PDA

View Full Version : What do I do?

lordairgtar
07-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Hello, most of you know me as a DJ at car shows or as a car artist. I was at the East Troy Lions show today and had a pretty good day, art wise. After words, I had to meet someone at Gus' Drive In to draw their car. Did that and another person comes to me and wants their car done too. Gus' wife comes out and asks what I'm doing and she wants to know if I'm getting paid. Yeah, I says, and she says Gus doesn't know me and I have to leave. I went off site to finish the drawing as I had quite a bit of it fleshed in. Now in the very beginning of Gus's cruise night thing I talked to him about DJing there but he had already hired Don Kasper...no problem there, it's the nature of the business. So he does know me and has seen me there on numerous occasions drawing cars. I am sort of an icon or local legend (not my words) and I have been doing this for years, since about 1986. Yeah, long time, I'm old!! The problem I have is Gus didn't have the cajones to say something to me himself, he had to send the wife. Also, many cars park across the street in the high school soccer fields as Gus' lot can in no way accommodate all those cars. I young man with a raised pick up truck was in the soccer field with a Confederate battle flag and our own American Stars and Stripes displayed from the bed of the truck. Gus comes across the street to the field and tells them to remove their flags (plural as in both), not just the CSA battle flag but our country's flag as well. Not even his property, yet he is telling people what they can display. Anyway, I am not calling for people to not go there or boycott, I would never do that. I am just venting. As to the art, I have done this many years at Solid Gold, Hardee's, McDonalds in Racine, Quisnos in Waukesha, Heaven City on HWY ES, DiMarini's and so many more than I can count. I am a part of the local car culture. I've even been out to Pistol Pete's some years back (should I come back?) Thanks for your time, everyone.

MoCkiN U
07-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh man, I dont know what to say. I can see both points from the resturant and yours. They handled it badly but I dont have a better suggestion.

pOrk
07-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Do you have any of your work online that you could post up for us to see?

I don't see a problem if you weren't soliciting, which I am guessing is what old Gus assumed.

lordairgtar
07-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh man, I dont know what to say. I can see both points from the resturant and yours. They handled it badly but I dont have a better suggestion.
Yeah, it is his place and he can do as he pleases. It's just I think he could have told me himself and give his reasons. The other places I mentioned never had problems, in fact they wonder what's wrong if I don't show for a few shows/cruise nights. I don't harass people, most of them know me and come ask me to draw. Ask Wayne. I don't have to talk to anyone, really. No hard sell.

lordairgtar
07-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Here you go Pork
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/lordairgtar/img001.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/lordairgtar/img002.jpg

Yooformula
07-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I like those pics.

lordairgtar
07-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I like those pics.
Thank You!!!

Prince Valiant
07-05-2008, 11:08 PM
very nice...

the only thing I can think of regarding the flag issue is that Gus has permission to have cars over their, and thus it's his responsibility to "keep the peace" so to speak...however, it still being "public property", I'm not so sure he had the authority to have individuals remove flags from their vehicles, he can request, but he certianly has no authority, doesn't matter if it's an iranian flag, US flag, french flag, whatever. He can have a say over what goes on within HIS property, but not on public property.

i know if it was my vehicle, I certainly wouldn't have complied with his request, and would have dared him to do something about it.

Feature Pony
07-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Go to Georgie Porgies on Saturday, there are a lot of people that would like to have their car drawn, and if you talk to Pete or Lou (owners) I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with it.

lordairgtar
07-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I've been to Georgies, but not for a long time. They liked my presence there, but the drawings dwindled to a scant few. Maybe it's time to go back.

GRAMPS SS
07-06-2008, 12:42 AM
come back to pistol petes...................people have always come to you for your work as long as i have KNOWN you...you never had to say...."you want to have a drawing of your car"....remember the days of A&W.....

But as far as Gus'S...NEVER BEEN THERE..but it's not like your making a ton of $$$$$$$$$$ doing this...you get what...3 cars done a show....so when someone sees you at the next show they come to you....i would say..blow it off Greg...and take your TALENT to other shows....you are a car show ICON.....

pOrk
07-06-2008, 04:05 AM
The work looks great! My girlfriend did a similar piece of my 62 Caddy, not as detailed as yours. Let me know if you'd like to see it, I'd hate to cloud your thread.

Reverend Cooper
07-06-2008, 07:26 AM
have you just gon there and talked to gus. call first and set a time so he can really TALK to you

Breecher_7
07-06-2008, 07:57 AM
If its on the guys property, he has the right to do what he wants. If its not, he can go **** himself. If I were the guy with the flags I would have just laughed at him and told him that if he doesnt like them he should try to remove them himself.

The freedoms of this country are what make it so great, if he wants to tell someone that they have to remove the stars and stripes from there vehicle he can pack up his shit and move out of this country. That gets me heated. You live in the united states, how the hell can you tell someone not to display the american flag on there truck. For that alone he needs a mudhole stomped in his ass.

Reverend Cooper
07-06-2008, 08:21 AM
I LOVE MY COUNTRY. But unless your a business owner breecher and have had any issues on this which i believe you aren't and have not,you need to step back and look at the big picture for the business man. No offense to the flag bearing truck,but this could keep good people of other country/ethnicities from patronizing his business. does that suck yes,is it right no. but it is also his right to prosper if that means looking out for his business on all levels I cant i would disagree with his actions. Asking him to take down one flag and not the other would have just pissed the guy off more. imo. Again I love my country and display the flag to but our freedoms also protect the guy that would like it taken down on his property,or borrowed property. JMHO

lordairgtar
07-06-2008, 09:31 AM
The work looks great! My girlfriend did a similar piece of my 62 Caddy, not as detailed as yours. Let me know if you'd like to see it, I'd hate to cloud your thread.
Cloud away, Pork! I wanna see it.

ffvetteman
07-06-2008, 09:55 AM
I think I know who you are. You drew my Vette years ago and I still have the picture hanging proudly on my wall. You do incredible work!!

I saw at car shows that you never have to ask anyone if they want their car drawn, as most people see you and ask and every time, you have people lined up.

Keep it up as you have an incredible talent that cannot be matched!!!

ffvetteman
07-06-2008, 09:58 AM
But if he or his wife is going to give you problems, simply dont go back there. I have seen you at many other shows and you can continue to do this at other shows without a problem.

lordairgtar
07-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanx guys! I'm feeling better now. God I can be so emo sometimes....LOL

MoCkiN U
07-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Makes me want to park my car there and surround it with american flags just because

TURTLE
07-06-2008, 11:40 AM
^ that's a good idea! line of cars with a line of flags in front of 'em...

SmokinRAM114
07-06-2008, 12:00 PM
i was out there yesterday for the truck pulls. i seen that truck your talking about, in fact i let him through the traffic so he could get in the highschool lot when i was leaving. there was nothing wrong with what he had and gus had absolutly no right in telling him what to do on that property. i would have told him to shove it!

-lordairgtar you drew my dads streetrod years ago i think at one of the shows. you do some awsome work! my mom still has it under the glass on her desk at school.

lordairgtar
07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah, those guys seemed to not want to raise trouble so they complied. I am pleased that your mom still has that pic.

Feature Pony
07-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I've been to Georgies, but not for a long time. They liked my presence there, but the drawings dwindled to a scant few. Maybe it's time to go back.

Georgies is drawing in a lot more cars now days and they have live bands playing through out the year which brings in a lot of people and cars. Yesterday there had to have been about 150+ cars that was there.

I think you also did a drawing of my superbee at georgies had to have been 2002 or so.

Moparjim
07-06-2008, 12:19 PM
You should definitely check out Georgie Porgies - it's pretty packed lately - I was shocked by how many cars have been there the last few weeks. There were so many people there yesterday the entire grass was full, people were starting rows on the grass to the west, and of course people were creeping into the bank lot and Gary's Liquor lot. There were so many people there and Pete seemed like he was trying his best to keep people from parking at Gary's that I am concerned its going to start to be a problem...