PDA

View Full Version : Block options, need opinions.

Smokey1226
07-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Without going into too much detail, is it smarter to buy a brand new Production block from someone like GM and start a build from there or just bite the bullet and order one from someone like Dart?

Street car, but big power. Im almost positive, a iron block from GM can handle the power but it's also comforting knowing your buying a block from someone like Dart. Its just that its double the $$$ for the Dart over the Production block. Opinions?

UnderPSI
07-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Can't go wrong with a GM iron block. They can handle some big power numbers.

Smokey1226
07-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Hell ya! But what are the true differences if i ordered one from Dart like their sportsman block verus buying one from GM through my cousin (Discount FTW) and going from there?

Also when buying a brand new production block, do i still need to take it to get machined or am i ready to go from there?

Karps TA
07-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Hot Rod this month has a feature on Dart making a new block that's right in the middle. Better then a factory block and priced competitively.

http://www.dartheads.com/news_article_view.php?nak=33

70 cutlass 442
07-20-2008, 04:02 PM
you say big power, define big power? you could get a decent GM production 2 bolt main block for very cheap, get it maged and pressue checked to make sure its good, then put the splayed caps on it which will be stronger then most factory 4 bolt blocks. then depending on how much street time the motor will see maybe do a half fill and easily handel soem big HP #s. BTW, BB or SB? And even if you buy a new Block, you usually need to get it honed to fit your pistons as a set of pistins may very in diamater by a couple thou per set.

badass88gt
07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Any block will need to have all clearances and tolerances checked out and sized according to your componants.

My Dart block was pretty close to perfect.

Smokey1226
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
BBC 4 Bolt Main, and yes i would need it to be honed out to fit pistons. And im positive it will handle the HP range were looking at.

JC70SS
07-20-2008, 06:41 PM
find and old Mark IV block.

Smokey1226
07-20-2008, 06:46 PM
find and old Mark IV block.

it's in the works, but ive found a few 2 bolt mains....i know i could convert it but i'd rather just find a short deck 4 bolt.

wrath
07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
What kind of power are you looking at? LQ4s and LQ9s, albeit not BBCs, take 1000hp on stock cranks and blocks.

I think it'd be kind of neat to take a L18 (496) to new levels. Pick up a crank from a racing boat guy (or entire engine) and slap a pair of nice turbos on it. 496s really like the boost. You can get 450ftlbs at 1500rpm out of them without trying very hard. Between the brutal torque and and a little bit of boost to make the 3500-6000rpm range smile it'd be fast.

I'd lean that way myself but I ran the numbers and anything but going straight and it doesn't make sense due to weight.

Smokey1226
07-20-2008, 08:15 PM
What kind of power are you looking at? LQ4s and LQ9s, albeit not BBCs, take 1000hp on stock cranks and blocks.

I think it'd be kind of neat to take a L18 (496) to new levels. Pick up a crank from a racing boat guy (or entire engine) and slap a pair of nice turbos on it. 496s really like the boost. You can get 450ftlbs at 1500rpm out of them without trying very hard. Between the brutal torque and and a little bit of boost to make the 3500-6000rpm range smile it'd be fast.

I'd lean that way myself but I ran the numbers and anything but going straight and it doesn't make sense due to weight.

Lets just say, we think a lot alike :shades

70 cutlass 442
07-20-2008, 08:20 PM
/\/\ you will have to be more specific, if you want helpin picking enigne parts but fail to tell us your goal then dont expect much serious help..... go buy a alum block with billi rotate parts, that should cover you up to several K HP or more....

Smokey1226
07-20-2008, 08:24 PM
/\/\ you will have to be more specific, if you want helpin picking enigne parts but fail to tell us your goal then dont expect much serious help..... go buy a alum block with billi rotate parts, that should cover you up to several K HP or more....

I thank you for wanting to help however I've got everything i need, and a full parts list. I just wanted to know who's went down the full build road and to know if they feel its better to start with a production block or just order one in. But due to having a lot of connections with parts/work/shops i'd rather go my route so i know whats going in it.

Im keeping everything on the DL.

juicedimpss
07-20-2008, 09:59 PM
a stock 4 bolt bbc will take 1000 hp relaibly.
past that you are on borrowed time.

forest
07-20-2008, 10:32 PM
I thank you for wanting to help however I've got everything i need, and a full parts list. I just wanted to know who's went down the full build road and to know if they feel its better to start with a production block or just order one in. But due to having a lot of connections with parts/work/shops i'd rather go my route so i know whats going in it.

Im keeping everything on the DL.

we got a bbc for sale that just got pulled from a boat, short block only, factory steel crank, 7/16 rod bolts and looks to be in good shape. PM me for details, customer is selling it through us.

wrath
07-20-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't know what your connections are or if you can get cheap boat parts or not but when I ran the numbers it cost the same to make 1000hp starting with a 6.0L as with a 496/8.1L. Mostly because the rotating assembly in a 6.0L is pretty decent but junk at 6,000rpm (if a cast crank from a pickup) in a 8.1L. That and you can pick up car people's leftovers for the 6.0L.

8.1L can make a lot more power though, especially with money. Dooley makes some awesome oil pans for example. There is a ton of shit out there, especially in the marine world. For some reason boat people seem to have money. Never understood how someone could have money when it only gets like 4mpg at cruise.

8.1L has some serious novelty factor though. Doesn't have the "oh, even my GRANDMA has done that" connotation. It's just kind of fat with those ginormous cast heads and Raylar heads aren't cheap.

I don't know if I'd go the 454 route either. I think it's just because I always thought tall decks were neat.

World makes some awesome stuff but it's well out of my pricerange. It'd be neat to have a 4.5" bore 4.75" stroke toy and spray it like the Orkin man.

Flicktitty
07-20-2008, 11:00 PM
2jz ;)

Smokey1226
07-20-2008, 11:24 PM
2jz ;)

lol, you silly man you! Id love too but, after sitting down with Pa he basically made me realize that if im going to do this afterall its gotta be 100% what i want, and not looking back. Ive always wanted me supra but i just cant get past the sound of a cammed V8. Its going to be a LONG process either way...still have to get the car/chasis in the driveway.

modmachz
07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I will tell you a few things there little fella!!!
I would use a dartblock or world products for starters. You will achieve more for less with these choices. For one a stock gm block does not have the features in Them, such as better oiling, stronger main area Yadda, yadda, yadda. The First thing is you need to figure out , are you doing this the 100% correct way! With that goes what is your Budget? Once you know that you can than determine what grade of parts being used to build this engine.
If you need help figuring this out, I can help you make serious h.p The best way for your budget! I think I may have built one or two of these in my time!!:banana1:

DK....