PDA

View Full Version : Good source for 340 rebuild kit???

Swags63
06-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I have a 68 340 X head motor that I want to go through. It is in the machine shop and cleaned up at 60 over on the bore. I going to need a complete rebuild kit for it, does anyone know of a good source??

Thanks, Dave

forest
06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
eagle specialty products, 1-662-796-7373 408 inch stroker.

Prince Valiant
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.hughesengines.com/- A mopar specialty shop. All sorts of kit's from cheap to expensive. Probably the one of the better mopar cam makers as well...
Indy cylinder heads (http://www.indyheads.com/)-Some of the better inexpensive stuff comes from here.. Can also get the best from here too...
Ohio crankshaft (http://www.ohiocrank.com/home.html) makes some good stroker stuff (same as the guys above, but their stuff is pretty good for the cost).
Speed-o-motive (http://www.speedomotive.com/) is also a pretty decent shop from budget to wild.

Are you going to retain the stock "X" heads? I'd be tempted to sell them at a good price for someone looking at concourse style resto, and look to some AL heads for not too much more than you sold the X heads off for.

Swags63
06-18-2008, 02:54 PM
What I'm trying to do is decide whether or not to keep the engine or sell it off having must off the machine work done. I wasn't sure until this week if the block was going to clean up or not. But if I keep it I will be looking for a decent roller or 6 cyl. Car put it in. Any idea where I can find one if I decide to keep it, or what do you think I should price it at if I go to sell it. It is a complete long block with the adjustable pushrods and stainless valves. I also have the matching 4 spd. with bell housing but the Trans needs to be gone through.

Thanks for your help, Dave

Prince Valiant
06-18-2008, 03:23 PM
As far as the engine...sold "as is", assembled, with "X" heads could probably go to the "RIGHT" buyer for ~ 1500-2000...even if it isn't in perfect shape/ running condition provided everything there.

...problem is, finding the "right" buyer, which is probably someone whose going to want it for a specific year/model in which that engine would be considered correct for a restoration-type, or even a replica type project.

I'd recommend trying to see what you can get for it on Moparts.com (http://www.moparts.com). It doesn't cost anything, and it'll save you the hassle of machining/building/dealing with someone whose not happy with your product in the future. Best thing is, that's exactly where a restorer would look for something like that product.

But a pre-72 340 (all forged, internally balanced) with X heads should always bring in good money :thumbsup

STANMAN
06-18-2008, 10:45 PM
I always wanted a 340 to put into a Fox body stang. I love 340's! I would like to put it into like a 70 Dart, but finding a decent A (or E) body Mopar to put anything into is pricey. Now a Fox roller, not so much:rolf Best of both worlds, Mopar meets Ford:thumbsup

And to think, both my Challenger and Duster had 340's/A833's, and I sold them both for peanuts. My crystal ball must have been on the fritz the years I sold those cars:rolf

Prince Valiant
06-18-2008, 11:45 PM
I would like to put it into like a 70 Dart, but finding a decent A (or E) body Mopar to put anything into is pricey. Plenty of decent A-bodies for not that much. Find a 72-76 and it isn't hard getting them to look like a 70. Find one with the 318, and a 340 swap becomes easy as pie...plus you get all the stuff you already need in the stronger than expected 8 1/4 (it's what the valiant had) and large enough to keep pretty much any hot small block cool radiator, and the easy to build strong enough for most small block 904 or 833 based tranny, larger torsion bars/stronger rear leafs. If worried about a 904 car, a 727 goes right in with a slight shortening of the driveshaft. A good clean, mostly straight non-descript 318 A bod of those years can probably be had for 2-3G if you look hard enough.

Far easier than converting a fox-bod from 4 banger to 8 cylinder stuff imo.

I'm still mad I passed on the last cheap E-body. 72 Barracuda (looks like the 70 save for minor grille differences) 318, just painted, needed some interior work...5G. Now, any E body goes for 10, no matter the condition. Also, came across a rust free, faded paint/cracked dash/torn seat 1970 'cuda for only 3200 in high school. That car in that condition would bring 15-20 :(

70 cutlass 442
06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
kilpatrick engine and transmission in Waukesha, they are the area Mopar gurus.

STANMAN
06-19-2008, 06:59 PM
kilpatrick engine and transmission in Waukesha, they are the area Mopar gurus.

And they have Mopar prices (that would be at least 3X building anything else:rolf) to! But yeah, they do great work! If you are used to Mopars, the prices shouldn't really even make you flinch:stare

70 cutlass 442
06-20-2008, 12:11 PM
And they have Mopar prices (that would be at least 3X building anything else:rolf) to! But yeah, they do great work! If you are used to Mopars, the prices shouldn't really even make you flinch:stare

very true. but i always say if your broke, build a chevy :thumbsup

Swags63
09-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I called the guys at Speed-o-Motive and they set me up with everthing I needed. Good prices and very helpful, I would recommend them. :headbang:headbang:thumbsup