PDA

View Full Version : reverse mortgages?

88Nightmare
07-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, first off, let me start by saying reverse mortgages might not be the best thing in the world because you want to try to keep as much equity in your home as possible, but im aware of all this, so comments relating to that can just be sent to me in a PM if you absolutely must share them.

Anyway, my elderly grandmother and my mother were talking about her taking out a reverse mortgage to try to do some MUCH needed updating/renovating on her home. My grandmother, who lives in Northern New Jersey where land value is unbelievably high, her home in its current condition is worth somewhere in the ballpark of $500,000 to $750,000. Her house is 100% paid for and has 100% equity in it now. There are no loans, liens.....etc against the house/property. Her neighbors house, which is just about identical to hers but much much more updated, just sold for $800,000. While my grandmother is still in good health, we figured having a nice updated house would make her living conditions and quality of life a little better in her declining years, and, in the long run, the updated house would be worth more once, god forbid, the time comes to sell the house. Some updates would be a new roof, new siding, all new windows (2 story bi-level home), new front door, new garage doors, new carpeting, re-do all the bathrooms (which havent been done since the 70's), painting, update the furnace/central air and appliances. Also make sure the 1961 electrical in the house is up to date and following todays electrical code. So I suppose my questions would be... what companies offer reverse mortgages? Is there interest on them like a normal mortgage? Closing costs involved? What else has to be done to get a reverse mortgage.....i.e. a home appraisal...etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Prince Valiant
07-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Nothing wrong with them...the only "hard" thing is the closing cost....typically 15-17G to close on a reverse mortgage, as it's pretty much the only way they make their money on the loan.

The upside though? She gets to stay in her house, she gets paid as long as she owns it, and she doesn't have to wait for it to sell.

The downside? Well, you pay 17G for the convenience of staying in your home for a few more years...hell, 17G could easily get her a DAMN nice apt for a few more years!

If she's on the "downside", so to speak, and is losing freedom due to age, I wouldn't do it imo...

Instead, bite the bullet for a month or two and sell it. She'll end up with more money that way. Heck, then with the money she could probably do well with some easy safe investements and be WAY ahead...while living in a smaller, easier to manage place.

shoooo32
07-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Sell the house, put the money in trust, shack up in the nicest 55 and older apartment you can find. The interest pays the rent and if you don't like the place you can bail whenever you want. Reverse mortgages are a ripoff.

limpimpg
07-12-2008, 10:33 AM
try this link http://www.reversepro.com/

CobraSnake
07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I say do just the nessiary updates in order for the house to be sold at a reasonable price. Because buyers when they come in to view a house that needs to be updated they ALWAYS take 5 grand off even if its like a $500.00 fix. In that price of homes I bet its even worse. I say just update the baths slightly to make them look more modern and maybe some new flooring and some carpet. If the roof is crap you made need to do that. But in that price of a home I'm betting its cedar shake which can get really really expensive. JMO I would do that and you may not get 800k like the neighbor but you won't get buyers low balling the crap outta you.

Mark

pOrk
07-12-2008, 02:04 PM
i highly douby its ceda 750 is not a rich perso house in jersey i did he math on a 10 year rev mortgage at 8 percent monthly on 20 grand and it comes to 100000

sell the house

88Nightmare
07-12-2008, 06:33 PM
well, we've been considering a lot of other options such as....

1. Selling the house and her moving.....
she doesn't want to move, she really has no idea of where to go. Then we have to pack up all her belongings, help make all the arrangements, and then sell the house and get less then its full potential because its need for repairs/updates. Plus with her being a 14 hour drive away, it would be tough on us to help her with the move.

2. Get a small mortgage/equity line of credit on the house to make the repairs, get a low interest rate and just make the monthly payments.......
this would normally work, but my grandmother is on a very fixed income. Her only income is a small pension and social security. This covers her monthly utilities, gas in her car, car insurance, and it lets her save a little each month to pay her yearly property taxes.

See, she doesn't need the reverse mortgage to cover bills and such, the reverse mortgage would be to pay for updates and make the house that much easier to live in. My grandmother, being 85 and still in good health (no disorders/disease/cancer/weight problems.....etc) and the majority of people on her side of the family living up to or in excess of 100 years old, she still has a decent amount of time left to be spent in that house. And since she has practically told us she just does not want to move, we figured we could make some updates, make the house more efficient for the time she does have. And when the day comes to sell it, the house in turn would be worth more because repairs and updates were done to it.

So, to summarize, the money is to update the house, not for her to pocket. she is expected to live another 10 years at least based on other family members, her current health, and barring any unforseen or unfortunate accident. Given the criteria, I think we are kinda leaning towards doing the RM.

Irish
07-12-2008, 07:49 PM
i highly douby its ceda 750 is not a rich perso house in jersey

Did you post this from your phone?:goof