PDA

View Full Version : Any Electrictions local to our station??

Smokey1226
06-27-2008, 10:40 PM
I have a real easy job, all i need is a grounding rod and wire connected to my Race Gas cage just to be extra safe. I know i could do it by myself and guess, but i'd rather have it done right.

I pay in cash, beer, Or Race gas :D

Holeshot
06-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Just pick up a copper grounding rod at Menards and ground wire. Pound it into the ground affix wire via clamps to cage and rod and your all set. I can do it if you want. Not free until Monday night though

UnderPSI
06-28-2008, 07:55 AM
I have a 8' ground rod you can have. Make sure you call diggers hotline. You don't want to pound it through a gas line or buried wire. It happens all the time. Stop on over if you want it.

Smokey1226
06-28-2008, 09:06 AM
How deep do i have to go? How much should i leave sticking out of the ground? And there is a couple posts connected to the back of the cage for grounding purposes.

Yooformula
06-28-2008, 09:16 AM
nice avatar Holeshot!

nismodave
06-28-2008, 09:39 AM
How deep do i have to go? How much should i leave sticking out of the ground? And there is a couple posts connected to the back of the cage for grounding purposes.

You only want enough sticking out where the "Acorn" connector can be attached to the top of the ground rod.

http://www.grainger.com/images/products/enlarged/XL-2KXN3.JPG

Smokey1226
06-28-2008, 09:41 AM
You only want enough sticking out where the "Acorn" connector can be attached to the top of the ground rod.

Oh ok, so few inches or so. Excellent maybe ill go to menards today and pick it up, how deep does the rod have to go.....i dont think i could fit an 8' rod in my corolla! lol

nismodave
06-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh ok, so few inches or so. Excellent maybe ill go to menards today and pick it up, how deep does the rod have to go.....i dont think i could fit an 8' rod in my corolla! lol

You are not supposed to cut them for ELECTRICAL SERVICE applications.

If you are doing this grounding on your own accord, I guess you could go as deep as you like. But I would keep it 8'. It is going to suck pounding that thing in. You will most likely need.

A Sledge
A ladder
Muscles
Channel Locks

Or you could find out if Home Cheapo or another local Rental Place can rent you a Hammer Drill with the pounder attachment. Then you dont need as much muscle.:thumbsup

UnderPSI
06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
I have a 6' one you could have too.

Smokey1226
06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
O we have the muscle part covered but the rest of it is a little iffy.

nismodave
06-28-2008, 10:00 AM
O we have the muscle part covered but the rest of it is a little iffy.'

Good Luck!!!

Smokey1226
06-28-2008, 10:04 AM
I imagine the ground still should be kinda soft? After all we did have some standing water!

WickedSix
06-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Think a post pounder would be easier than whackin it with a sledge? @ least then you'd know each hit would be going to the rod and not say your hand, arm, elbow...I even got my knee once.... got one here if you need to barrow it.

Smokey1226
06-28-2008, 11:02 AM
We have a post pounder here which we use to pound in the stakes for the Race Gas signs.

I just gotta stop at menards for the Rod and the fitting. Anyone wanna meet me at the Taco Bell right next to Menards in burlington for lunch?

Rocket Power
06-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Anyone wanna meet me at the Taco Bell right next to Menards in burlington for lunch?
Home of the slowest service @ a taco bell anywhere:rolf We've waited 20 minutes AFTER we've ordered and paid:stare
(I work in Burlington)

Smokey1226
06-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Home of the slowest service @ a taco bell anywhere:rolf We've waited 20 minutes AFTER we've ordered and paid:stare
(I work in Burlington)

ok, then how about wendy's? Subway? Im still in my Robe, ill go take a shower now and head that way. Eventhough im only 3 minutes from Menards! And 2 of those minutes are me getting out of my subdivison.