PDA

View Full Version : Boating and Big Cedar Lake

twirkin50
06-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Kicking around the idea of buying a boat for fishing, skiing, tubing, relaxing. Those that have boats in the area what are your thoughts? Still an enjoyable hobby even with the gas prices? How are some of the local lakes? Big Cedar, Little Cedar, Silver Lake?

Thanks!

DynoTom
06-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Watch out for the cops on big cedar...I got busted ( bowlsheet ticket ) and so did many others out there when I NEVER had any issues on ANY other lake I have been on...

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
On Big Cedar go north fro the lauch and hit the east shoreline, great spot for bass and northern. A lake that i reccomend is Long Lake in Dundee. Another awesome lake for walleye large and smallmouth bass and pike.

twirkin50
06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Watch out for the cops on big cedar...I got busted ( bowlsheet ticket ) and so did many others out there when I NEVER had any issues on ANY other lake I have been on...

Is this the slow no wake thing I have heard so much about?

How are the other lakes in that area for tubing? Should I not go tubing on Big Cedar?

UnderPSI
06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Cheaper for me to spend a day out on the boat than it is for me to spend a day at the race track. I love boating, I am thinking of picking up a new boat at the end of this season when they have the big sales going on. Just don't buy a Bayliner. That is the trailer park trash of boats. Get Sea Ray FTW. I have a Fourwinns that I never had a problem with since it was new. I am going to get either a new Four Winns or a Sea Ray.

DirtyMax
06-26-2008, 02:55 PM
What do you guys know about Lowe boats? I was checking them out at Cabela's and they seem pretty nice. To an amatuer, they seem almost comparable to a Lund without having to pay for the name.

Breecher_7
06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Ive never had a problem on big cedar. I take the 20' Lund out there all the time. Never been busted for speeding either and I tear ass across that lake at 55mph plus whenever im out there.

Need to watch out for the sandbars though, gets shallow quick.

USMARINE1108
06-26-2008, 05:34 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E_SAFjARlMc

:thumbsup

Breecher_7
06-26-2008, 05:46 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E_SAFjARlMc

:thumbsup

Deep Pockets......... :stare

UnderPSI
06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
What do you guys know about Lowe boats? I was checking them out at Cabela's and they seem pretty nice. To an amatuer, they seem almost comparable to a Lund without having to pay for the name.

Lowe is a good brand, you won't get the same build quality as a Ranger, but they are still great boats. It should last as long as you will need it.

MurphysLaw88GT
06-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Bottomliners lol...

twirkin50
06-26-2008, 06:19 PM
What are your thoughts on this boat? Near my house so figured we would check it out.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/728145792.html

Breecher_7
06-26-2008, 06:49 PM
What are your thoughts on this boat? Near my house so figured we would check it out.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/728145792.html

Boat looks fine, dont know much about those engines though.

If its as clean as it looks in the pictures id say its a good deal.

Breecher_7
06-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Lowe is a good brand, you won't get the same build quality as a Ranger, but they are still great boats. It should last as long as you will need it.

I looked long and hard at rangers but to be honest I wasnt impressed. For the combination of the fishing I do and the build quality I couldnt beat lund. They were by far the best constructed and best multipurpose of the ones I looked at.

Silver03SRT
06-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Ranger FTMFW!!! I am partial to them because I own one. I would look into the fish and ski or the multi species boat. I have hte 618vs and its a dam nice boat. I wish I would have gone with the 619vs for the extra room and storage. If you are thinking lund get an alumacraft better build quality and just a hair less. just look at the rivits and the splash gaurds.

Breecher_7
06-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Ranger FTMFW!!! I am partial to them because I own one. I would look into the fish and ski or the multi species boat. I have hte 618vs and its a dam nice boat. I wish I would have gone with the 619vs for the extra room and storage. If you are thinking lund get an alumacraft better build quality and just a hair less. just look at the rivits and the splash gaurds.

I disagree with you on both. The rangers are heavy pigs and overpriced. As far as the Alumacraft being better construction then a lund, your out of your mind. I literally tore boats apart in showrooms looking at how they were built. The lund by far has the best constrution of any of the aluminum hull boats.

Dont get me wrong, i dont hate rangers, there just WAY overpriced for what they are.

Anyday you want to line that ranger up with me for some friendly competition, ill be waiting.

Silver03SRT
06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I guess you could see to each their own. I wouldnt trade my boat for anything else. Yes they are a bit pricey but its the little things that make the boat. As far as the alumacraft to lund a friend and I both looked at them and the craftsmanship is better on an alumacraft imho. Look at the haul there is a cap between the aluminum on the lunds its flush on a alumacraft. Stuff like that catches my eye.

Let me know when you wanna run :thumbsup I only have a 150

Silver03SRT
06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Ohh I forgot to say you will spank me out of the hole because it takes a bit to get on plane but I am going to get a jack plate to solve that problem.

Reverend Cooper
06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
big and little cedar equal the suck have fun getting on them duraing a weekend, then have fun with all the cops

twirkin50
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM
big and little cedar equal the suck have fun getting on them duraing a weekend, then have fun with all the cops

How is Silver lake on the weekends? Any recommendations of not so crowded lakes locally?

0TransAm0
06-30-2008, 10:36 PM
How is Silver lake on the weekends? Any recommendations of not so crowded lakes locally?

lake michigan
:) :thumbsup

Breecher_7
07-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Let me know when you wanna run :thumbsup I only have a 150

225 Merc Verado :thumbsup

Silver03SRT
07-01-2008, 08:03 AM
How do you like that motor? I heard they run great. I am wondering if I am going to regret getting a optimax. We can run sometime. Whats your top speed?

Breecher_7
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
62mph with the Merc High Five Prop.

56mph with the Merc Enertia Prop.

#'s Via Garmin GPS

The engine is amazing, its SILENT at idle and at power you really dont hear much more then the sound of the blower. The opti is a great engine, but I wouldnt even put them in the same catergory.

u_say_go
07-01-2008, 10:33 PM
silver lake is alright. hit the kettle on the north end of the lake for good fishing. try to stay away from piers though, some homeowners on that lake are total dicks.

Windsors 03 Cobra
07-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I heard a local talk show host talking about how all those homeowners on those lakes out there don't like people who don't live there using "their" lake.
Lake MI FTW.

DirtyMax
07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
We're looking at a 16" Tracker V16 Walk-Thru with a Merc 50. Part of me wants to go bigger but the other part is saying stay practical, mainly the wallet part... :goof

Reverend Cooper
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM

silver is not as bad,personally i would take a trip out to beaver dam or even rock lake in lake mills.

DirtyMax
07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Rock Lake is pretty nice. The launch is very wide open and it never seems overly crowded.

Reverend Cooper
07-02-2008, 09:11 PM
yeah if you go past the train bridge into the marsh it is great fishing my grandparents had a place in topels trailer park i grew up on that lake

twirkin50
07-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the lake ideas!!!