PDA

View Full Version : Job troubles, any advice?

rally_scort
07-14-2008, 11:24 AM
First some background

I signed up at a staffing agency back in the beginning of march.I was setup with a company that installs pallet racking/portafab offices/mezzanines/automated storage.I was told that i would be subject to a 90 day probationary period before i could be considered for employment.Fair enough.Everything is going fine, i show up on time, work a full day, and never hear a gripe about my work ethic.After about 1 month, i was told by my foreman that if I keep up what I'm doing, Ill have no trouble becoming an employee.Skip forward to 3 months, I still havent heard anything negative.I start to try and set up a time with the project manager to discuss my employment.For the next 3 weeks, I get the runaround.Now im nearing 4 months, and still havent had a chance to talk with him.I call, never get a call back.I leave messages on his cell phone, nothing.By this time, im thinking somethings up.Now im nearing 4.5 months, and i finally get to talk to him.He pulls me outside, he starts off telling me that he likes what ive been doing, but hes had complaints about my work ethic.Now remember, i havent heard one bad thing since i started the job.Now my understanding is, if you have an employee that isnt up to par, you make it known that something is wrong.So anyway, he tells me that hes going to have to extend my probationary period for another month or so.This is when i start to get bent.I remain calm and tell him that this is the first time ive heard about this, and that im not sure why it took a month of tracking him down to hear suprises.I tell him that i cant keep working for another month, without a guarantee that i have a shot at employment.In the back of my head, im thinking when another month goes by, what is he going to tell me.I tell him that ive been working for $** an hour for the past 4 months, and that i cant stay at that wage.He tells me that i was supposed to recieve a raise after the first 2 months.Now its getting a little harder to hold my composure.He said that he advised the foreman that is in contact with the staffing agency, to give me a raise since i was a good candidate for employment.I tell him Ive watched my checks, and i havent recieved the raise.I also bring up to him that i have never recieved the extra income when i worked hours in 32F or less.Im supposed to recieve 10% of my wage/hr extra when i work in freezing temperatures.He basically defends himself and says hes very busy and that hell look into it.I leave feeling like i just got pounded in the ass for the last 2 month, and i dont know what my options are.I ended up not showing up for work today, and im meeting with the staffing agency later today.

as a side note, i was told that its OSHA regulations that state that employees are eligible for compensation when working in hazardous hot/cold conditions.Ive worked in over a dozen freezers that were 0F or colder, and never saw a dime for it.I tried looking at OSHA's website but couldnt locate any regulations that would apply.Anybody fluent with finding something like that? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

4eyedstang
07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
if you rely need the job just do your work and don't rock the boat calling OSHA or whining about little things will guarantee you will never make it in the company just be patient some times it can take years to be permanent if you don't need the job that much take a big fat sh*t on the hood of the big bosses car they love that lol

PureSound15
07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
The interesting part is that whatever company you are working for is paying the agency for your employment, renting you persay. That company basically whores out their HR to the agency who gets paid based on the number or people that are hired after the trial period. So, that being said, perhaps there is a conflict between the company and the agency (Many of them just raised their rates with the .5% increase in unemployment).

I don't get into HR stuff too with the business analytical work, but management priciples and theory would predict that if he truly was happy with your work (and not just reporting that he was unhappy with your work to the agency so that he had something against them), he would have provided you with everything you needed.

I didn't find anything in my database about the compensation for extreme weather, I'm sure Dave would know about it if it exsists. I've only been involved with which ever point it is that ensures that companies provide their employees with the best solution to the weather (wrapping a building... whatever else they do, I'm not into the industrial stuff).

If you have the means and info... I'd go above him. It seems as though there is some conflict above him or around him that he's passing off to you.

rally_scort
07-14-2008, 12:07 PM
The interesting part is that whatever company you are working for is paying the agency for your employment, renting you persay. That company basically whores out their HR to the agency who gets paid based on the number or people that are hired after the trial period. So, that being said, perhaps there is a conflict between the company and the agency (Many of them just raised their rates with the .5% increase in unemployment).

I don't get into HR stuff too with the business analytical work, but management priciples and theory would predict that if he truly was happy with your work (and not just reporting that he was unhappy with your work to the agency so that he had something against them), he would have provided you with everything you needed.

I didn't find anything in my database about the compensation for extreme weather, I'm sure Dave would know about it if it exsists. I've only been involved with which ever point it is that ensures that companies provide their employees with the best solution to the weather (wrapping a building... whatever else they do, I'm not into the industrial stuff).

If you have the means and info... I'd go above him. It seems as though there is some conflict above him or around him that he's passing off to you.

see thats what kinda bugs me.I know the staffing place is making a killing off me working under thier wing.Now why, if they had thoughts of hiring me, would they keep paying a premium to keep me? Why not give me the job, a small raise, and still be under the wage thier paying the staffers.I think you might be right about a conflict though.There are alot of things temps cant do, such as drive the company vehicles, drive fork trucks,unload trucks, etc.It seems like more of an inconvenience to them to keep me as a temp, rather than hire me on.Who knows, at this point, im looking into other employment, i just want to know if i can get the back pay that i was entitled too.

BoosTT
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
When I worked via a staffing agent, when the company hired you. You company had to pay the staffing agent 33% of your wage for the next year. I would guess they are trying to decide if you're needed enough to pay 133% a normal salary. I would try to get out of there... sounds unstable. Good luck getting a yearly raise on time, ect.

domokun
07-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I concur with whats been said above. but work on some engrish ;) 2 spaces after periods :)

DirtyMax
07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
They may be paying a "premium" to the staffing agancy but they're still getting off easier than having you be their own employee. In addition to the higher wage, there'd be, benefits, insurance costs to them, etc., all of which are faaar more expensive then your "rental fee" is costing them.

Trust me... the company wants you to stay there as a temp as long as possible and then if you leave, they'll just call in to the staffing company and get another person to do the job you vacated.

Either stick it out and hope things work out or else find a company hiring directly. Staffing agencies are FTL for good hard-working people.

SSDude
07-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Your being used.
This company doesn't want the extra expense that comes with a full time employee.
Time to look for your next career opportunity.:thumbsup

PureSound15
07-14-2008, 04:12 PM
There are agencies that are "premium" agencies as well, they charge a lot more but the employers pay it because they're truly looking for a quality employee. You might want to do some research if you're planning on using one of them again.

Lot's of companies use agencies so they get that trial period. I'm sure there are people on here that know A LOT more about them, but I do know that Aerotek specifically is one of the higher end places.

Korndogg
07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
I never heard of getting extra money for working in freezing/hot temps. If thats the case I want more money in winter :rolf

lordairgtar
07-14-2008, 04:25 PM
I got my present job through a staffing agency back in '91. After the three month probation, I got hired. The weird economy these days may be leaving bosses a little skittish. Have you noticed a slow down or less customers? It does sound like the company is keeping you on "waivers" for as long as it can so they don't have to come up with the costs of your insurance and other bennies. As far as 4eyed saying these agencies are FTL, I know that i would not have been hired if I would have cold-called the company. I proved myself under someone else's aegis, and I got hired. Also, Puresound, it's two words; per se, not persay. I usually don't gripe about spelling and all that but that one bugs me...OK the nurse is here with my meds....aaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

rally_scort
07-14-2008, 04:25 PM
I never heard of getting extra money for working in freezing/hot temps. If thats the case I want more money in winter :rolf

hahaha, im not sure if its correct.This was the last of my worries, id rather start figuring out how i can get some sort of backpay for the raise i never recieved.Either way, im done with both the company and the staffing place.Id much rather start over, then deal with more bs farther down the road.

Rocket Power
07-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah no kidding I spent a few weeks outside all day when the temp was a high of 0* in a large open area with plenty of wind :rolf

Rocket Power
07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
but I do know that Aerotek specifically is one of the higher end places.
Hmm maybe I shoulda called them back one of the bunch of times they called with a job:goof.
Oh well

STANMAN
07-14-2008, 06:05 PM
When an employee is doing something wrong it is their supervisors job to let them know what it is, and how to correct it, and what kind of time frame they are looking for it to be corrected in. If you go to your supervisor and give him the "skinny", that your intention all along was to get hired (he/she should already know that, lol) and that you need to know where you aren't meeting the mark, they will tell you all you need to know if you listen hard enough. If they have some real concrete things that need improvement, you will hear them. If they hem and haw around the subject (or if heaven forbid they actually just tell you the truth), you know that it really isn't you, but them. Maybe they are not in the position to hire you right now, but really like your work and instead of just being honest they want to string you along as long as they can and hope that they can hire you sometime before you decide to quit. Maybe there are actual issues that they would like to see resolved. I mean have they hired anyone else that has come on at the same time or after you? That would be a warning signal that something wasn't right with you. However, if everyone is in the same boat you're in, it could just be business conditions for them. Talk to your supervisor. Ask him to be honest, and then listen to what he says, you should be able to make an informed choice from there. The project manager is probably really to "distant" from your situation to really be of any help, that's what supervisors (or foreman) are for, so he's probably really not pulling your chain, he probably really doesn't know. Talk to your supervisor and PM me if you need a supervisor translation, I have been one for lots of years, I have kind of learned how some of us can talk:rolf

rally_scort
07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
When an employee is doing something wrong it is their supervisors job to let them know what it is, and how to correct it, and what kind of time frame they are looking for it to be corrected in. If you go to your supervisor and give him the "skinny", that your intention all along was to get hired (he/she should already know that, lol) and that you need to know where you aren't meeting the mark, they will tell you all you need to know if you listen hard enough. If they have some real concrete things that need improvement, you will hear them. If they hem and haw around the subject (or if heaven forbid they actually just tell you the truth), you know that it really isn't you, but them. Maybe they are not in the position to hire you right now, but really like your work and instead of just being honest they want to string you along as long as they can and hope that they can hire you sometime before you decide to quit. Maybe there are actual issues that they would like to see resolved. I mean have they hired anyone else that has come on at the same time or after you? That would be a warning signal that something wasn't right with you. However, if everyone is in the same boat you're in, it could just be business conditions for them. Talk to your supervisor. Ask him to be honest, and then listen to what he says, you should be able to make an informed choice from there. The project manager is probably really to "distant" from your situation to really be of any help, that's what supervisors (or foreman) are for, so he's probably really not pulling your chain, he probably really doesn't know. Talk to your supervisor and PM me if you need a supervisor translation, I have been one for lots of years, I have kind of learned how some of us can talk:rolf

i think some of that is true, but the one thing i dont understand is this.If they truely wanted me as an employee, why would they **** me on my raise that i was entitled to? That to me, is a sign that they could care less if i leave or not.I suppose that i should have mentioned what the supervisor told me i was doing wrong.He said he had complaints that i was acting like i know everything.Now this struck me as odd, because im constantly trying to learn and ive actually been told by the foreman to figure things out on my own.Im the type that if i dont know 100% of what im doing, ill ask as many times as it takes for me to accomplish something.After hearing that, I began to think that this was an easy copout for him to keep me around.Im constantly put to work by myslelf, becuase ive learned very quickly and i guess they trust me to work on my own.If i have a problem, you bet ill go over and ask.Another thing that struck me odd, was that there are a few employees that have been around for at least double my time, and are constantly screwing things up,getting into verbal arguements with foremans, breaking equiptment,and working unsafely.Ive had no screwups at all, I do what im told, wear what im told to wear,etc.These idiots are still around, while im put on the back burner.Im starting to see why they use the staffing place, theyd rather have disposable temps, instead of pay out unemployment.After hearing some of the things you guys have posted, im actually happy im outta there.I wont be going back, id rather focus this week on finding a more sincere company to work for.

Berettaspeed
07-16-2008, 08:37 PM
man i got let go like 3 days before my 30 days.

all i can say is take any job to get money thats needed, or work 2 jobs.

keep that until you find a better job. never quit a job without anohter one willing to hire ya. and be the "little *****" to get that raise and your foot in the door.

STANMAN
07-16-2008, 08:49 PM
i think some of that is true, but the one thing i dont understand is this.If they truely wanted me as an employee, why would they **** me on my raise that i was entitled to? That to me, is a sign that they could care less if i leave or not.I suppose that i should have mentioned what the supervisor told me i was doing wrong.He said he had complaints that i was acting like i know everything.Now this struck me as odd, because im constantly trying to learn and ive actually been told by the foreman to figure things out on my own.Im the type that if i dont know 100% of what im doing, ill ask as many times as it takes for me to accomplish something.After hearing that, I began to think that this was an easy copout for him to keep me around.Im constantly put to work by myslelf, becuase ive learned very quickly and i guess they trust me to work on my own.If i have a problem, you bet ill go over and ask.Another thing that struck me odd, was that there are a few employees that have been around for at least double my time, and are constantly screwing things up,getting into verbal arguements with foremans, breaking equiptment,and working unsafely.Ive had no screwups at all, I do what im told, wear what im told to wear,etc.These idiots are still around, while im put on the back burner.Im starting to see why they use the staffing place, theyd rather have disposable temps, instead of pay out unemployment.After hearing some of the things you guys have posted, im actually happy im outta there.I wont be going back, id rather focus this week on finding a more sincere company to work for.

If they really wanted you as an employee they would admit that you somehow slipped through the cracks, or they just forgot, and back-pay you the monies owed. Was that ever brought up????? If it wasn't, or you bring it up and they are unwilling, that should all the answer you need.

GRAMPS SS
07-16-2008, 08:52 PM
agreed with bob...he is upper management...he would know these things...

GRAMPS SS
07-16-2008, 09:01 PM

me too..BUT.....this hot weather makes me sweat....i hate to sweat....and i hate cold...i want more cash as well....

GRAMPS SS
07-16-2008, 09:03 PM
I got my present job through a staffing agency back in '91. After the three month probation, I got hired. The weird economy these days may be leaving bosses a little skittish. Have you noticed a slow down or less customers? It does sound like the company is keeping you on "waivers" for as long as it can so they don't have to come up with the costs of your insurance and other bennies. As far as 4eyed saying these agencies are FTL, I know that i would not have been hired if I would have cold-called the company. I proved myself under someone else's aegis, and I got hired. Also, Puresound, it's two words; per se, not persay. I usually don't gripe about spelling and all that but that one bugs me...OK the nurse is here with my meds....aaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

you still working for dwayne(spelling)...get him in by you then....

Reverend Cooper
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
or maybe they just temped you and have no interest in hiring you as they slow down they let you go and wait till next year for another person like you to join on. find another company like them and whore yourself out there. someone else that does the same services may want you since your already trained and you also know what the competition does.
At my place if you fvck up it doesn't go for months unattended its gets taken care of immediately. If it isn't handled properly and promptly and you are dismissed there is a possibility for a lawsuit, employers all almost always have employee's written up for occurences so it leaves a paper trail with HR. in case of a firing they have just cause.
seems to me they dont want to fire you,just string you along till the business slows and they can do without you. Move on unless what they offer you gets put in writing and is signed by the owner, Contracts and/or legal binding agreements are where it's at.

wrath
07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
You're cheap labor to them. Staffing agencies cost a premium but they're still cheaper than workman's comp, benefits, fringe, social security benefits, and liability (insurance). Plus, if they have a bad month they can get rid of you.

Here are some hints:
Never go to work for a place that wants your social security number at application time. They don't need anything like that until they're about to make you an offer AT THE EARLIEST. In the real world they don't need it until AFTER you've been made an offer but the offer is usually contingent.
If the place hires a lot of temps they usually use them for cheap labor.
Cheap temp places (Manpower and the like) get used for cheap labor.

lordairgtar
07-17-2008, 12:24 AM
you still working for dwayne(spelling)...get him in by you then....
I don't think he wants to work for the crappy wages CWI pays. Plus we are back down to 6 hour days again. Did you know Duane just had a liver transplant? He was diagnosed with liver cancer a while back and went to Mayo Clinic. He hasn't been in to work for a while now, maybe next week. the monkeys are running the zoo.

rally_scort
07-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I don't think he wants to work for the crappy wages CWI pays. Plus we are back down to 6 hour days again. Did you know Duane just had a liver transplant? He was diagnosed with liver cancer a while back and went to Mayo Clinic. He hasn't been in to work for a while now, maybe next week. the monkeys are running the zoo.

if your referring to me, im not money hungry.Im looking for a job where im not gunna be jerked around for months before i hear bad news.If theres an opening, by all means, throw it my way :D