PDA

View Full Version : First Trip Out on the Big Pond

DirtyMax
06-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Prior to today, I'd only been out on Lake Michigan once and that was Perch fising fairly close to shore.

My buddy called me yesterday and they had an extra seat in the boat for a small 8 boat club tournament they were having today. I jumped at the chance. We set out at 3am and had lines in the water by 4 am.

There was a competition for the largest of 6 species (King Salmon, Coho Salmon, Lake Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, and Perch).

All in all, it was a slow day for our boat numbers wise but we made sure the ones we caught were of decent quality, lol. The King went 13.3 lbs and was 2nd place for the day. The Coho went 4.9 lbs and was 1st for the day, and the Rainbow we caught was 4.9 as well and was also the largest of its kind the day. The other Coho went over 3 lbs too.

I was lucky enough to have it be my "turn" when the King and larger Cogo had to be reeled in. The fight with the King was awesome. My first fish ever on Lake Michigan as well. Since I reeled them in, my name went on the board (completely unnecessary but appreciated none the less). My winnings will be going towards joining the club and what's left will be donated back to the club. Need less to say, despite what they called a slow day, I am hooked (no pun intended)!!! Another hobby... my wife is gonna kill me!! :devil

Anyhow, here are couple of pics. Never mind the funny looking fella holding the fish... good talent doesn't come cheap... :goof

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Fishing%20Pics/100_09522.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Fishing%20Pics/100_09492.jpg

Breecher_7
06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Anytime you want to go out just let me know, im out there every weekend.

MoCkiN U
06-28-2008, 09:29 PM
its a blast out there. I am sooo surprised how much or how quick the current/conditions can change out there. Go from fairly smooth to choppy ass bouncing all over the place pretty quickly

70 cutlass 442
06-29-2008, 02:26 AM
nice catch on that king salmon, what did it weigh in at?

DirtyMax
06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks. The King weighed in at 13.3 lbs.

84hurst
07-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Sounds like fun! I was out a couple of weeks ago with a couple friends on the opening day of perch, we got our limit in less than an hour!

CobraSnake
07-01-2008, 02:03 PM
how bad were the skeeter's out there.

Mark