PDA

View Full Version : Waukesha county Sheriff RANT

lilws6
06-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Well for the past 2 years i drive to work the same way EVERY DAY!!! Sorry back to my story i drive the same way everyday but tonight coming from my buddies house the same way i would come from work a waukesha county sheriff decides to pull me over. For what i think i had the cruise set at 55 and then i knew what it was going to be. The muffler!!! I had to put a new cat back on my car before last winter and i found a nice magnaflow muffler for a decent price so i bought it and put it on with the new cat back. Now the cat back is OEM or supposed to be but the muffler is after market. Follow me so far? Well the officer says that he pulled me over for DEFECTIVE MUFFLER Statute # 347.39(1). Now i'm pretty shure the muffler being only a year old is NOT defective but louder than factory. So he takes my licence and leave says he'll be right back. He comes back with a 10 day fix it ticket with all the information being the violation Defective Muffler. So i drove off and came on here to rant about it because i feel this is completely wrong. Shure the cars louder but call me weird i like to here my car so i know when to shift. I don't like looking at the tach and i don't plan on putting in a monster tach with a shift light so i can see that.(i'de prolly get pulled over for that too with my luck) So what should i do i mean i suppose i could put a stock muffler back on it but i hate not hearing the car its just too damn quiet all my vehicles are loud every one of them. Hell i've even been driving the trans am with the FEB 08 sticker still on the plate. but when i've been driving the same route for a year now with this muffler and now someone pulls me over i think is BS:flipoff2: rant over now

70 cutlass 442
06-30-2008, 01:12 AM
it is crappy, but can you blame him for doing his job?

lilws6
06-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Oh no i don'y blame him but A) the muffler isn't defective and B) i drive the same way every day so i though i would have been pulled before if it was a problem

Beagle
06-30-2008, 02:08 AM
If you had a camaro Id say get the 2 on the left muffler like i have. It is an oem muffler that happens to be the highest flowing muffler on the market. The only thing that out flows it is true duals and thats by a couple horse power. I like it cause the car is quiet until you hit it. even with longtubes and no cats. Other option is get a automatic trans lol. magnaflow isnt even that loud especially when your doing 55 with the cruise on. That sucks man sorry to hear that happened to you.

SmokinRAM114
06-30-2008, 07:09 AM
was it sheriff Soneberg? thats who pulled me over.

Poncho
06-30-2008, 07:37 AM
If you had a camaro Id say get the 2 on the left muffler like i have. It is an oem muffler that happens to be the highest flowing muffler on the market. The only thing that out flows it is true duals and thats by a couple horse power. I like it cause the car is quiet until you hit it. even with longtubes and no cats. Other option is get a automatic trans lol. magnaflow isnt even that loud especially when your doing 55 with the cruise on. That sucks man sorry to hear that happened to you.

how would a automatic be better here?

TURTLE
06-30-2008, 07:42 AM
i think he's talkin about the saturn...

WickedSix
06-30-2008, 07:57 AM
got popped for the same thing in my DD awhile back .... I crossed the intersection of ES and 164 heading to mukwonago and the cop went from the furthest right hand lane on 164 north and made a left to follow me... followed me all the way out by morningstar before he flicked the lights on and pulled me over... same effin thing asks when i'm gonna get the exhaust fixed, I say it is fixed has everything under there no leaks...... says it is a little loud I think your muffler is bad.... uh no officer it has nothing to go bad it has internal baffles that direct the sound waves and cancel out certain tones .... *somewhat baffled look* .... here's your fixed it ticket...you got ten days blah blah.... I never got it signed off so meh.... I dunno

shoooo32
06-30-2008, 08:09 AM
I think I has alot to do with age and the car you drive. I commute from milwaukee to mukwonago every day and when I had a yellow zx2 s/r I would get pulled over all the time for b/s reasons i/e hassled for for loud exhaust (it was stock!) Now I drive a black 3 series and cops don't even look.

subliminal1284
06-30-2008, 08:19 AM
You can fight this, I believe the law is your exhaust can be so many decibels. Find out how many decibels the allowed is and then if youre under whats allowed tell them that when you go in to get it signed off and have them check it.

Karps TA
06-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Put a big Harley sticker on the car. Then they should be okay with it.

CobraSnake
06-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Well for the past 2 years i drive to work the same way EVERY DAY!!! Sorry back to my story i drive the same way everyday but tonight coming from my buddies house the same way i would come from work a waukesha county sheriff decides to pull me over. For what i think i had the cruise set at 55 and then i knew what it was going to be. The muffler!!! I had to put a new cat back on my car before last winter and i found a nice magnaflow muffler for a decent price so i bought it and put it on with the new cat back. Now the cat back is OEM or supposed to be but the muffler is after market. Follow me so far? Well the officer says that he pulled me over for DEFECTIVE MUFFLER Statute # 347.39(1). Now i'm pretty shure the muffler being only a year old is NOT defective but louder than factory. So he takes my licence and leave says he'll be right back. He comes back with a 10 day fix it ticket with all the information being the violation Defective Muffler. So i drove off and came on here to rant about it because i feel this is completely wrong. Shure the cars louder but call me weird i like to here my car so i know when to shift. I don't like looking at the tach and i don't plan on putting in a monster tach with a shift light so i can see that.(i'de prolly get pulled over for that too with my luck) So what should i do i mean i suppose i could put a stock muffler back on it but i hate not hearing the car its just too damn quiet all my vehicles are loud every one of them. Hell i've even been driving the trans am with the FEB 08 sticker still on the plate. but when i've been driving the same route for a year now with this muffler and now someone pulls me over i think is BS:flipoff2: rant over now

can you take it anywhere to get it signed off???

Cryptic
06-30-2008, 09:10 AM
it is crappy, but can you blame him for doing his job?

I shure (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sure) can

xxsn0blindxx
06-30-2008, 09:43 AM
There is no decibel limit in Wisconsin. The law is incredibly vague and simply states that you must have factory exhaust. So if the factory exhaust on car A is 80Db and the factory exhaust on car B is 100Db, it is illegal to modify car A's exhaust to produce 100Db, but car B is totally legal. Doesn't make much sense does it? Furthermore the cops don't have a master book of the decibel levels of every production vehicle's exhaust, nor do they carry decibel meters to measure them. So it is entirely at the officer's discretion. It's totally lame and there's nothing you can do about it.

Feature Pony
06-30-2008, 10:07 AM
man let me tell you about waukesha. I worked there for a bit and couldn't take the B.S. anymore so I quit about 5 years ago. I was a cop and I had a flow master exhaust 3 chamber on my truck. My a$$ of a Sgt said that if I ever bring it back to work that he was going to tow it hand have the state patrol give me a ticket. These cops have nothing better to do than screw with people on a daily basis. I know first hand, and before I got into law enforcement I told myself I would never be that kind of cop, I got my a$$ road because I would do their stupid S*#^!! All I can say is **** the city and county of Waueksha!!!

Yooformula
06-30-2008, 10:11 AM
If you didnt change the cats, can they even ticket you for the muffler? did he use anything to check the decibels? I would even argue that the muffler is oem spec.

lilws6
06-30-2008, 11:07 AM

It has a cycles have equal rights sticker on the back!!! :rolf
The officers name was Busateri. and yes i'm talking about my daily driver the saturn.
Yoo i've already had a cop pull me over in Hartford i believe he asked me why my exhuast was loud and i told him it had an aftermarket muffler and he said oh ok does it still have the factory cat on it and i replied yes it shure does. and he walked away and left me be after he put it in his computer. No he didn't check decibels. I need someone that could like write me a letter so i can keep it in the car so that when i get pulled over i can just hand that to them and tell them it is legal signed by officer whoever lol I think i still have the box for the muffler should i carry that around with me?:durr

Yooformula
06-30-2008, 11:12 AM
that shit sucks. I always let off the throttle whenever a cop comes around nowadays just to avoid this shit. hopefully someone here will help ya out with a letter or something.

lilws6
06-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Sad thig is i did let off and he pulled out right after me and then followed for aleast 5 miles down the road

Karps TA
06-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Stuff like this is why I actually don't like driving my car around. I don't want to be hassled for crap. For the most part cops have been very cool with my car, and probably cooler then they should be at times. But I know it's only a matter of time before some guy has a bad day and takes it out on me.

FASTZ2895
06-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Sad thig is i did let off and he pulled out right after me and then followed for aleast 5 miles down the road

Easy fix....join the Army

It works for me:headbang

Mr Twigbert
06-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Bring the car by when it's fixed and I will take care of ya.. :thumbsup

Voodoo Chick
06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
It depends alot on the age/type of car. I was about to do a few things to my Camaro's exhaust so I called the cops to see just what was all "allowed." The one I spoke to asked "how old is this car?" When I told him close to 30 years, he said "well, we don't really bother with the old ones like that, we know they are going to be loud..." He then went on to explain that it was the newer (less than 20 years old) cars they go after, particularly the very new ones, because of the problems they have with kids street-racing.

shoooo32
06-30-2008, 12:00 PM
90 percent of the time they don't care about loud exhaust or no front plate, they just want to see if you've been drinking or the car smells like weed. If a cop tells you they have no quotas or they don't profile people they are a liar.

Silver03SRT
06-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I shure (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sure) can

:rolf:thumbsup

LIL EVO
06-30-2008, 01:45 PM
This is why I shut my car off and coast past cops sitting in the freeway median.

Some asshole decided to call the police on me the other night (Friday night, 9pm)

I pulled into the Citgo on 6 mile (Caledonia) and a younger cop pulled up behind me, asking if I live on Sunrise. I said yes. He said they had a complaint that I was "working on my car, revving it up in my garage, driving, and coming back again".

Mind you this is only 9pm.

He stated that it was a residential area with a lot of "old people" and kids that are trying to sleep. He said he probably wouldn't be revving his hot rod at 9pm, especially with a modified exhaust system like I have.

He pulled away and that was it. Just said to keep it quiet that late.

jbiscuit
06-30-2008, 01:51 PM
^^ The cop was b1tching at you at that Citgo in Crestview???? Does he know that a couple houses in on Middle Rd there is a guy that has a couple Chevelles and a Stage 1 Buick? I'm sure they are "loud" at 9pm. I went to school with the guy's son and they used to have burnout contests heading south on middle rd back in the day! LOL!

LIL EVO
06-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Yep that's the citgo. I must have pissed off one of the neighbors since I also had a business card from Caledonia Village Hall Engineering Department regarding my fence that I installed last fall.

0TransAm0
06-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Yep that's the citgo. I must have pissed off one of the neighbors since I also had a business card from Caledonia Village Hall Engineering Department regarding my fence that I installed last fall.

wow didn't know you lived in crestview never seen your car b4.. i used to live(my parents still do) over on the south side of 6mile on white birch ct.
would you happen to know nick or ryan miller?

for the OP.. sucks you got pulled over i guess the moun pleasant cops dont give to shits because i usually try to make it loud when i go by and if they are in a group of cars with me at a red when it turns green i dont take it easy i just go... never had a problem.... knock on wood....

Firefighter Z
06-30-2008, 03:34 PM
eh just paint it flat black and put some steel wool in it, that'll quite it down a little. ;)

scaleracer
06-30-2008, 04:22 PM

lol! I saw it on the news like 2 weeks ago that they were cutting down on cars and bikes with loud exhaust I was pissed I was like WTF! Go after the harleys and stuff and the kids in their imports! They said anything changed from stock can lead to a ticket well i'd have to say the imports with ground effects, gay wings, wheels, etc.. I guess it could go either way but it's stupid! And harleys and imports i can see because they always rev the sh!t out of them! :chair:

Fast SVT
07-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Man, thank god my Goat is registered in Arizona. Being military I am not required to change the registration over to WI.

TURTLE
07-01-2008, 07:50 AM
i guess i'm lucky never having to worry about getting pulled over... my exhaust IS modified(2.5" dynomax system with a cherry bomb muffler), but it's only really loud when i'm on it... it's got a few leaks that i'm gonna get sealed up in the near future, but nothing that would justify a cop pulling me over for it... unless they were gonna be a prick... knock on wood....

i'd try to find the cop that said the exhaust was ok the first time, and get him to write a letter, or come with to confront the said prick waukesha hard a$$... it's worth a shot...

Feature Pony
07-01-2008, 09:53 AM
90 percent of the time they don't care about loud exhaust or no front plate, they just want to see if you've been drinking or the car smells like weed. If a cop tells you they have no quotas or they don't profile people they are a liar.

Yeah its funny when I was in Milwaukee as a cop the traffic car for the night had to issue at least 3 tickets which I would go after taxis that were breaking the law. When I went to Waukesha I would have to fill up 2 pages of logs and you can fit 12-13 cars on a log and tickets had to be issued.. It sucks writing tickets for 9+ over, let alone 24 in a night!! My advise is stay the **** out of waukesha.

Adam Brooks
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
just go into any cop shop and show them how there are no defects in your aftermarket exhaust... no problem

xxsn0blindxx
07-01-2008, 01:44 PM
The bottom line is the law states factory exhaust is what is considered legal and if you have a non-factory exhaust you have broken the law and deserve the ticket. Now I don't personally agree with that and I certainly deserve the same ticket, but the law is what it is and short of taking some sort of initiative to get the law changed there isn't much that you can do about it other than get it fixed (even if it's just temporary) or pay the ticket and risk getting caught again.

SmokinRAM114
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
ok it maybe the law but this is wisconsin and exhaust doesnt last forever!

xxsn0blindxx
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
I can't find the official written law, but it states something to the effect that the exhaust cannot be louder than the original system from the factory. However no police officer would ever be able to objectively determine if your car's exhaust is louder than the factory exhaust since they don't know how loud the factory exhaust was or how loud the replacement exhaust is, nor do they have the equipment to do so. They can however probably tell within reason if it is a lot louder than the factory exhaust would be, which is what they are going after.

Chalky
07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Just curious but what about HD's with no baffle systems. Do they fall under same crieria? I know they are a Milwaukee/WI product but if they are going to ticket a car, why not HD's?

My daughter told me that they can only follow you for something like three miles and then they are supposed to either pull you over or break off. Me, I don't know.

CobraSnake
07-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Just curious but what about HD's with no baffle systems. Do they fall under same crieria? I know they are a Milwaukee/WI product but if they are going to ticket a car, why not HD's?

My daughter told me that they can only follow you for something like three miles and then they are supposed to either pull you over or break off. Me, I don't know.
that is true and it is also true that if you make so many turns they have to pull you over after a certain amount. But you will never win that arguement when its the cops word against yours.

Mark

Stangman98
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Damn am I glad I live in a smaller town where they don't bother me. State boy or something lives down the street and waves when I go by...
BTW...this was taken at about 8 or 9am on a sunday in my driveway
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/stangman98/th_MVI_0114.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/stangman98/?action=view&current=MVI_0114.flv)

TURTLE
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
^ runnin a little rich there buddy ;)

i can't really talk because i try to keep a low profile when i see a cop, but i've only gotten pulled for moving violations and no "fix-it-tickets"...

LIL EVO
07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
8:30 PM, July 1:

My car is IDLING in my garage. I was bleeding the cooling system. Shut off the car, go inside to enjoy a steak dinner, *KNOCK KNOCK*.

Caledonia PD at my door again. "Someone with a baby called and said I was revving up the car in the driveway and waking up the baby"

Cop: "Well, there's nothing I can really do about it! Just know that I came and talked to you. 11pm is the latest you can make noise, have a good night!"

I swear to christ when I find the person who is calling.....

Feature Pony
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM

Thats false, you can make as many right turns as you want and you can still get a ticket.

1siksrt
07-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Dont feel bad i was doing the right thing and taking a bus to summerfest. I decide to go to the state fair park n' ride cause i was plannin on drinking well im rolling thru there at lik 8mph and get pulled over for a modified exhaust. $200 ticket and the prick took 40 minutes as my friend stood by the buses waiting pissed. **** COPS:fire

Poncho
07-02-2008, 05:56 AM
never been bothered once about my GTO's exhaust.

Chalky
07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Now Kenosha County has decided to crack down on loud Harleys. What timing. Is it about the noise or the easy $$!

Chalky
07-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Thats false, you can make as many right turns as you want and you can still get a ticket.

I never mentioned right turns!:confused

lilws6
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
I've never been even WARNED about my Trans ams exhaust witch is 1 million times louder then the saturns and my bike also has a louder exhaust. The trans am doesn't even have cats on it any more. I don't know who the first cop that pulled me over was and don't think i could find him as i have no written ID of him. I can not avoid waukesha county as i work in it and the only detour around would take me almost 2 hours to get to work is about 45 min as is the fast way. As i've said never had a problem until this one i might put the stock muffler back on any ways i have to buy a motor for the car yet so maybe i'll get a ticket for modifying my motor??? lol