PDA

View Full Version : Vista Service Pack 1, should I install it?

badass88gt
06-19-2008, 05:26 PM
My computer is trying to get me to install Vista Service Pack 1. What is improved and should I bother with it? Thanks-Dan

lit666
06-19-2008, 05:30 PM
uninstall vista and reload windows XP. Thanks for visiting.

badass88gt
06-19-2008, 05:56 PM
No can do. Came preinstalled on the laptop. She likes Vista, I dont mind it as much as I used to. I do prefer to use our XP machine though.

Neal Steffek
06-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Yes, Vista is way better then XP. The only people who say XP is better is people with five year old computers and mac users.

I am running Vista 64 and love it WAY more then XP.

And yes, SP 1 is good stuff.

H8RADE
06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Go SP1.
Good call.

PureSound15
06-20-2008, 03:52 PM
My vista laptop likes SP1. My memory usage went way down right after I installed it (I'm not a "computer guy," but I can only assume it's one of the problems they fixed.)

Myles
06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
**** off ryan, you dont ******* know shit you peice of ******* garbage

CannotPost
06-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes, Vista is way better then XP. The only people who say XP is better is people with five year old computers and mac users.

I installed SP1 for vista on both my machines and they both run great still.

Silver03SRT
06-20-2008, 11:56 PM
XP>Vista nuff said

T-Bag
06-21-2008, 06:58 AM

You're ******* kidding me right?

The people that say XP better are the people that enjoy getting the most out of their system and OS without it hogging a shit ton of resources and generally running about half what it is capable of.

vista = garbage

Neal Steffek
06-21-2008, 07:21 AM
You're ******* kidding me right?

The people that say XP better are the people that enjoy getting the most out of their system and OS without it hogging a shit ton of resources and generally running about half what it is capable of.

vista = garbage

And who told you this? Look at any charts on programs and they almost ALL run faster on Vista. Was this true when Vista first came out? No, of course not. Just like a few years ago when everyone who thought they knew what they were talking about said stick with 98SE instead of going to XP, becasue XP take up ALL of your resources.

Get with the times, Vista owns XP now that the drivers have matured.

CannotPost
06-21-2008, 08:15 AM
And who told you this? Look at any charts on programs and they almost ALL run faster on Vista. Was this true when Vista first came out? No, of course not. Just like a few years ago when everyone who thought they knew what they were talking about said stick with 98SE instead of going to XP, becasue XP take up ALL of your resources.

Yea! 3 fingered pimp slap FTW.

PureSound15
06-21-2008, 09:53 AM
**** off ryan, you dont ******* know shit you peice of ******* garbage

Where have you been all my life, Myles.

Go back to work.

T-Bag
06-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Vista owns nothing...do you play any games that required any sort of huge requirements? Read ANY review on some of the modern games, the reviewers usually test these on a greater system at work then go home and play it on XP with less hardware and still manage to get better framerates at higher graphics settings. One great example of this is Age of Connan.

formul8
06-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I have Vista and think it is fine. I downloaded SP1 and no problems.

Neal Steffek
06-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Vista owns nothing...do you play any games that required any sort of huge requirements? Read ANY review on some of the modern games, the reviewers usually test these on a greater system at work then go home and play it on XP with less hardware and still manage to get better framerates at higher graphics settings. One great example of this is Age of Connan.

Actually, yes, I am a huge gamer.

My computer specs are

Intel Q6600
780I MoBo
4 Gigs of ram
8800 GTS 512 MB (G92 core and overclocked)
everything is run at 1680 x 1050 on my 22" LCD

Trust me, Vista works WAY better.

formul8
06-22-2008, 02:21 PM
The biggest problem with Vista is the aero glass graphics engine must constantly render the slick look. If you have a mahine that is geared toward multi-media or gaming, it can handle this no problem. If you have a machine that is weak on RAM and has low graphic handling capability, yeah it will be slow.

The machine listed above would run Vista and all its slick features no problem. People think it is a bloated memory hog, but if your machine has plenty of horsepower- it will be no problem.

Welcome to the future, folks. Get used to it. ;)

T-Bag
06-22-2008, 10:42 PM
The biggest problem with Vista is the aero glass graphics engine must constantly render the slick look. If you have a mahine that is geared toward multi-media or gaming, it can handle this no problem. If you have a machine that is weak on RAM and has low graphic handling capability, yeah it will be slow.

The machine listed above would run Vista and all its slick features no problem. People think it is a bloated memory hog, but if your machine has plenty of horsepower- it will be no problem.

Welcome to the future, folks. Get used to it. ;)

What you are saying makes sense, however it should not have been released on 90% of the computers it was released to begin with if this is the case. My dad and girlfriend have the same Toshiba laptop that they got last year, and they both came with Vista and run like dogs compared to my laptop which has half the memory and a somewhat weaker CPU.

Neal Steffek
06-22-2008, 11:50 PM
What you are saying makes sense, however it should not have been released on 90% of the computers it was released to begin with if this is the case. My dad and girlfriend have the same Toshiba laptop that they got last year, and they both came with Vista and run like dogs compared to my laptop which has half the memory and a somewhat weaker CPU.

That is not Microsofts fault that they purchased an under powered computer. Just like years ago when XP first came out and some computers only had 128 MB of ram. Many people said STICK WITH 98SE!! XP SUCKS!!! Well, you don't hear that any more do you.

T-Bag
06-23-2008, 07:05 AM
That is not Microsofts fault that they purchased an under powered computer. Just like years ago when XP first came out and some computers only had 128 MB of ram. Many people said STICK WITH 98SE!! XP SUCKS!!! Well, you don't hear that any more do you.

I would hardly consider a 1.8 ghz centrino w/ 2 gigs of ram "underpowered" to the point where it can't run an operating system better than the previous version of Windows. They might not be gaming machines, but calling them underpowered is kind of far fetched....they are less than a year old.

formul8
06-23-2008, 09:35 PM

When you can walk into Best Buy and get a laptop with 3GB of RAM, 250GB hard drive and a dual core processor for less than $750, that is becoming less of a problem.

Computers are getting extremely cheap and powerful. Vista is becoming less "bloated" as this happens.

I like Vista. Hopefully, the next Windows version that comes out will be even better.

T-Bag
06-24-2008, 07:27 AM
To each their own I guess, we'll agree to disagree...but I guess someday I will eventually have to make the switch.

Want_Notch
06-24-2008, 07:32 AM
I have had no problems with SP1 plus I think both my computers with Vista run a little faster with it.