PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to change 2 prong outlet to 3?

HP ADDICT
07-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Just wanted to know if any DIY people or electricians would know how to properly convert it for me cheaply. Got a new tv and would like to convert a outlet for it.
Thanks,
Randy

juicedimpss
07-12-2008, 01:30 PM
go to walgreens,they have 3-2prong adaptors for .99
:D

CobraSnake
07-12-2008, 01:32 PM
yeah don't listen to him. All you need is the plate and the plugs then you just add a ground. Thats all I can really tell you because I've never actually done it myself. But from what I heard its not that hard.

Mark

flyin_blue_egg
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
go on like lowes or home depots websites or go into the stores, i bet there's someone at one of those stores that could walk you through it so you don't have to worry bout electrocuting yourself

wikked
07-12-2008, 01:40 PM
You'll need to buy a 3-prong (grounded) outlet, and a piece of green stranded 14ga. for the ground wire, and a box grounding clip just to be sure.

0. Turn off circuit breaker to that outlet... if you're home alone, plug a radio into that outlet, and turn up full blast so you know when it goes off, that you have the right breaker.
1. Remove faceplate.
2. Remove wiring from old outlet.
3. Connect black wire (hot) to copper screw on new outlet.
4. Connect white wire (neutral) to silver screw on new outlet.
5. Connect green wire (ground) to green screw on new outlet, and to grounding screw on box, or use a box grounding clip, which looks like this:

http://www.reliablemetalstamping.com/images/box_grounding_clip_tn.jpg

6. Put faceplate back on, turn breaker back on.
7. Enjoy watching Cubs lose on new tv.

HP ADDICT
07-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Im not to worried about electocuting myself as not having a usuable ground.

nismodave
07-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Just wanted to know if any DIY people or electricians would know how to properly convert it for me cheaply. Got a new tv and would like to convert a outlet for it.
Thanks,
Randy

To have a TRUE grounded outlet, you need to test and see if there is a pipe/romex/metal clad cable has a ground to the box that the outlet is housed in.

To do this you need a voltage tester, and a screwdriver.

Find the breaker you have the outlet on and shut it off. Test the outlet to make sure it is off. remove the 2 screws holding the outlet in and pull it out. Remove the 2 wires off of the outlet (be carefull if its an older house the insulation on the wires can crack).

When you are sure that the 2 wires are not touching each other and the ends are clear of the box, turn the circuit back on. Take your meter and check for voltage between the black wire and the metal box. You can also check for continuity between the Neutral and box.

If you have voltage/or continuity, your box is grounded. Turn circuit back off.

Install your Hot(black) to the gold screw, and neutral(white) to the silver screw on your SELF GROUNDED OUTLET. Very important to use a self grounded outlet, or to put in a ground wire in the box to outlet.

Wrap the sides of the outlet in electrical tape, making sure not to get it around install screws. Install the outlet back in, turn circuit on, and check again with voltmeter.

Good Luck and be CAREFULL.:thumbsup

2000navyz
07-12-2008, 01:58 PM
^^^ couldnt have explained it better myself!

HP ADDICT
07-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Anyone got a voltage tester and want to install it for some cash/beer or somthing?? I would really appreciate it

awsomeears
07-12-2008, 07:32 PM
0. Turn off circuit breaker to that outlet... if you're home alone, plug a radio into that outlet, and turn up full blast so you know when it goes off, that you have the right breaker.

What a perfect Idea :thumbsup never thought of that

u_say_go
07-12-2008, 08:07 PM
cut the ground prong off with a Dremel tool

0TransAm0
07-12-2008, 08:57 PM
cut the ground prong off with a Dremel tool

dont even need a dremel just a pliers... but thats what i was going to say too. :thumbsup

BoosTT
07-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm an electrical engineer.... I can tell you first hand, ground is almost worthless. It's important for power tools (high inductance), but thats about it. I would just get an adapter and plug it in that way, you well be 100% fine with a tv.

shoooo32
07-12-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm an electrical engineer.... I can tell you first hand, ground is almost worthless. It's important for power tools (high inductance), but thats about it. I would just get an adapter and plug it in that way, you well be 100% fine with a tv.

x2;)

nismodave
07-13-2008, 01:13 AM

I disagree, partially.

Alot of electronic equipment does not take kindly to not having a ground refference.

But the current trend is to slap a GFCI on 2 wire circuits. But there are differnt theorys on that also.