PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work in the powersports industry?

T-Bag
07-13-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm currently looking at an opportunity at one of the local powersports dealerships in the sales department. It seems like it would be a fun position, as I enjoy motorcycles, jetskis, four wheelers, etc.

Just curious as to if anyone has worked in the industry, or knows somebody who works sales? If so, is there usually a base + commission, or is it straight commission? I would think seeing as how toys don't sell as well as cars, there would be a base. Would this be a career worth looking into, or is the economy in such a state that nobody wants to buy anything anymore?

Thanks for your input.

70 cutlass 442
07-13-2008, 12:50 PM
first, what dealer? and ill tell you that right now ATV sales is dead, jetskies i herd are soso, but are tapering off FAST being after the 4th already. and im unsure of motorcycles right now. We are not paid comission for two reasons, 1. if we make $400 TOTAL on a machine we are beyond lucky... there is seriously no money to be made with all the competition in the area and everyone being undersold. so if we made lets say 10% bouns on a machine, or even 20%..... woohooo, $80..... 2. we may go a month at a time with selling nothing, which blows becuase then your pay check would be $0

Smokey1226
07-13-2008, 12:57 PM
+1, two of our local powersports shops went under in the last year or so. Bad bad business to be in.

Think about it, Whos going to pay $8k for a new jetski and then spend $75 to drive it around for a couple hours. Then need to be refilled! They just arent doing it, and i know first hand as im the one selling them the gas

70 cutlass 442
07-13-2008, 12:58 PM
+1, two of our local powersports shops went under in the last year or so. Bad bad business to be in.

Think about it, Whos going to pay $8k for a new jetski and then spend $75 to drive it around for a couple hours. Then need to be refilled! They just arent doing it, and i know first hand as im the one selling them the gas

well, you cant really use integrity as a example, they went really the poster child of a good dealer.

GRAMPS SS
07-13-2008, 12:59 PM
sales is a funny game...you have to find the right niche..............

T-Bag
07-13-2008, 01:00 PM
first, what dealer? and ill tell you that right now ATV sales is dead, jetskies i herd are soso, but are tapering off FAST being after the 4th already. and im unsure of motorcycles right now. We are not paid comission for two reasons, 1. if we make $400 TOTAL on a machine we are beyond lucky... there is seriously no money to be made with all the competition in the area and everyone being undersold. so if we made lets say 10% bouns on a machine, or even 20%..... woohooo, $80..... 2. we may go a month at a time with selling nothing, which blows becuase then your pay check would be $0

Action Powersports in Waukesha. So what kind of pay would I be expecting if there is no commission?you can PM me also if you want.

Smokey1226
07-13-2008, 01:37 PM
well, you cant really use integrity as a example, they went really the poster child of a good dealer.

I see/talk to Rob on a weekly basis, and he knows just about everyone in that industry.

From what he told me, basically your def not going to get rich in that market.

BeesTwinEG
07-13-2008, 01:44 PM
If you want to make money, You will sell the product no matter what it is. :)
:thumbsup

Smokey1226
07-13-2008, 01:50 PM
If you want to make money, You will sell the product no matter what it is. :)
:thumbsup

x10234832 Either ya got it or ya dont!

T-Bag
07-13-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm not really looking to get rich...just start out at around what I'm making now (a measily 13/hr) and grow from there.

Smokey1226
07-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm not really looking to get rich...just start out at around what I'm making now (a measily 13/hr) and grow from there.

i didnt mean it like that, what i ment was, due to so many others trying to sell powersports equipment added too there are probably others at the same place you look to work that are sales guys too.....its hard to make good money. Everyone is fighting for the same thing. 4 years ago, you would have a cake walk selling stuff. But due to sales IN GENERAL being down, but the same amount of guys trying to sell = a not so good situation.

But that doesnt mean you could get the job and steal the show, and sell more than the other guys. Its just a tough market, but if your willing to work hard you'll do just fine.

Btw: I wish i was making 13/hr :(

88Nightmare
07-13-2008, 03:19 PM
no more AT&T UVerse installations Tyler?

modmachz
07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Personally from what I know About that market, I would Not Make The Move,This economy shit has people thinking many times before buying anything!!!!!

I did alot of work for various dealers, not so much anymore!! That goes for used stuff on the service side as well as new sales.

Chad You Knob..I bet you wish you made 13.00 hr as Much as I wish I could. I do That in 2 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07ROUSHSTG3
07-13-2008, 08:21 PM
if you are making $13, IMO it would be a huge mistake to jump into sales. If the economy were better and people were buying things, I would be saying the opposite. I would hang out where you are for a bit.

wrath
07-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Don't switch jobs to something that is entirely discretionary spending. It'd be like opening a Starbucks right now. You'd have to be retarded.

I wouldn't take any discretionary service or sales related jobs right now as your primary form of income. If you think it's bad right now, you haven't seen anything yet. Wait until people can't afford to keep the repo man from their necessary possessions, let alone "wanted" ones, and it's going to get a lot worse. The middle class is only started to get hammered. I'm incredibly glad I didn't go to work for Mercury Marine in Fond Du Crap.

Rocket Power
07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
if you are making $13, IMO it would be a huge mistake to jump into sales. If the economy were better and people were buying things, I would be saying the opposite. I would hang out where you are for a bit.

+1 Doesn't seem like people are buying expensive toys right now. I think some of the former market (the living beyond your means group) are too busy getting foreclosed on to buy a new four wheeler. And a lot of the rest are paying more for everything from gas to groceries, and don't want to spend the money on something that'll just cost them more money to play with. I think the market for high end toys is low. I'd stay where your at for now, or at least something that isn't commission based

T-Bag
07-13-2008, 09:36 PM
no more AT&T UVerse installations Tyler?

That's what I'm debating on....they treat us like garbage and just gave me two days notice that I have to drop what i'm doing and go to Michigan on monday for a month.

I pretty much made up my mind that a switch would probably be a bad idea with the way the economy is. I looked at all the employment sections of every dealer around here and they are all looking for sales people...something to be said right there. Just sucked it up and packed up my stuff. We will see how things go...I can't afford to flat out quit, too much shit to pay for.

Smokey1226
07-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Chad You Knob..I bet you wish you made 13.00 hr as Much as I wish I could. I do That in 2 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever Mr.Cadillac :thumbsup lol:rolf

70 cutlass 442
07-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Action Powersports in Waukesha. So what kind of pay would I be expecting if there is no commission?you can PM me also if you want.

if you are hourley dont expect 13 an hr. id interview for it and see what they have to offer, but if its strictly comission, remember..... there is very litte profit period in the powersports industry... so keep that in mind

lordairgtar
07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
That's what I'm debating on....they treat us like garbage and just gave me two days notice that I have to drop what i'm doing and go to Michigan on monday for a month.

Ya mean they can install that U-verse crap in Michigan, but they can't install it in Muskego. I did see a survey team from AT&T out here though. Maybe you should sell yachts, the uber-rich don't worry about the economy.

70 cutlass 442
07-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Ya mean they can install that U-verse crap in Michigan, but they can't install it in Muskego. I did see a survey team from AT&T out here though. Maybe you should sell yachts, the uber-rich don't worry about the economy.

But.... How well do you know yachts? I sell Polaris ATVS and Snomobiles because ive been into them since i was 9, i can tell you why every other brand of ATV is crap And why you should buy a polaris and not a different brand.... To me, Product knowledge is HUGE, so if you dont know much about boats then you may not be the best boat sales men

88Nightmare
07-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Tyler, why are they telling you to go to michigan for a month?

And to the polaris salesman, I love polaris products, but I know many that hate the sportsmans. I had a 2006 sportsman 700 efi, I absolutely loved it. Rode like a cadillac, had great power, never had issues with it, but so many others hate it. One guy I know with a Can-Am talks down on polaris's all day long. Not that I disagree with you about the polaris 4wheelers..... what can you tell me about the polaris quads that make them better then the others?

T-Bag
07-13-2008, 11:37 PM

And to the polaris salesman, I love polaris products, but I know many that hate the sportsmans. I had a 2006 sportsman 700 efi, I absolutely loved it. Rode like a cadillac, had great power, never had issues with it, but so many others hate it. One guy I know with a Can-Am talks down on polaris's all day long. Not that I disagree with you about the polaris 4wheelers..... what can you tell me about the polaris quads that make them better then the others?

They are sending us to Michigan because it is extremely busy in the Flint area and extremely slow in the milwaukee area. The place just went green 2 weeks ago. We just aren't opening up enough new places around milwaukee to keep up with how many techs there are. The initial boom is over...seeing as how waukesha was pretty much the first area to get it nearly 2 years ago.

pOrk
07-13-2008, 11:46 PM
If you do get a job at Action, don't take any of the advise of their sales guys. They are all ass bags. The parts people aren't bad, and Laura is good shit. The sales guys = douchebags.

70 cutlass 442
07-13-2008, 11:53 PM

first is the ride quality... weather your 120 lbs or a mere 300 lbs, the sportamsn will ride like a caddy like you already know..... the AWD setup which happens to be a True AWD at the flick of a switch uses a much more durable setup then lets say a visco clutch like the can ams.... in fact Polaris quit using that design in the early 1990's :D for some reason ( hint hint BRP)
Next, BRP uses a inboard breaking system, and ive not only herd, but also seen with my own eyes a broken drive shaft at 30 miles because brakes were applied going down a hill..... Primitive racks.... the outlander 800 will be faster in a drag race but for good reasons, polaris has a 3 star rated tire while can am i beleive uses a 2 star. polaris has thicker rims... which nets to about 72 more lbs on the hubs alone!!!! now turn that into rotating mass and you will now see one reason that the can am is faster.. next is polaris has a heavier gauge boxed frame.... I can go on and on but to be honest, selling a CAN AM is like selling a cummins pickup, the motor is good, but the rest of the quad sucks.... oh and they are made in Mexico.... Wait 2 more weeks and see what polaris has out, you wont beleive what they did to a utility :D