PDA

View Full Version : Water softner question

STANMAN
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I have a softner in my house, just wondering if it's OK to dump the water from my dehumidifier in it rather than lugging it all the way upstairs.

juicedimpss
07-16-2008, 01:47 PM
i think id dump it in the sump crock before id would dump it in the watersoftener

oh,one more thing...

IBTL

lordairgtar
07-16-2008, 02:19 PM
No.

Nix
07-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Bob, put the dehumidifier in the corner by your sumpump and route a hose off the back and let it drain naturally into the sump hole. :thumbsup

oh and the answer to your question is a "no" I believe.

STANMAN
07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
That's kinda what I thought. Thanks for the info. Can anyone explain why? I was under the assumption that water softners are self-leveling?

STANMAN
07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Bob, put the dehumidifier in the corner by your sumpump and route a hose off the back and let it drain naturally into the sump hole. :thumbsup

oh and the answer to your question is a "no" I believe.

Yeah, this is what I will end up doing, but with moving and a baby and a new house, I was wondering if this could just be moved down a bit on the "to do" list:rolf

juicedimpss
07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
doesnt your drinking water come out of the softener?

88Nightmare
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM

thats what I was thinking....

Korndogg
get this lil guy. http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/12/dehumidifier-water-purifier-air2water-potable-water-device/

you dont want to drink that water if in fact your drinking water does come from the water softener.

Nix

I believe the water softner has to do with your water heater in some way.

there may be a filter somewhere but Im not sure.

Mmmmmm soft water showers are the best. I hate hard water, my skin is dry enough as it is but hard water makes it hellishly bad.

STANMAN

The water I am dumping in "should" be clean, just water coming out of the air. We drink bottled water anyway, lol. I think it softens more than just your drinking water anyway. I am not sure. Perhaps an expert will chime in and educate all of us on water softening systems:thumbsup

Nix
07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
you dont want to drink that water if in fact your drinking water does come from the water softener.

Hmmm, I never did understand or take the time to figure out how this all works.:durr

Korndogg
07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
thats the thing though. That water isn't really clean. it picks up dust and other airborn things and then just sits in that bucket and any bacteria that is in there will just breed.

88Nightmare
07-16-2008, 03:04 PM
We drink bottled water anyway

thats very "yuppie hollywood" like of you bob :thumbsup

Korndogg
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
So howcome you dont want to just dump it down the drain? Most likely it softens all the water you come in contact to. Like showers, sinks, washer, etc....

Beagle
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
The water I am dumping in "should" be clean, just water coming out of the air. We drink bottled water anyway, lol. I think it softens more than just your drinking water anyway. I am not sure. Perhaps an expert will chime in and educate all of us on water softening systems:thumbsup

Well heres some things to think about. Water collected from any dehumidifier is technically distilled water so it does not contain minerals and other particulates that are removed in a true distillation process. However, a true distillation process condenses the steam of boiled water, and the boiling process kills any microbes and fungi that may be present in the pre-distilled water. Since the surface coils in a dehumidifier are not kept to food-grade cleanliness, microbes and fungi can (and probably do) exist in the collected water and it is therefore not considered safe to drink. In fact, as the water may sit for a while in the collection bucket, the water may be quite stale. I hope this answers your question Bob :thumbsup

70 cutlass 442
07-16-2008, 03:28 PM
/\/\/\ where the hell did that come form nick?

juicedimpss
07-16-2008, 03:28 PM
[/B]

Well heres some things to think about. Water collected from any dehumidifier is technically distilled water so it does not contain minerals and other particulates that are removed in a true distillation process. However, a true distillation process condenses the steam of boiled water, and the boiling process kills any microbes and fungi that may be present in the pre-distilled water. Since the surface coils in a dehumidifier are not kept to food-grade cleanliness, microbes and fungi can (and probably do) exist in the collected water and it is therefore not considered safe to drink. In fact, as the water may sit for a while in the collection bucket, the water may be quite stale. I hope this answers your question Bob :thumbsup

damn,prince valiant signed in with a new screen name.
:rolf

STANMAN
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I have about a zillion things to do right now, and my drain is covered by carpeting (the drain for the air conditioner runs under the carpet) that I don't really have the time to pull up and run a hose under right now. I was hoping that just dumping it in the water softener would be a viable option until I had some free time.

STANMAN
07-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Besides, the water softner is far from a closed system, so it must be cleaned AFTER it sits in the plastic tub where the salt is. I mean when I go to dump water (or salt) in, it has various "things" already floating on the top, the water that is in with the salt in that part of the softner is far from clean:rolf

Beagle
07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
/\/\/\ where the hell did that come form nick?

Was I gone long? :rolf

indyzmike
07-16-2008, 09:42 PM
No, do not dump the water in the brine tank. The softener measures the amount of water it puts into the brine(salt) tank. By adding more water to the brine tank, your softener could make the water too soft or just waste salt. Floor drain, sump pump, or combination tubs are where it should go.

Mike

STANMAN
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
No, do not dump the water in the brine tank. The softener measures the amount of water it puts into the brine(salt) tank. By adding more water to the brine tank, your softener could make the water too soft or just waste salt. Floor drain, sump pump, or combination tubs are where it should go.

Mike

Thank you sir, the explination is very appreciated, as I think we were all kind of thinking it wasn't ok, but didn't quiet know why. Now we all know, and knowing is half the battle (insert GI Joe theme song here)!!!!!