PDA

View Full Version : Water in my gas tank..

Mr Twigbert
07-18-2008, 02:23 PM
I think I have water in my gas tank of my Dodge Intrepid..

I say this because the last time I filled up was just days after the huge amounts of rain we got ( I don't drive the car much so gas lasts me a long time).. And now my car stalls randomly.. I can't figure out any pattern to the stalling either.. I can drive for a few days and nothing happens.. Then I can be driving and it will stall twice in one day.. I will be driving on the highway and the RPMs will drop from 2,500ish to 1 and then shoot up to normal in a second, causing the car to 'jerk'.. Sometimes it will just out right stall on the highway, forcing me to push it into neutral, start it and toss it back in gear..

The car acted like this about a year and a half ago too.. It went on for a few months and over the winter it never stalled on me once.. Now, it's back again and doing the same thing as before.. I never did anything about it the first time it acted up and just kinda went away but that took months.. This time I went out and got some NAPA Thermo-Aid (Gas treatment) that is supposed to remove water..

My question is: The bottle says it treats up to 22 gallons.. But is it better to put it in w/ like no gas in the tank and make it very concentrated? Or, fill up and put it in? Or should I fill up and put 2 bottles in? The cars gas light is on right now so it's low and I'm not sure what to do..

What do ya think?

70 cutlass 442
07-18-2008, 02:28 PM
just add it to the tank and see what happens, if its to concentrated is may not want to run the best as that stuff is isoprophayl (misspelt)

Cryptic
07-18-2008, 02:40 PM
After one or two tank fulls of gas has gone through the system, you should then be OK if it is a water issue.

Prince Valiant
07-18-2008, 02:42 PM
is the car otherwise showing any codes? More wouldn't be better per se...it just makes it so that the water is able to mix with the gas, and not exist in a separated state as is normally the case. But it shouldn't hurt to run more either.

Smokey1226
07-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I say you run a tank of 100Unleaded race gas through it, it'll run MUCH better and it will smell hella good! Then you can go back to pump gas, and realize how much better running Race gas is :D A little more expensive but your rich so that doesnt matter! lol

Troutman
07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
just add it to the tank and see what happens, if its to concentrated is may not want to run the best as that stuff is isoprophayl (misspelt)

Isopropyl alcohol will take care of it. i just used a few bottles of the red Heet (which contains it)when i got bad gas last year. i put 3 in..didnt hurt a thing

0TransAm0
07-18-2008, 03:28 PM
fill the tank first then put the bottle of stuff in.. do what the directions say to do how about that... :)

my buddy put a bottle of that shit in his tank once and it only had 1/4 tank and the car would barley even run untill he filled it and then it took a day to get it to run good...

Prince Valiant
07-18-2008, 04:24 PM
alot of times when I hear about random cutting out, I think to possible fuel filter related issues.

BoosTT
07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
note: water floats over gas, so unless you're really low on gas, you shouldn't suck in water.

It's bad for 02 sensors and cats, if you way over do those fuel additives.

Russ Jerome
07-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Water in a fuel injected car will be low on power at high rpm after
it has been run until the fuel is hot. Your car returns unused fuel
to the tank and mixxes the fuel/water to a point it's finely blended.

If it doesnt pop or bang, miss or feel weak going up the Moreland
hill after hot, I kinda doubt its water in the fuel. As noted the magic
mystery alcohal blends your gonna ad dont "remove" the water if
there is any it simply congels the two. Your closed purge system on
your cars fuel system leaves no place for the water to evap. Run out
what you have...better yet come over to my house and we will get
that bad fuel out and put it in my old carbed truck :) I'll even scan
it and see what's realy wrong for free!

Is that a 3.5?

Troutman
07-18-2008, 05:24 PM
note: water floats over gas, so unless you're really low on gas, you shouldn't suck in water.

what???? water is more dense, and weighs about 2 pounds more per gallon than gasoline..therefore it sinks

GRAMPS SS
07-18-2008, 05:56 PM
I think I have water in my gas tank of my Dodge Intrepid..

I say this because the last time I filled up was just days after the huge amounts of rain we got ( I don't drive the car much so gas lasts me a long time).. And now my car stalls randomly.. I can't figure out any pattern to the stalling either.. I can drive for a few days and nothing happens.. Then I can be driving and it will stall twice in one day.. I will be driving on the highway and the RPMs will drop from 2,500ish to 1 and then shoot up to normal in a second, causing the car to 'jerk'.. Sometimes it will just out right stall on the highway, forcing me to push it into neutral, start it and toss it back in gear..

The car acted like this about a year and a half ago too.. It went on for a few months and over the winter it never stalled on me once.. Now, it's back again and doing the same thing as before.. I never did anything about it the first time it acted up and just kinda went away but that took months.. This time I went out and got some NAPA Thermo-Aid (Gas treatment) that is supposed to remove water..

My question is: The bottle says it treats up to 22 gallons.. But is it better to put it in w/ like no gas in the tank and make it very concentrated? Or, fill up and put it in? Or should I fill up and put 2 bottles in? The cars gas light is on right now so it's low and I'm not sure what to do..

What do ya think?

sorry twig...that's not water so to speak.....:devil

Russ Jerome
07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
what???? water is more dense, and weighs about 2 pounds more per gallon than gasoline..therefore it sinks

Put a 50/50 mix in a glass, put it in the freezer for a bit. You can
pour the gas right off the top in 20 minutes (school was good for
something).

You need a bit of water in a tank before the complete pickup gets
overloaded with water, another reason I'd doubt thats the cause.

Diesel and gas looks cool, like an old lava lamp in the bottom :)