PDA

View Full Version : getting a CDL

lit666
07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Does anyone have their CDL that I could speak with? I'd like to find out all I can about getting one.

DoubleAron
07-09-2008, 04:21 PM
What do you need to know?

PonyKiller87
07-09-2008, 04:24 PM
I have mine. Its actualy not that tought to get as long as you know how to drive and your not a retard.

1. Go to DMV and take the computer test to get your temps. ( I suggest studying for this, even if you just skim the books and learn all the important numbers it will help) I took all of them, I think there was a total of 6: CDL, bus, air brakes, tandum, tanker, hazmat

2. Go get yourself a fed med card, you can probably get it through your doctor if not most walk-in clinics do them for about $40, its pretty much just a physical.

3. Either take your truck to the DMV to test or go through an outside place to test(thats how I did it and I recomend going this route even if you have your own truck. It was $75 to test and $75 to rent his truck)

4. Take your paper work from your test, your fed med card and your temps back to the dmv to get your CDL.

I currently have every endorsement(ABCDM, HNT) accept P - passenger / bus(my licesnse is 2 cards long because the back part that explains all the endorsements didnt all fit so they put it on a second card). I would get as much as you can because you never know if you will need it, but if you dont need Hazmat don't bother because that one is a pain in the but, you have to go through a whole background check and finger printing things... it sucks and costs more money)

I can post the name of the place I used to test later tonight when I get home.

lit666
07-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I have mine. Its actualy not that tought to get as long as you know how to drive and your not a retard.

1. Go to DMV and take the computer test to get your temps. ( I suggest studying for this, even if you just skim the books and learn all the important numbers it will help) I took all of them, I think there was a total of 6: CDL, bus, air brakes, tandum, tanker, hazmat

2. Go get yourself a fed med card, you can probably get it through your doctor if not most walk-in clinics do them for about $40, its pretty much just a physical.

3. Either take your truck to the DMV to test or go through an outside place to test(thats how I did it and I recomend going this route even if you have your own truck. It was $75 to test and $75 to rent his truck)

4. Take your paper work from your test, your fed med card and your temps back to the dmv to get your CDL.

I currently have every endorsement(ABCDM, HNT) accept P - passenger / bus(my licesnse is 2 cards long because the back part that explains all the endorsements didnt all fit so they put it on a second card). I would get as much as you can because you never know if you will need it, but if you dont need Hazmat don't bother because that one is a pain in the but, you have to go through a whole background check and finger printing things... it sucks and costs more money)

I can post the name of the place I used to test later tonight when I get home.

perfect, thx thats exactly what I needed to know. Yeah if you could let me know that would be great.

DoubleAron
07-09-2008, 04:50 PM
That is about it.
I have had my BCD and N endorsment for about 8 years now and just got my class A about 6 months ago.
If you cannot find a private guy to test you let me know I know a guy who used to do it but still does it on the side from time to time.

lit666
07-09-2008, 05:09 PM
That is about it.
I have had my BCD and N endorsment for about 8 years now and just got my class A about 6 months ago.
If you cannot find a private guy to test you let me know I know a guy who used to do it but still does it on the side from time to time.

sweet thanks

Smokey1226
07-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I got mine not to long ago, CD with H endorsement.

HAMRHEAD
07-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Got my ABCD HNT in 1999 and the one thing every company asks me when I go for other positions is "do you have your haz endorsement". So if you can get it then do it otherwise you are extremely limited to some companies. The Haz test is the only one that isn't a lot of common sense. It deals with a lot of technical info on the material itself. Not hard though so good luck!

Smokey1226
07-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Got my ABCD HNT in 1999 and the one thing every company asks me when I go for other positions is "do you have your haz endorsement". So if you can get it then do it otherwise you are extremely limited to some companies. The Haz test is the only one that isn't a lot of common sense. It deals with a lot of technical info on the material itself. Not hard though so good luck!

I agree, when they started to get into questions about the different UN #'s and crap like that i got a little confused but still made it out ok.

PonyKiller87
07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I couldn't find the name of that guy that I took the test through, I think I gave all that stuff to my dad so he can get his CDL. When you go take the temps test they give you some paperwork, one of the things they give you is a list of places to test, the guy I used is the only one in Menomonee Falls.

DoubleAron
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I couldn't find the name of that guy that I took the test through, I think I gave all that stuff to my dad so he can get his CDL. When you go take the temps test they give you some paperwork, one of the things they give you is a list of places to test, the guy I used is the only one in Menomonee Falls.

Thats the guy I'm speaking of, his name is Dave and he doesn't do it anymore.

PonyKiller87
07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
That sucks, he was a good guy, real reasonable. I guess I should stop refering people to him then, lol :goof