PDA

View Full Version : Car audio advice needed

Moparjim
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
What I am looking for is a decent quality unit that has a CD player and an Ipod hookup/cradle. Nothing super pricey or top of the line or anything just a good quality unit that is decent power without needing a seperate amp.

Here's the "special" part. Remember the old school pullout stereos - I have a shitload of cars and am fickle and end up switching cars constantly, not to mention my toy stuff I only drive very limited miles per year so I don't want to buy and install like 5 units. So I am wondering does anyone make a unit that is a pullout type where I could buy one unit and buy and install like 5 of the chassis or whatever into all my cars and then just whatever car I am driving that day I can just slide the stereo into it? I'm thinking single DIN so it would fit in everything...

Any info, links, or recommendations would be great! Even better if anyone does this stuff on the side for a reasonable price I might be willing to just contract someone to do a bunch of the installs for me!

lilws6
07-09-2008, 11:38 AM
they all have little clips on the sides but you may have trouble finding the cradles that you need in each car the install kits wouldn't be a problem but the deck only comes with one cradle take a look at crutchfield.com they have a bunch of helpful stuff

ProjectTwo
07-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Well there really isn't anything specifically like what you want right now. iPod's have pretty much taken over for cd's as the portable music source. There is a piece from Alpine that is close. It will do iPod control and Bluetooth audio. It's the ex-10. http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=eX-10. Take a look at this piece because it is portable. If you like, call Mike at our shop 262-650-1464 and he may be able to come up with another solution for you that would work the way you want.

Thanks,
Andy Schroeder
Project Two Customs

Moparjim
07-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I am using a similar though lower end radio transmission unit currently. I have had several different radio transmission units and have never been impressed with the sound quality, plus have had hassles with finding clear channels depending on the car/location. My favorite is driving on a road trip where you have to keep changing frequencies to find clear ones as you drive through different radio stations broadcast areas lol. Not to mention a few of my cars have the super crappy stock stereos in them, particularly my 75 Trailduster... The 1975 AM/FM leaves a lot to be desired. Hence my looking for a nice entire deck that would be portable and that I could just install the chassis or whatever and decent speakers if the car needed them, then just slip the deck into each car. Someone awhile back told me something along these lines existed!

lilws6
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
the deck only clips in with two clips on the sides the deck should come with the toosl to slid in the sides and pull the deck back out for easy transfer

PureSound15
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
The only problem with that is you'd have to be connecting and reconnecting the harness all the time. As easy as that is to do, I'd be afraid of how fast that ABS plastic would wear, or it might crack in winter.

Prince Valiant
07-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I remember what you're talking about Jim...i believe those units were reasonably popular, or at least available in the early 90's when you first started seeing more CD head unit's available for cars/trucks. They were the security gizmo before there were detachable faces, iirc.

Since they were for security more than anything....don't recall many people having it set up for several different cars, though I imagine you could, of course. Can't for the life of me figure out what they were called though...looking up *now*...*sigh*, can't find :(

I just remember the little flip out handle to grab and pull...always struck me as odd.

HRSEPLA
07-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Just use headphones:thumbsup

PureSound15
07-09-2008, 03:51 PM
The removable units you guys are thinking of were made by Alpine and Eclpise back in the late 80's and early 90's. They had a handle that flipped down and the entire deck came right out of a sleve that had the connections in the back that were fixed.

Moparjim
07-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Yes something like those is exactly what I want, and be able to buy like 5 of the chassis...

If someone doesn't make it, they should... Doesn't everyone own like 10 cars per year???? :thumbsup

Karps TA
07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I think almost everyone had those type of radios back then. I had a Clarion, and a Pioneer that were like that. It was a theft protection device, except who the hell wanted to be walking around the mall, or at a bar with there stereo in their hand. People did the same thing as the do with the removeable head units, chuck them under the seat or in the glove box.

Windsors 03 Cobra
07-09-2008, 10:53 PM
My first vehicle when I was 16, a F150 came with a late 80's vintage pyramid pull out cassette deck, absolute rubbish. :rolf

I think what could get you close to what you want is a din sleeve in all the autos you plan to do this in (hope not the caddy) and whatever wiring harness plug your radio takes installed in each car and slide the radio into each car when you want it ? Sounds hokey.
You can probably get a decent middle of the road name brand deck you desire for $125X5 I see your point, maybe headphones ?:rolf

I think you pass thru Racine from time to time so I will throw out a "good word" for the folks at Sound Decisions on HWY31 just south of HWY 20, who are very knowledgeable and probably have a solution for you.
Good luck.