PDA

View Full Version : Discovered something wrong with my car today

Rocket Power
07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
So I was just going to change the rear brakes on my 94 Grand Prix since they needed it. I had noticed the occasional clunky type noise but I figured it was the exhaust. No biggy, well I pulled off the wheel and see this:wow:wow:wow

http://usera.imagecave.com/vista461/reargpcontrolarm.jpg

The rear control arm is rusted/torn in two.
My day just keeps getting better:mad:

Car Guy
07-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately that's very common with our climate.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

easytoremember
07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
and on 1st W bodies. happened on my 95, and my friends 92

Reverend Cooper
07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
wonder if gm will buy it back? toyota would

LIZMO
07-06-2008, 06:48 PM
damn. that sucks.

88Nightmare
07-06-2008, 06:54 PM
wonder if gm will buy it back? toyota would

GM wouldnt have massive rusting problems such as the tacoma :thumbsup

sloLs1
07-06-2008, 06:57 PM
that is a very common problem on the '90s gm cars.....

Karps TA
07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Oddly enough I think that was the only part of my 93 Grand Prix that didn't break before I bought it. Man that car was hard on parts in particular suspension and brakes.

Rocket Power
07-06-2008, 07:15 PM
So what you guys are saying is a good junkyard replacement might be hard to find:goof

Poncho
07-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Thankfully a significant upgrade is dirt CHEAP and you can get it at any dealership. Get the GM Performance Parts Trailing Arms for a 97+ Grand Prix, They are tubular, and TON stronger, and only cost around $20 for the pair.

Also going off the break, it looks like the car was picked up by the trailing arms a few times too many.

Rocket Power
07-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Also going off the break, it looks like the car was picked up by the trailing arms a few times too many.

If it was, it was at a dealership. Because I never have, and I bought it from the original owner and she isn't working on her own cars:goof

Rocket Power
07-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Thankfully a significant upgrade is dirt CHEAP and you can get it at any dealership. Get the GM Performance Parts Trailing Arms for a 97+ Grand Prix, They are tubular, and TON stronger, and only cost around $20 for the pair.

I assume your talking about these?
Rear Suspension Trailering Arm Kit
Replace your car's production stamped steel parts with stronger tubular steel arms. Rear suspension performance is increased with reduction in flex under load. Kit includes two trailing arms....

They are $37/pr on gm parts direct.

DESCRIPTION: PERFORMANCE REAR TRAILING ARM KIT
For use on 2000-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo; 2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala; 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix. This kit increases rear suspension performance by eliminating rear suspension flex. It includes two rear trailing arms.

I am probably just going to get the napa ones (cheaper than advance , AZ, etc) Because I need to fix it tomorrow.
How come they are only listed for the newer cars, is there something different in the mounting width/bolt size or overall length ?

lilws6
07-06-2008, 07:57 PM
yea my gf back in the day bent one of those on her 99 gp and i had to torch and bend it back until the dealer could get the parts in a few days but i supose that wouldnt help in this situation they are cheap from the dealer tho

Poncho
07-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I assume your talking about these?
Rear Suspension Trailering Arm Kit
Replace your car's production stamped steel parts with stronger tubular steel arms. Rear suspension performance is increased with reduction in flex under load. Kit includes two trailing arms....

They are $37/pr on gm parts direct.

I am probably just going to get the napa ones (cheaper than advance , AZ, etc) Because I need to fix it tomorrow.
How come they are only listed for the newer cars, is there something different in the mounting width/bolt size or overall length ?

Because the parts are technically for the 2nd gen w-bodies. but they happen to be the same length and everything for the 1st gens.

I had those as well as GMPP 2nd gen strut tower braces on my '94 GP which was a 1st gen w-body. Improves deflection significantly, and are built much better.

I also had these, as well as the full compliment of suspension upgrades on my Pace Car.

Rocket Power
07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Well that sucked. Got the back half off, front half had the bolt seized into the collar. Dremeled the outer metal off and had to get a sawzall in and cut the bolt on both sides. It was awesome working in the rain then in the 150% humidity afterwards. NOT:goof
At least it's done now. Till the other one goes :rolf