PDA

View Full Version : probably a silly question

Silver86
07-15-2008, 07:53 PM
any diablo 2 players here?

i just started up my account again and looking for some faces to play with...

anyone?

ND4SPD
07-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Not I... I'm busy playing World of Warcraft on my own private server right now.

Deggy
07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
I would start playing Diablo 2 again, gotta brush up my mad skillz yo. Before 3 comes out.

Silver86
07-16-2008, 01:49 AM
I would start playing Diablo 2 again, gotta brush up my mad skillz yo. Before 3 comes out.

exactly why i picked it up again

ND4SPD
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I never played Diablo 2 much. My wife was a huge Diablo fan so either way we'll be getting it when it comes out. Anyway, when you guys get bored with that, if you want to play WoW for free, let me know and I'll set some accounts up for you on my server if you want. It runs client 2.4.2 and has the Burning Crusade expansion.

lit666
07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
I'll be playing warhammer when it comes out in the fall

wikked
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
After 5yrs of D2, I'm done with that game.

*see avatar for current addiciton*

ND4SPD
07-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Are you playing on private servers or the official ones Wikked?

Silver86
07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I never played Diablo 2 much. My wife was a huge Diablo fan so either way we'll be getting it when it comes out. Anyway, when you guys get bored with that, if you want to play WoW for free, let me know and I'll set some accounts up for you on my server if you want. It runs client 2.4.2 and has the Burning Crusade expansion.

ive never played WoW... always been partial to FFXI... but i wouldnt mind trying it... what do i need to do?

ND4SPD
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Well first off you need the client software... Either download it from a bittorrent site or buy it or get a copy from someone. I think it's down to about $20 just about everywhere. For a while there were "trial" DVDs at Target and a few places. They only cost a few bucks if they're still out there. As far as The Burning Crusade expansion, again you're going to either have to download it or buy it (or get a copy from someone). Then you install it... and then let the patcher start running. Depending on the version you start with, that could take a while. Let it run patches (which it can get from the official servers) until it gets up to version 2.4.2 then don't let anymore patches run. Once you get to that point, let me know and I can get you set up on my server.

There are a few main differences between playing on the official servers, and a private server.

1) Population. There are over 7million people spread out on the official servers. That's a lot of people to play with, though you'll probably only encounter a few hundered at a time. On a private server there usually aren't more than 100 people on any one server because if you go over that, it gets to be too much for the kinds of servers us average people can afford. My server is sitting on an old Dell Dimension 4400 w/1GB (2.x GHz P4) in our basement that's been loaded with Windows Home Server (which is a scaled down version of MS Small Business Server 2003). Right now, I'm the only person playing on it. The most people that have ever been on at once was 4 (myself, two friends, and my wife). For the most part, other than all the people running around, there isn't too much difference in the gameplay between the official and a private server. You still do the same stuff on a private server that you do on the official ones. If you have enough people you can raid the instance dungeons or go out onto the battlefields just like the official servers. Usually there aren't enough people to tackle the instance dungeons, so I usually just jack up people's hit points and so forth temporarily so they can make it through them.

One of the nice things about the private servers is certain aspects of the game can be changed. For example, on the official servers you can only have 2 side professions (i.e. blacksmith and miner). On a private server you can have all ten if you want. The drop rates, XP rates, etc... can all be adjusted as well. I usually bump them up a bit because with the absence of the community auction house... sometimes it can be hard to find rare items.

The last difference is that the private servers are free, whereas the official servers cost what... $15+ a month to play on. It's not that $15 is unreasonable, but to get your money's worth if you get distracted by real life and don't play much every now and then... you're just pissing money away.

Finally with a private server you can do stuff like this...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc93/xND4SPDx/Funny/WoWRabbitofCaerBannog.jpg

I created the killer rabbit from Monty Python & The Holy Grail and stuck it in there. Then summoned it in the middle of one of the larger cities. The thing went berzerk, killed me, then proceeded to rampage through the city killing all of the NPC guards. Needless to say, I had to take it out. :D

If you want to know more about WoW:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Silver86
07-17-2008, 05:42 AM
sounds like fun... ill have to see if i can find a disc

Silver86
07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
question? do i need to buy the disc? or can i just download the 10-day demo from blizzard and play that way?

i plan on doing this tomorrow afternoon when ive got some free time...

ND4SPD
07-20-2008, 05:32 PM
The demo should work just fine as long as you patch it to 2.4.2

if the demo is patched to 2.4.3 or later it may not work.

I'm trying to get a registration web site up, but it's turning into a major project (having to learn about IIS, PHP, etc... in order to do it).

whitepony
07-20-2008, 10:55 PM
question? do i need to buy the disc? or can i just download the 10-day demo from blizzard and play that way?

i plan on doing this tomorrow afternoon when ive got some free time...

oh man..... not another video game sheesh!!!

:rolleyes:

Silver86
07-21-2008, 04:18 PM
i stopped the update @ 2.4.2.

what next?

wikked
07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Are you playing on private servers or the official ones Wikked?

official... I like the crowds/bg's :]