PDA

View Full Version : I actually need computer help

Poncho
07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
My old computer is starting to hate me, been regularly maintained, but all of a sudden it's freezing up randomly.

It's a Dell computer, P4 2.8Ghz, ATI x300 PCI-X vid card, SB Live 24bit,1.5gig of PC3200 ram, wireless N PCI, 40 gig HD, (have spare 40gig HD, not hooked up)

I have no idea wtf is wrong, it's been running fine up until the last week where it'll randomly freeze, and I can't imagine why. I recently upgraded to the wireless-N PCI card, and thats been the only change in ages and it started just after that. The mfer just keeps freezing up.

There are no newer drivers for the Linksys wireless card, and i can't find anything leading to this being the reason for the problem.

Avast finds no problems, defrag really isn't needed, not alot of BS crap on the computer. I just don't get it. Suggestions?

I'm still weeding thru this thread to find help instead of others complaining about the same issue - http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Adapters&thread.id=158&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

H8RADE
07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
First step in this situation is to undo what you did before the issues.
Pull the N-card and put in your old one.
Remove the drivers and see if the machine still freezes.
If it does, then you have your culprit and can focus on that.
If the card works at all, then you are not likely dealing with an IRQ conflict, but the drivers may be conflicting with something else in your computer.
Start from the start...

CobraSnake
07-02-2008, 10:04 AM
OMG my computer is doing the exact same thing. But, its only when I'm playing counter strike. I don't know WTF is going on. It just started to happen and I didn't change ANYTHING on my computer. But, I didn't notice dan that I am also running avast. Hopefully that isn't the problem.

Mark

xxsn0blindxx
07-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I agree with H8RADE in response to Dan's issue.

CobraSnake: Do you have your CPU or video card overclocked? When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of you fans. I would check for software patches for the game and then try updating your video card and chipset drivers.

wrath
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
It's just Linksys and their shitty helper applications and drivers. I have the WMP54G and its helper grows to around 600MB of ram used and 1.2GB of swap before the memory leak finally kills the application. Right now it's at 332MB/570MB and it's only been being used for a day.

If you lock it in to your SSID and turn off wireless network searching it'll probably go longer before the app craps itself. It can't seem to handle tracking multiple wireless networks.

I'd just take it back if you can. They'll probably never fix it. They make nice hardware but their software is the biggest piece of shit ever.

xxsn0blindxx
07-02-2008, 01:58 PM
You don't need the Linksys software loaded if you are running XP. Just use the wireless networking utility built into XP.

wrath
07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Depends on the device as to whether or not you need the Linksys crap. I need it to use WPA on my crappy card. I can't wait until I get out of this crappy apartment so I can string some crappy cat5 in the walls so i can have crappy fast ethernet so my crap works all the crapping time.

xxsn0blindxx
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
You shouldn't need the linksys utility to do WPA unless it is some sort of proprietary deal for linksys adapters and routers. Every Linksys card I have setup has been able to use the Window wireless control wihtout a problem. The built in Windows XP wireless can do WEP, WPA and WPA2 and from my experience seems to work a lot better than the manufacturer supplied utilities.

0TransAm0
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
overheating?

lordairgtar
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=Poncho Dan;399672]My old computer is starting to hate me, been regularly maintained, but all of a sudden it's freezing up randomly.

It's a Dell

Found your problem.:rolf

ND4SPD
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Download Memtest86+ and burn a bootable CD or floppy with that on it (or... look for "the ultimate boot cd" either on google or as a torrent and download it. Run Memtest86+ and to make sure your memory hasn't gone bad.

Next get ahold of a copy of DFT (Drive Fitness Test) and run that. Again, either from "the ultimate boot cd" or a bootable floppy or cd. Use that to make sure there aren't any problems on the hard drive(s). Random freezes are sometimes due to a failing hard drive, or failing memory.

Call me back when you've done those two things. And in the mean time... for the viewing pleasure of all you IT geeks...

http://www.break.com/index/it-guy-vs-dumb-employees.html

CobraSnake
07-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I agree with H8RADE in response to Dan's issue.

CobraSnake: Do you have your CPU or video card overclocked? When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of you fans. I would check for software patches for the game and then try updating your video card and chipset drivers.

wow its been a long long time. I guess I should try that first.

Mark