PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court finally makes it official...

Prince Valiant
06-26-2008, 09:45 AM
...the 2nd amendment preserves an individual's right to keep and bear arm.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Thursday, for the first time in the nation's history, that individual Americans have the right to own guns for personal use, and struck down a strict gun control law in the nation's capital.

The landmark 5-4 ruling marked the first time in nearly 70 years that the high court has addressed whether the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects an individual right to keep and bear arms, rather than a right tied to service in a state militia.

Can't even believe it was a 5-4 decision. Can't wait to read the opinions when they become available.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSWBT00928420080626?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=22&sp=true

ND4SPD
06-26-2008, 09:48 AM
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! The anti-gun left must be madder than hell. I'm sure we'll be seeing tons of coverage on MSNBC and CNN of people wailing in anguish over the fear of how we're all going to shoot each other and oh how the children will suffer and die and blah blah blah ba fricken blah.

Well, I'm sure it went straight down party lines with Justice Kennedy siding with the "conservative" side. He kinda flip-flops though so it could have gone either way. This is probably the most "balanced" supreme court you could have. You have 4 conservatives, 4 liberals, and one guy (Kennedy) who bounces back and forth. Thank God this was decided now and not later after Obama nominates a bunch more libbies to the high bench.

USMARINE1108
06-26-2008, 10:43 AM
It's good to see. I hope there is a CCW law passed in WI soon. I've had a CCW permit for quite some time down here in SC and hope to be an insturctor in the next year or so. I'm a big supporter of CC, firearm ownership and shooting sports in general. As already said, the Heller case could have gone either way. If you can find the recordings from the case, they are very interesting to listen to. I posted a link here to stream it live when it was going on, but I don't think it's an active link anymore. Not very much talk about gun violence/crime, but a lot of talk over semantics.

jamest
06-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Not until Diamond Jim Doyle is out of office.

Anakonda69
06-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Stupid Doyle.....

Bart H
06-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Stupid Doyle.....

Yup that about sums it up.

nismodave
06-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Its "Bingo" Doyle.

STANMAN
06-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Isn't it sad that 4 justices who are sworn into office with the oath to protect and uphold the constitution voted to destroy (part of) it?

ND4SPD
06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Well those would be the 4 justices that believe that the constitution is a "living" document and the interpretation must be continually updated. They believe that the constitution should be easy to change. That is what laws are for... the constitution SHOULD be VERY difficult to change. That's the whole point.

UnderPSI
06-26-2008, 04:58 PM
From what I understand now Doyle has no say. We have the right to have and carry firearms. I guess unless you are insane or a criminal.

Breecher_7
06-26-2008, 05:04 PM
As ive stated before there is techinically no law that stops you from carrying a firearm as long as it is visible in the state of wisconsin. I carry in the open all the time and have never even been asked for my FCCP.

A statewide CC would be great though...

USMARINE1108
06-26-2008, 05:26 PM
As ive stated before there is techinically no law that stops you from carrying a firearm as long as it is visible in the state of wisconsin. I carry in the open all the time and have never even been asked for my FCCP.

I have carried open before, but don't do it very often. Not that I have a problem with it, I just feel apprehensive that someone might try to grab it from me. I may be paranoid about this, but I feel that if someone see's me with a pistol, they think I have it for a specific reason ie: I'm carying a large sum of cash or something they may want to try (they wouldn't get very far) to get it from me. That's just a bad situation to be in. For that reason, I prefer CC. Hope that makes sence.

Prince Valiant
06-26-2008, 07:46 PM
From what I understand now Doyle has no say. We have the right to have and carry firearms. I guess unless you are insane or a criminal.
Truly, he doesn't. There are law's against it, and the cops can bust you on it, but a conviction would never stand.

pOrk
06-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I was arguing with a guy at work about the carrying a weapon in the open, does anyone know where I can find legal information regarding this? I thought you could do it, he said you can not.

STANMAN
06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
The only thing they can charge you with is disturbing the peace. There is no "law" against open carry.

Rocket Power
06-26-2008, 08:35 PM
941.23 Carrying concealed weapon . Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.
Law just says you can't carry concealed, they don't have to say you can carry open.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-26-2008, 08:35 PM

can i ask when you "carry in the open". not trying to be a smartass, but the mental picture i am getting is some guy walking down a busy street with a pistol strapped to his waist giving everyone the "dirty harry" evil eye, LOL!!

aren;t there city ordinances though??

STANMAN
06-26-2008, 08:47 PM
can i ask when you "carry in the open". not trying to be a smartass, but the mental picture i am getting is some guy walking down a busy street with a pistol strapped to his waist giving everyone the "dirty harry" evil eye, LOL!!

aren;t there city ordinances though??

That's what open carry is pretty much, without the "evil eye" part:rolf It's funny, during gun deer season I carry a Ruger Vaquero (single action revolver, like a Colt SAA) everywhere I go (this is in Ladysmith mind you), no-one ever says a word.:thumbsup

Taetsch Z-24
06-26-2008, 10:14 PM
About Time. now i want CCW, but I have no problem putting my drop holster from active duty back on with a M9 in it.:flipoff2: if people dont like it.

Chris

moels
06-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I wonder why we don't see people open carrying at all. I think tomorrow, I am going to go for a walk with one of my pistols in a shoulder holster and see if I get hasseled. I BET I DO! lol

That_Guy
06-27-2008, 02:59 AM
chalk one for the NRA..

wOOOT

Z28Envy
06-27-2008, 03:17 AM
I still lived in Minnesota when they passed CC. After that pretty much every business put up a sign that you could not carry a firearm into the business. Of course all government building did it but also gas stations and pretty much most every business. But still worth it to be able to carry it without it being seen.

Breecher_7
06-27-2008, 05:28 AM
I still lived in Minnesota when they passed CC. After that pretty much every business put up a sign that you could not carry a firearm into the business. Of course all government building did it but also gas stations and pretty much most every business. But still worth it to be able to carry it without it being seen.

Now please enlighten me because with my fccp the only places I am not allowed to carry are Banks, the booze mart, bars, Federal buildings and state buildings. If the state of wisconsin passes the CC law can business owners actually "enforce" a policy of no carrying in there place of business without infringing on someones legal rights?

Good question huh? I will be trying to find an answer to this today.

Mr. Heston would be proud.

ND4SPD
06-27-2008, 06:52 AM

From my understanding the sign has to meet a certain criteria or it isn't valid... i.e. you can't just take a sheet of paper and write it with magic marker and stick it up in the window. Furthermore, I think it's just a civil fine if you get caught carrying in a business that has it posted. Obviously you get into more trouble if you carry into a school or bar which is flat out prohibited by their cc law. A good friend of mine lives in Minnapolis and carries. I have to give him a call back today so if you have any other questions about Minnesota's CC law, let me know and I'll ask him about it. He's pretty well infomed on that law.

Z28Envy
06-27-2008, 07:24 AM
I don't know what they can all do but I know that even the places that I worked had signs(not hand written)up stating that you could not carry a weapon into the business. My best friend is a cop and he said now that it is posted he isn't allowed to carry into a posted business unless he is working. I'm not claiming that I know what the exact law is over there or anything. I just know that most business's posted signs saying you couldn't have guns in the business. I am going to write my friend and get clarification from him. I am curious to know now what the law is with the cc and private businesses.

ND4SPD
06-27-2008, 09:17 AM
I think the law is just as has been said, you can't carry in schools, government buildings, airports, taverns, and businesses where it's posted. But, if you carry into a business that has a no CC sign up they can't take the gun away from you or anything like that. If you get caught and they manage to "prosecute" you for it, it's like I said, a civil fine (like a parking ticket).

Taetsch Z-24
06-27-2008, 12:37 PM
OR, its just somthing else to take to the high court.

Chris