PDA

View Full Version : HELP with tire choice....

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Looking at getting new tires for the mountaineer...need A GOOD snow tire as well as a long lasting all season tire....here are my choices...any comments to yes or no......Right now i have Yokohama Geolander H/T-S, But they are being discontinued and i don't see them as a good winter tire....

Good year-Wrangler RT/S

Bridgestone Dueler H/T D689

Blizzak-DM-Z23

juicedimpss
07-12-2008, 02:53 PM
IMO the bridgestones are nice tires.

nismodave
07-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Since the truck is already 4wd, I wouldnt bother with winter tires unless u have large funds.

I like Bridgestones.

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM
all tires are in the 80.00 range Dave,......mounted and bal included....

nismodave
07-12-2008, 03:09 PM
all tires are in the 80.00 range Dave,......mounted and bal included....

No I meant if you buy winter tires, and unles you intend on using the tires you have now, in spring summer fall for a couple of years, then its cheaper for a GOOD all season tire.

Plus you would surely want seperate rims for the Winter tires.

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 03:18 PM
no....the tires i have now are almost done for...and the rims..they will be used for winter...then in spring i'll have summer tires and new rims....for summer i want to dress it up a little....

Poncho
07-12-2008, 03:36 PM
It better be rollin' on 20's

Prince Valiant
07-12-2008, 03:36 PM
What size rims? What are the current tires sizes now? What size rim do you want for the summer season?

Smokey1226
07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Ill tell you what, ill buy you 3 sets of Tires if you'll just put 1 set on my truck! BTW they are 315/70/17's :D

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 03:48 PM
What size rims? What are the current tires sizes now? What size rim do you want for the summer season?

CHRIS...P235/75/15...........looking into american racing wheels right now....

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 03:49 PM
It better be rollin' on 20's

shut up...............you make no sence...20's on the suv....i don't have your money....put them on your G8...

Breecher_7
07-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's, hands down. Plus they have a 50K warranty.

Slow Joe
07-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Stay away from the Wrangler RT/S at all costs... I had 'em on my wrangler and they were junk...

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Stay away from the Wrangler RT/S at all costs... I had 'em on my wrangler and they were junk...

thnaks joe :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 04:26 PM

never heard of them..:goof..agressive tire...load.....this tire for big trucks...remember this is a SUV....

Slow Joe
07-12-2008, 04:31 PM
My dad had Yokohama Geolandar AT/S on his Tahoe and they took that thing throughanything... I also had Goodyear AT/S on my Grand Cherokee (About the same size ad the Mountaineer) and they were pretty good as well...

But all I've heard latley is in favor of the Bridgestones...

Personally I'd go on tirerack.com and pick through 'em and check ratings... Find the ones with the best ratings in the price range you're looking for and go with those...

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 04:36 PM
tire rack is where i was looking...but then buying from pomps...have a connection there....wink...

Slow Joe
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
orly...

Well, I know who I'm calling when our cars need tires (soon) :rolf

P.S. Return your RSVP card for my wedding... :-p

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 05:01 PM
orly...

Well, I know who I'm calling when our cars need tires (soon) :rolf

P.S. Return your RSVP card for my wedding... :-p

i did......

Slow Joe
07-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Ok, cool... I just wanted to see if it got mailed... And of course, this is the place not through pm... :rolf :D

Breecher_7
07-12-2008, 05:28 PM
never heard of them..:goof..agressive tire...load.....this tire for big trucks...remember this is a SUV....

They are a great all around All terrain tire. Ive had them on every 4wd ive owned from jeeps to 3/4 ton trucks.

GRAMPS SS
07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
They are a great all around All terrain tire. Ive had them on every 4wd ive owned from jeeps to 3/4 ton trucks.

thanks for the help.....:thumbsup

Mudd Runner
07-12-2008, 07:20 PM

x's a million

shoooo32
07-12-2008, 09:51 PM
duelers are the best of the 3 you picked however... my friends have been using generals on there trucks/suvs. cheaper and wear as nice as the bridgestones. And they give me beer to use my tire machine.

SmokinRAM114
07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
come on puff daddy dont be a pansy

http://www.offroadreport.com/images/ss_bogger.jpg

SmokinRAM114
07-12-2008, 11:21 PM
thanks for the help.....:thumbsup

i run them on the deez.

Prince Valiant
07-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Okay....WAYNE, here's my choice for a winter tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Winterforce&tireModel=M%2BS&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=175SR5WFORCES&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Winterforce tires...probably the BEST tire for our environment.

Yes, people can say blank tire out performs them on ice...people can say more than a FEW winter tires outperform them on ice...and they are absolutely correct.

However, the problem here in WI isn't ice...it's slush. We salt the ever livin' tar out of the roads, so there really never is an ice problem like you'd see in Canadia or high in the rockies or more much more rural areas.

The winterforces have very wide channels and a very blocky design with very nice sipping to help move away more of the chunky/stick slushy crap we've got....how well do they work? Proof is in the pudding...even though they had already had 1 year and ~ 40,000 miles on them including summer driving (I originally was going to get summer tires/rims...got lazy, lol). STILL was the winter drag champion due in large part to the strength of those tires on my old 94 Jeep GC w/ 4.0.

And the fact they are 43.00 bucks apiece? No brainer imo.

I selected for you 215/75 R15's because you generally want a narrower tire for winter driving as it'll resist riding on top of the snow, digging in.

But the improvement in not only taking off, but turning, control, and most importantly, braking is tremendous...

As far as summer tires...I'd stick with 16 or 17's. Tires are reasonably priced in those size range; you'll still have some sidewall to cushion the ride, avoiding the jarring of narrow sidewalls, and you can get some decent hwy tires that'll allow you to get decent mileage out of the mountaineer...

Smokey1226
07-12-2008, 11:31 PM
i run them on the deez.

Single stack now? WTF MATE! i cant keep up :thumbsup BTW Im on BFG's T/A KO's They are like sex, when it comes to driving in the snow!

Breecher_7
07-13-2008, 05:15 AM
Single stack now? WTF MATE! i cant keep up :thumbsup BTW Im on BFG's T/A KO's They are like sex, when it comes to driving in the snow!

Buy a set of revos and you will retract that statement. Ill never buy a set of BFG T/A KO's again. JUNK traction off road and in the snow when compared to the revos and NO warranty.

Smokey1226
07-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Buy a set of revos and you will retract that statement. Ill never buy a set of BFG T/A KO's again. JUNK traction off road and in the snow when compared to the revos and NO warranty.

They dont come in a 315.

Breecher_7
07-13-2008, 11:10 AM
They dont come in a 315.

No they dont......... :thumbsup

lordairgtar
07-13-2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.euroshina.com.ua/tyres.php?brand=23&madein=FI&lng=en
These are good tires.

Smokey1226
07-13-2008, 11:43 AM
No they dont......... :thumbsup

:confused

Berettaspeed
07-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Goodyear WRANGLER silent armor tire beat the bridgestone in many tests. the wrangler RT/S is a basic truck tire. but price is high on goodyears.
http://images.circletrack.com/chassistech/ctrp_0801_03_z+product_spotlight+goodyear_tire.jpg
or for a great snow/rain/ and dry traction
the fortera triple tread.
http://www.portalautomotriz.com/site_resources/photos/00009146-constrain-200x300.jpeg
otherwise best tire for the price I would have to say is a BFG A/T hands down. just keep up on your tire rotations with ford trucks.maybe even every 3k miles instead of 6k. horrible tire wear with front positive camber specs. :)
http://performancelifts.com/images/items/BFGAT.jpg

in all terms of mileage there are no rules as to how many miles ANY manufactuer puts on tires. they can put anything they wish. you would have to prove extensive PM to claim tire warrenty. most of the time its done for keep good terms.
same with treadwear. there is no standard for tread wear. all manufactuer have different wear standards.

GRAMPS SS
07-13-2008, 01:11 PM
i'm down to choosing ...........

choices are.....

Goodyear Fortera....

Bridgestone Dueler A/T

Breecher_7
07-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Ive replaced dueller revos under warranty before and it was no questions asked for the most part as long as they were under 50K on them so I dont know what the hell your talking about. As far as the BFG's or silent armors outperforming the revos......Id take the pepsi challenge with that one.... Ive owned the BFG's and they sucks compared and Ive heard noting but crap about the silent armors as far as snow or off road traction goes. A few of my friends purchased them last winter and quickly removed them.

GRAMPS SS
07-13-2008, 05:55 PM
i would of went with the revos...but then i read this....what the hell is "road force balancing".....didn't know what it was or if anyone did it....

I bought these tires because they received the best ratings both professionally and customer rated. The only issue I had was a vibration at 60 MPH which was determined to NOT be a balance problem, but rather a "matching" problem. The tires had to be matched to specific parts of each rim for proper balancing. This required the process of "Road Force Balancing" which isnt normally done. However, once done, the vibration has since gone away. The tires have been superior in both Snow and Rain-- I would definetly buy them again. I have had them for 12000 miles and there is no sign of tread wear yet.

Breecher_7
07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I dont know what the **** that is supposed to mean but ive had mine balanced just like any other tire and have NEVER felt any sort of vibration. Im sure smokinram can attest to this as well.

Prince Valiant
07-13-2008, 06:41 PM
but rather a "matching" problem. The tires had to be matched to specific parts of each rim for proper balancing. There is a dot on there that iirc, is supposed to be mounted on the side of the rim exact opposite of the valve stem...it's the heaviest point of the tire where they connected the two ends to make a round tire. It could be the same side as the dot/valve stem too...I can't recall.

They could have probably just remounted them...

Mudd Runner
07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
dot usually goes at the valve stem as for balancing the revos or any bridgestone/firestone tire balance alot better then any goodyear i've balanced EVER.

SmokinRAM114
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
no vibration problem here

Berettaspeed
07-13-2008, 11:38 PM
match balancing is when you find the true heavy spot on the rim then the true heavy spot on the tire. the machine does it for you and you have to mount and remove rim then rotate it X amount to the point where it claims where "perfect" balance would be. its rarely done due to taking twice as long.

you would have to look up the tests where the bridgestone and goodyear along with other tires were compared. with this test goodyear used it to help sell the wrangler with results.but it doesnt matter what tests say in all honesty. if someone feels someone feels "A" tire is better than "B" tire well the customer always wins due to the fact they feel they have the better tire.

Some tires i think have way better traction that another tire with "higher" traction ratings. but thats just me.

when we do warrenty claims sometimes the company asks for the tires back and has the manager "sign" stating we checked for proper paperwork to verify the claim is ligit.we then send the tires out and they check the tires so the store gets refunded.(company checks to see if the tires have the problem we say it does) Most of the time im sure a manager just signs it off to stay on good terms with a customer. but its the customers who get loud that usually dont get the nice treatment. :)

also yes read up on treadwear and mileage warrenty. there is no standard for treadwear ratings for all manufacture. also any mileage warrenty can be put on any tire. IIRC the silent armor series is 50k-60k as well. mileage warrenty.

the only bad thing i really heard about BFGs and 3 people i know have them and they do regular off roading and HWY driving is the noise when they start to cup or wear problems. loud from what im told. but my dads seem to wear fine so far. im making him rotate them because he has a ford LOL.

Car Guy
07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
I am going to have to agree with Chris (Prince Valiant) on this one hands down. If you're going to mainly use this set of wheels/tires in the winter months the Winterforce's will rock your socks off. Sure there are good all-season tires that would do good in the snow but these will do awesome. The best part is these tires not nearly as soft as the Blizzaks so you can get away with them as an all season tire. I myself would still get some 'summer' tires but if it's above 50 degrees they're not going to wear like butter, which is the case with Blizzaks (or a similar WINTER tire)....

Oh yeah one more thing about the Winterforces, they're super CHEAP...!!! :headbang

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears: