PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Preference for 4.6L Motor

Not_Grandpas_Marquis
07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Its not a stang but it is a 4.6L!!!

What set of mufflers sound good with the MOD motor? I have been running a set of Magnaflow High-flow Cat pipes, stock 2 inch H-pipe and custom duals beyond that with NO mufflers for 3 years!!! It wasnt too loud and sounded great!!!

I recently swapped my NPI motor for a 2006 4.6L 2V PI motor. I installed a set of 2004 mustang GT Stock exhaust manifolds. A BBK 2.5 inch offroad X-pipe. And custom pipes after that. Once again I ditched the muffler idea but this system is SO loud....raspy....and poppy....that I drove the car home from the exhaust shop and parked it. Car also has no backpressure and has no getty-up.

Mod List:

2006 PI 4.6L 2Valve 33000 miles
2004 Marauder Airbox/2004 Police interceptor intake tube
75MM BBK Throttle Body
custom ported/polished upper intake
Typhoon intake manifold
24lb FRPP injectors
Hitech Stage 2 Camshafts
March Underdrive pulleys
2004 GT Exhaust manifolds
BBK offroad X-pipe

Custom 3200 RPM stall converter
Level 2 J-mod

3.55 FRPP RAR w/Trak-loc

What set of mufflers will sound good, quiet down the exhaust, and create enough backpressure to get my throttle back? Car ran better with open x-pipe than it does with full exhaust......HELP!!!

CobraSnake
07-03-2008, 02:04 PM
I believe what you are hearing is your OR X-Pipe. Maybe get some cats welded in and that could fix your problem but, now your raspyness. If that doesn't work by a H pipe OR or not and that should fix it.

Mark

Reverend Cooper
07-03-2008, 11:18 PM
first of all bbk parts are junk shit, get rid of the x pipe. put on a h-pipe with high flow cats and magnaflow mufflers which is what i run,its very quiet at idle and cruise,but when you hammer on it watch out

forest
07-04-2008, 12:44 AM
+1 except the magnaflow mufflers, way too quiet, get Borla, AWSESOME sound. But, it all ends up being what you like, not us.....

Reverend Cooper
07-04-2008, 01:00 AM
i agree borlas are great but they are loud around town. magnaflows are great cop friendly mufflers till you get on that shit

Windsors 03 Cobra
07-04-2008, 08:48 AM
This is more of an induction problem than a exhaust problem IMO
While you should put some mufflers on it you should also get a blower, which will help gitty up and throttle back. :thumbsup

Poncho
07-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I like magnaflows and x-pipes on alot of stuff.

Mr Twigbert
07-05-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm a fan on Flowmaster Super 40s and an O/R H-pipe.. Really nice sound IMO..

Cjburn
07-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I have a Magnaflow catback and a catted H-pipe (4.6 2V which is pretty much stock). Pretty quite when you aren't into it or have to be quiet, but loud enough to be fun when you want good sound.

Not_Grandpas_Marquis
07-05-2008, 11:01 PM
+1 on the BBK "Extractor" X-pipe. It sounds like crap no matter what I try to do with it. I have a Mac Offroad H-pipe picked out as a replacement for it. Or will I need the cats to rebuild my backpressure??? I have an appointment this friday to have my magnaflow mufflers welded in. Also having him redo the passenger side over-axle tail pipe.

Not_Grandpas_Marquis
07-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, my exhaust guy and I got into an argument about the passenger side over axle pipe I wanted him to redo. He ran the pipe directly in front of my fuel pump which is why I wanted him to redo it. But he got REALLY pissed and started cussing at me because I cut out a 18 inch section out of each side so I could mount some temporary mufflers so I could drive it. His attitude was piss-poor and I had to babysit him to make sure he didn't do anything else to the car.

But all it all....the mufflers are in and he remade the passenger side over axle tail pipe. The magnaflows sound VERY nice. However the x-pipe indeed sounds like a$$. I have regained my low-end torque. Does anyone here run either the Mac O/R x-pipe or the Magnaflow "true-X" catted pipe??? I would like peoples opinions on these 2 setups if possible. I don't want to make the same mistake twice!!! I see the Magnaflow "True-X" pipe has a similar stamped "X" flange which is what I am concerned with.

03CVLX
07-13-2008, 05:44 PM
When the heck did you get here Zak. :rolf Welcome to BCM. Make an Intro post in the lounge, and definitely get a few pictures up in the members rides forum.:thumbsup

07ROUSHSTG3
07-13-2008, 07:39 PM
i would ditch the off road x pipe. just toss some high flow cats on there and see what happens. i am running the high flow bassani x-pipe with borla stingers, and i like how it sounds. it has an exotic sound when cruising, but when on it hard it sounds very throaty.