still need my god damn e-brake welded too. I lost his number.

Heres some pics.. Its not into any detail with the piping, just a Saab with a FMIC.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z172/Guteman/intercooler.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z172/Guteman/P7190006.jpg

Slow Joe
07-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Why would a Saab need something like that :-p

P.S. Mine still needs brakes :rolf

70 cutlass 442
07-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Hello All,

Beeyond, stay away from this one. I've already given you guys a chance. FMIC.

:rolf PM sent

swift steve
07-22-2008, 12:18 AM
id offer my services but do not have the current demand for stainless welding, all i have is mild wire/gas. let me know though, i can order stainless bends and stainless straight, if the money is right i could definitely go buy the tank and wire to do the job, its bends that would be cut to fit with straights and pieces all welded together via mig

rally_scort
07-22-2008, 12:22 AM
i know you mentioned aluminum, but if you can deal with steel for now, id suggest taking it to an exhaust shop.If you have bends that they can copy, it wont cost much at all.If you really wanna get the car back up and running, just throw some paint on the pipes. Ive had friends get pipes bent up, and they only paid $20 each side.Just something to consider, i guess.

Guteman
07-22-2008, 12:25 AM
id offer my services but do not have the current demand for stainless welding, all i have is mild wire/gas. let me know though, i can order stainless bends and stainless straight, if the money is right i could definitely go buy the tank and wire to do the job, its bends that would be cut to fit with straights and pieces all welded together via mig

I am basically looking for this, its whats the Saab aftermarket offers. This is a stainless pipe, but I can do aluminum instead and polish it :)

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/images/9kDeliveryPipe.jpg

I prefer TIG welding, but I do know people can make just as clean welds via MIG.

Guteman
07-22-2008, 12:26 AM
i know you mentioned aluminum, but if you can deal with steel for now, id suggest taking it to an exhaust shop.If you have bends that they can copy, it wont cost much at all.If you really wanna get the car back up and running, just throw some paint on the pipes. Ive had friends get pipes bent up, and they only paid $20 each side.Just something to consider, i guess.

Theres really no rush on this. I have a daily :)

I did consider an exhaust shop, but eh, I'd rather get it done right and the way I want it.

rally_scort
07-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Theres really no rush on this. I have a daily :)

I did consider an exhaust shop, but eh, I'd rather get it done right and the way I want it.

makes sense to me :thumbsup

Russ Jerome
07-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Stainless is for show, holds heat in.
Aluminum for performance, disapates heat (and lighter).

Stainless welds with conventional mig/mix gas with no discoloring
or purousity. The days of special wire/gas are over with todays
general purpose mix gass'. Tig welding is the obvious choice for
stainless for the apearance your looking for.

Flicktitty
07-22-2008, 12:20 PM
LMK where you end up going to get it done. i'm looking for someone to do aluminum piping this winter.

Guteman
07-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Stainless is for show, holds heat in.
Aluminum for performance, disapates heat (and lighter).

Is there anyone here who can agree to what was said above? If so its going to be aluminum.

Guteman
07-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Sry for the post whor'age.

LMK where you end up going to get it done. i'm looking for someone to do aluminum piping this winter.

Will do. I have been exchanging PM's with someone. I'll let you know how it all works out.

UnderPSI
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
What he said is right, that's why you don't see any fast cars with chrome valve covers or rear end covers. It really holds the heat in. I would go with aluminum. I had my piping done in stainless and then had it ceramic coated. It never got warm.

Flicktitty
07-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Alright sounds good. i was going to look into a welding shop to do it but we will see.

WhatsADSM
07-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Is there anyone here who can agree to what was said above? If so its going to be aluminum.

Of course he (Russ) is right, it is the properties of the metals.

Save the stainless for the exhaust, for IC piping Aluminum conducts the heat better, and is lighter to boot. Although it will require a tig to weld, and may cost a bit more.

Guteman
07-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Makes sense to me, I'm not a metal genius. I learned something on BCM, wow! ;)

Russ Jerome
07-22-2008, 04:46 PM

I'd have to say he has a point, he's been hand fabricating all
his own stuff forever, all his scrap built stuff seems to run
pretty strong and consistant....for stuff made out of trash.
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/underhood705r.jpg
He's not real brite, has an attention span of a gnat but everything
he reads he seems to remember :)
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/june08intake.jpg.jpg
You can always polish the aluminum to a show finish, both above
pics are literaly scratch built aluminum peices.

Guteman
07-23-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd have to say he has a point, he's been hand fabricating all
his own stuff forever, all his scrap built stuff seems to run
pretty strong and consistant....for stuff made out of trash.
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/underhood705r.jpg
He's not real brite, has an attention span of a gnat but everything
he reads he seems to remember :)
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/june08intake.jpg.jpg
You can always polish the aluminum to a show finish, both above
pics are literaly scratch built aluminum peices.

I love it when people talk about themselves in the 3rd person! :) Anyways, thanks for the information, its something I didn't know. Nice work on that intake!

BrommosAuto
07-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Could check out furoracing.com