PDA

View Full Version : need head gasket help on a 97 cavalier

Waver
07-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey, my girlfriends cavi convert blew the head gasket on saturday. She took it to the shop that she has been going to for years and they refust to touch it. I cant do it because I am still in the hospital and in a fair amount of pain. So if anyone wants to do this job, and you will be paid for it, let me know....She needs it done asap. pm me your estimate if interested.....
the engine is the 2.4l twin cam

Please help a guy out.

Holeshot
07-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Ill help you with parts if you need.

lit666
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
why did they refuse to do it?

Waver
07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
why did they refuse to do it?

beats me.....but it is geting taken care of right now........thanks greg

Slow Joe
07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Again? :rolf

loud91rs
07-15-2008, 04:16 PM
:rolf:rolf:rolf

BAD LS1
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Wow are you in for a project there! I fixed one up that 203K on it with the original head gasket and timing chain/tensioner too! Them quad 4's seem to be ok provided you maintain them....

I will see if my roomate is intrested in doing it.

70 cutlass 442
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
PM Sent

FASTZ2895
07-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Wow are you in for a project there! I fixed one up that 203K on it with the original head gasket and timing chain/tensioner too! Them quad 4's seem to be ok provided you maintain them....

I will see if my roomate is intrested in doing it.

It may need a head replacement... But that will be kinda costly...

Cutlass Queen
07-16-2008, 11:42 AM
If u need any used parts, I can get you a deal through H&H Nick

FASTZ2895
07-16-2008, 12:36 PM
If u need any used parts, I can get you a deal through H&H Nick

need a price on the head:thumbsup

Berettaspeed
07-16-2008, 08:21 PM
is this in the 2.4 twin cam... I would get another shop to look at it IMO. TOO many techs throw the old Quad family head gasket problem. when its not the head gasket, but the cracking in the head near the #2 or #3 plug. most of the time at least.

ask them how they test for bad head gasket... i know we just take our gas sniffer and check for HC in the coolant. some places use dye and the HC in the coolant will change the color of the liquid. make sure something like this has been done to verify the problem.

i dunno why, but i think the engines are easy to work on. i hear so many complaints about working on them. but they are really not that hard to fix.

FASTZ2895
07-17-2008, 09:56 AM
is this in the 2.4 twin cam... I would get another shop to look at it IMO. TOO many techs throw the old Quad family head gasket problem. when its not the head gasket, but the cracking in the head near the #2 or #3 plug. most of the time at least.

ask them how they test for bad head gasket... i know we just take our gas sniffer and check for HC in the coolant. some places use dye and the HC in the coolant will change the color of the liquid. make sure something like this has been done to verify the problem.

i dunno why, but i think the engines are easy to work on. i hear so many complaints about working on them. but they are really not that hard to fix.

The engine is not hard to work on. It's just the items you have to remove. That should also be replace. The timing chain and timing chain gluides, water pump and the head. So if you find a used head. You have too machine it and you should do a valve job on it. So the cost to do a head job has gone totally up.