PDA

View Full Version : ZR-1 Laps the ring in 7.26

Flicktitty
06-27-2008, 11:29 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/27/gauntlet-thrown-corvette-zr1-laps-the-ring-in-7-26-4/

Tadge J. Juechter, Corvette's chief engineer, announced this morning that Jim Mero, GM's development engineer, drove the ZR1 around the Nurburgring in 7:26.4. According to the GMNext blog, the run took place earlier this morning and that conditions were good on the track, with the exception of a strong headwind down the main straight. Mero also mentioned that he felt there were a few places where he could have gone faster, although no details were provided about why and where.

Juechter makes it clear in his post that the ZR1 that lapped the 'Ring in bone-stock trim, with the exception of safety and communications equipment. As such, the ZR1 was wearing the same Michelin Pilot Sport 2s that will be found on the production model, the chassis alignment and vehicle height were set to factory specs and the unmodified engine was running on pump gas.

The lap began with a rolling start – which falls in line with current industry practices – and the time was confirmed both through an electronic timing system and two hand-held stopwatches. The ZR1 team will be posting a video of their run when they return from Germany and we'll be keeping our eye out for it when it's online the week of July 7th.

Impressive. i honestly thought it woulda went faster.

so YES this is faster then the Nissan GT-R (7.29)
So time will tell as to if the V-Spec GT-R will beat the ZR-1

07ROUSHSTG3
06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
i am kind of surprised that it beat the gt-r time.

neat to see that it was done on pump gas in full stock showroom trim too!!

Z06 KID
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
i really do think that car is worth the price. best vette yette haha

GTSLOW
06-27-2008, 12:18 PM
i am kind of surprised that it beat the gt-r time.

:rolleyes:

Yooformula
06-27-2008, 01:01 PM
you forget the GT times were not actual since it was a race prepped car too.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-27-2008, 01:20 PM
you forget the GT times were not actual since it was a race prepped car too.

That is why i am shocked that the zr-1 in full showroom glory beat it. when nissan took the gt-r out there, they had a mission. it seems like the zr-1 went out there to have fun. not only that, but also it seems like that track is better suited for cars like the gt-r. :shades

84hurst
06-27-2008, 01:24 PM
so is this the fastest production car ever on the track? If so, that's very impressive, I gotta start saving my pennies!

WhatsADSM
06-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Yea I love Nissan but I'll be the first to admit, I truly believe the GT-R that ran the 7.29 around the ring was NOT the same thing that you buy fresh off the showroom floor. As mentioned before Nissan came out there with a "hell or high water" goal to get that chassis around the ring.

Kudos to the ZR-1, that thing is HOT!

HAMRHEAD
06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm impressed :thumbsup

Karps TA
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
so is this the fastest production car ever on the track? If so, that's very impressive, I gotta start saving my pennies!

You better have alot of pennies. Dealer markup on the cars are already being 2-3 times sticker.

Car Guy
06-27-2008, 01:41 PM
That's great to see but I'd be happy with a Z06, best bang for your $$$ sports car period.....:D

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Flicktitty
06-27-2008, 01:57 PM
from what i have heard. is the GTR time had some differant tires? not sure what else was really done. but still both cars are ****** fast.

Poncho
06-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Theo recital question.......

you are offered either a ZR1 or a Nissan.

which would you really pick?

Car Guy
06-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Easy, the ZR1.....:headbang

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Yooformula
06-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I would take the ZR1....nothing beats the sound of a nasty V8 imo and I do like the GT-R.

Karps TA
06-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Can I get one of these with the ZR1, then I'm sold!
http://www.karpsta.com/zr1hoodwiper.jpg

Flicktitty
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Theo recital question.......

you are offered either a ZR1 or a Nissan.

which would you really pick?

well, i would say Nissan YES REALLY! :devil

Cryptic
06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
yeah.. I was really on the fence on getting one till now :goof

Breecher_7
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Id still buy a regular old C6 Coupe. Say you buy the ZR1 at sticker because hell froze over. What is it like 105K? You can pick up a new C6 at invoice for around 45K, mabey less. Any idea what kind of RELIABLE and STREETABLE power you can make for 60K?

You have a 800+RWHP street car with every powertrain and suspension upgrade available for the MSRP of a ZR1.

So you have no warranty, hell if you were in that market money is probably deep anyways. Take that 20+K that you saved from the dealer markup and call that your warranty repair money.

For a Stock production vehicle, its about as bad ass as they come IMO. But dollar for dollar, they can keep it.

Just my views on it, i know where my money would be spent.

WhatsADSM
06-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Id still buy a regular old C6 Coupe. Say you buy the ZR1 at sticker because hell froze over. What is it like 105K? You can pick up a new C6 at invoice for around 45K, mabey less. Any idea what kind of RELIABLE and STREETABLE power you can make for 60K?

You have a 800+RWHP street car with every powertrain and suspension upgrade available for the MSRP of a ZR1.

So you have no warranty, hell if you were in that market money is probably deep anyways. Take that 20+K that you saved from the dealer markup and call that your warranty repair money.

For a Stock production vehicle, its about as bad ass as they come IMO. But dollar for dollar, they can keep it.

Just my views on it, i know where my money would be spent.

Yea you can never compare an OEM car to a modded car bang for the performance buck.

But take your example and then lets say 3 years down the road you are going to sell it. The ZR1 will have a much better resale. How about 10 or 20 years down the road. Now where would your money be better spent?

And of course you are buying it because it is a legendary car.... Not just a base c6 with its value in mods. Hell if you are going for bang for the buck you can probably start with a EVO or something and be quite a bit a head as well.
At the end of the day the guy in a ZR1 is driving a ZR1 and the guy in the EVO is driving a souped up econobox.

Karps TA
06-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Nissan released pricing on the GTR today

"The 2009 Nissan GT-R has a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP)* of $69,850 for the GT-R and $71,900 for the GT-R Premium model. Destination & Handling (D&H) is $1,000. The GT-R is available only through officially certified Nissan dealers that have met a number of strict sales, service and facilities commitments, including dedicating a master technician to GT-R service. A searchable listing of the 671 GT-R Certified Nissan dealers is available to consumers on nissanusa.com."

So it might be a couple seconds slow, but it's also $30K cheaper and alot closer in price to the Z06.

Yooformula
06-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I dont see them actually selling for sticker.

Flicktitty
06-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I dont see them actually selling for sticker.

True, there are some spoken for for around 89-95K from what i've seen.

i've noticed some BIG money MKIV supra guys are getting them.