PDA

View Full Version : Turbo LT1???????

team beater
07-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Curious to just gain some info from some people who have done turbo setups on LT1's, info from someone who have done it on a c4 vette would be super awesome but any info would be great.
Cost, tune, turbo, intercooler, remote mounting, injectors, psi, hp gains, who did the work, etc.....

juicedimpss
07-15-2008, 11:54 PM
stock pcm is not very boost friendly,good luck with the tune. you really need to go with an aftermarket management system on the lt1 cars for something that drives well.

Beagle
07-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Or put a carb on it but whats the point of that.

FourEyedFord
07-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Or put a carb on it but whats the point of that.

Whats wrong with a carbed turbo setup?

70 cutlass 442
07-16-2008, 04:45 AM
I thought STS made a kit for your car, but was a bit pricey, you may be $$ ahead just to get the Vortech setup and run what ever they have for fuel mngmnt. Blow through is a OK idea, but you will have over a grand into a good carb alone, plus new intake manifold, all new fuel system and so on!

Breecher_7
07-16-2008, 05:04 AM
STS's products are garbage. Ive seen a few of there setups in person. I wouldnt wish that junk on anyone.

Poncho
07-16-2008, 06:02 AM
STS's products are garbage. Ive seen a few of there setups in person. I wouldnt wish that junk on anyone.

For the right price I'd rock a pair on my car.

GHOSST
07-16-2008, 06:08 AM
I wouldn't mind a STS remote mount, decent prices, susposedly easily install, with just a tune and some injectors they make it seem easy. Good luck with anything LT1 though...

Z28Roxy
07-16-2008, 07:15 AM
lt1boost.net

HAMRHEAD
07-16-2008, 09:57 AM
The first place to start is to figure the budget after that it is easy. Cheap, go rear mount. Quality but expensive, go custom front mount. What are you looking at???

70 cutlass 442
07-16-2008, 02:02 PM

and this info is based on what? Im not a fan of rear mounted turbos at all, but garbage? :confused

Breecher_7
07-16-2008, 05:04 PM
and this info is based on what? Im not a fan of rear mounted turbos at all, but garbage? :confused

If you get a chance to see a STS kit installed, you will understand. Its done cheaply and looks like hell. Not to mention, the power gains with there remote setup are pathetic from what ive seen vs a direct under hood setup.

Beagle
07-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Whats wrong with a carbed turbo setup?

There nothing wrong with it. But if your going to go from FI to carbed on an lt1 you should ditch the LT1 completely and get a gen 1 sbc. :thumbsup

juicedimpss
07-16-2008, 05:15 PM
There nothing wrong with it. But if your going to go from FI to carbed on an lt1 you should ditch the LT1 completely and get a gen 1 sbc. :thumbsup

true,the only benefit the lt1 has would be the reverse cooling.

GRAMPS SS
07-16-2008, 06:05 PM
For the right price I'd rock a pair on my car.

you sir have NO MONEY,.....go back to your wish book :thumbsup

70 cutlass 442
07-16-2008, 07:33 PM
If you get a chance to see a STS kit installed, you will understand. Its done cheaply and looks like hell. Not to mention, the power gains with there remote setup are pathetic from what ive seen vs a direct under hood setup.

you must have seen a hacked to hell kit then or a poor installer, STS would be far from my first pick for a forced induciton setup, but i thought they wernt half bad, but regardless, i dislike remote mount anything when its time for turbos..... On that note, i would still strongly reccomend a centrificual blower for that car, turbos are fun but not when its time to put under the hood of a vette.

Beagle
07-17-2008, 01:49 AM
you must have seen a hacked to hell kit then or a poor installer, STS would be far from my first pick for a forced induciton setup, but i thought they wernt half bad, but regardless, i dislike remote mount anything when its time for turbos..... On that note, i would still strongly reccomend a centrificual blower for that car, turbos are fun but not when its time to put under the hood of a vette.

Turbo's + adjust on the fly = Greater than blowers. Who doesnt like a blower but on a fuel injected car id rather have a turbo. Driveability is better as well.

Beagle
07-17-2008, 08:45 AM
lt1boost.net

Sorry Roxy, Jon doesnt make these kits anymore.:(

Poncho
07-17-2008, 08:48 AM
you sir have NO MONEY,.....go back to your wish book :thumbsup

ah yes gotta fix all that body damage to my car first.. :thumbsup

forest
07-17-2008, 11:09 AM

haha yup, what he said, the thought of having an oil pump that you are depending on for the return oil from the back of the car to keep running, the way the boost piping sits 1 INCH from the drivers side cat and sits near the whole exhaust all the way down from the motor to turbo is DISGUSTING. I just tuned a GTO with one of these on it and the design is HORRIBLE!!!!!! I agree that turbo is the way to go, but not sts. Nothing like trying to cool down air that is 250 degrees. This guy went a bought a methanol kit just to make the car work somewhat ok. I havent even gotten into turbo sizing issues like too small of a Turbine Aspect Ratio to spool up quicker because the turbo is too far away from the motor, or boosting through your cats, and the heat generated by doing so..... the list goes on and on. do it right, put the turbo where it belongs, as close to the motor as is possible. :thumbsup

70 cutlass 442
07-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Turbo's + adjust on the fly = Greater than blowers. Who doesnt like a blower but on a fuel injected car id rather have a turbo. Driveability is better as well.

Turbos are better, hands down, but i reccomended that because of the ammount of room under the hood of any vette, yes ive seen many turbo setups on vettes, but lots of moving of parts and mods had to be done. on a side note, call me when your lazy ass gets up, i got some parts for you.