PDA

View Full Version : can the dmv really do this?

diablizzard
06-24-2008, 10:57 AM
I picked up an motor cycle about a month ago. I tried to register it and they told me that they couldn't register it because the previous owner bounced his last chack that went through the dmv. They want either me or him to pay the balance of about $250. they problem now is that the guy died just recently and they still want me to pay the $250. how is it my responsibility to pay his debt?

Nick
06-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Pay the balance for what?

Deggy
06-24-2008, 10:59 AM
It shouldn't be, I have never heard of that happening. Especially because he is now passed, it shouldn't be your problem, that doesn't make sense having to pay someones debt.

Prince Valiant
06-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Since he owes the DMV, he lost the right to use their service to maintain the ownership title and thus transfer it as he saw fit. It's not a lien on the vehicle per se, but one on it's title. Not much different than money was owed on the vehicle to the bank, they wouldn't allow any transfer of the title unless conditions were met or agreed upon.

You could take it to probate and file a claim against his estate for the balance to the DMV...IF his estate can cover his expenses, then you'll eventually get your money. If he can't, you're out.

Pretty much pay the balance, file a claim, and hope it comes back to you. You can't legally sell the bike off without the title. The bike is likely to be 250 bucks more expensive than you thought it'd be...should have checked if it was a clean title perhaps prior to the purchase. Going to wisconsin's DMV site likely would have given you the info you needed...

pOrk
06-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Since he owes the DMV, he lost the right to use their service to maintain the ownership title and thus transfer it as he saw fit. It's not a lien on the vehicle per se, but one on it's title. Not much different than money was owed on the vehicle to the bank, they wouldn't allow any transfer of the title unless conditions were met or agreed upon.

You could take it to probate and file a claim against his estate for the balance to the DMV...IF his estate can cover his expenses, then you'll eventually get your money. If he can't, you're out.

Pretty much pay the balance, file a claim, and hope it comes back to you. You can't legally sell the bike off without the title. The bike is likely to be 250 bucks more expensive than you thought it'd be...should have checked if it was a clean title perhaps prior to the purchase. Going to wisconsin's DMV site likely would have given you the info you needed...

I can honestly say I never thought of this, if the guy had the title and there weren't any liens who would check? THe DMV is such a hassle to deal with. Try a different DMV maybe? Or is this something that is in the computer system until its paid for?

Crawlin
06-24-2008, 11:12 AM
it's probably in the computer system.

at the very least, get that in written documentation and maybe bring it to his family's residence and show them. Or have them meet you at the dmv and just say there were some complications with titling it because of his recent passing.

but yeah, when you look at a title and it doesn't have any liens on it, you'd think you'd be ok.

diablizzard
06-24-2008, 11:21 AM
yeah, I didn't think there was any sort of lein. they have it in the computer there is no way that it can be bypassed through the computer.

i still don't think that it is my problem to deal with. they should've just suspended his license right when it happened.

can I file for a lost title? just kidding

Karps TA
06-24-2008, 11:23 AM
It's Doyles way of not raising taxes. Now he's added a $250 fee if you die before selling your vehicles.

diablizzard
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
if only that were true.

it's more like the dmv is a little dictatorship within the usa, and can still tax the us citizens

Prince Valiant
06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
i still don't think that it is my problem to deal with. Well, in a way...you're right. HE owes the money. Just because you die doesn't mean your debts are forgiven. BUT, you CAN wait, and HOPE that the DMV files a claim against the estate, in which case you'll eventually get to process the title....that being IF the DMV files the claim on their own, and IF his estate can cover the debt (which seems unlikely due to his bouncing a check to them before). Or you can pay now, get the title NOW, then you take the time to file the claim and hope for reimbursement.

Either way, HE screwed YOU. Like I said, it sucks, but I'd pay what he owes, then file a claim...and know better next time. At least you then get to enjoy your bike sooner rather than later (if ever...then some family member could try to lay claim to the bike...unlikely since you possess a signed title and the bike, but still...)

btw, they probably DID suspend his license.

diablizzard
06-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I know that I'm going to have to deal with it. It just doesn't mean that I'm gonna stop compainin about it. If i really do end up getting back the money in the end then I won't have a problem.

I had a similar situation before with another car that I bought where the guy owed a ton of money for parking tickets, and the dmv made me sign an agreement that he wouldn't be allowed to drive it.

Yooformula
06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
how much was the bike? at this point will the $250 break you?

4eyedstang
06-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I have had this exact thing happen to me with a car purchase except it was $1100 and i filed in probate and 4 years later got a check .just pay and wait they have you by the balls :flipoff2:

CobraSnake
06-24-2008, 11:50 AM
how much was the bike? at this point will the $250 break you?

probably not but i'd be pissed to. Thats 250 more dollars I could've had in my pocket but, since this guy was a asshat I have to pay for his mistakes.

Mark

mrz28M6
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
otherwise i would grab a family member of the guy and have them go into the dmv with you with his death certificate? the only bad thing is i'm sure the family wont want to do it.

Cryptic
06-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Put a claim against the estate (probate), like Chris said.
I would try to contact the Personal Representative (estate rep) and see if they will just take care of you. This is their legal job to take care of loose ends like these.

Knyghtmare
06-24-2008, 02:38 PM
What DMV did you take it to? If it was that testing site in Waukesha over by the airport, thats not really a DMV. They are contracted through the DMV to emissions test and renew plates, ect. So if you took it to that one, this might be why they are doing that and you should go to the actual DMV in downtown waukesha who might be able to help you out more.

diablizzard
06-24-2008, 03:03 PM
I usually go to the dmv in greendale on grange and loomis. I didn't think that I would be able to get a title at a testing station