PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Curve or Palm Treo?

badass88gt
06-18-2008, 09:26 AM
My girlfriend wants a smart phone and is deciding between these 2. Which is better and why? She runs her own salon business so she will be using it for appointment scheduling also. Thanks-Dan

johnny--2k
06-18-2008, 09:32 AM
They are both great phones, just depends on what she wants. Palm's biggest advantage over the BB is the touch screen, makes some things a lot easier, plus their web browsing is a lot nicer. Threaded messaging is also AWESOME!!! I was dead set on a Windows Mobile phone, and now that i have my Palm, I love it. Wont get another windows phone again.

BB is also very nice, lots of aftermarket support and apps, as well as the palm, but the BB's are really awkward to use for the first few days. Takes some time to get used to. Palm is a bit more open platform and you can get a lot more apps for the palms than you can for the BB.

My 2 cents, get the palm. If she doesnt like it, she can switch to the BB within 14 days or 30 days depending on the provider. They give you a kind of "trial period" so to speak.

badass88gt
06-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks Johnny. She's also considering the Moto Q.

johnny--2k
06-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Nice comparison here:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id%5B%5D=1560&id%5B%5D=1188&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=

johnny--2k
06-18-2008, 09:41 AM
big HELL NO on the moto Q. Nothing but problems, windows mobile is a complete waste of time. Constantly freezing, locking up, typical windows crap. Stay as far away as possible. Everyone I know that has one hates it.

Yooformula
06-18-2008, 09:53 AM
I love my palm treo. I havent had a single issue with mine and I run the palm software.

PureSound15
06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I had a Palm Treo with the palm software, and then I had the treo with the windows software.

Now I have a blackberry Curve. For messaging, I think it's just as easy as the treo in either platform. It really depends on what all she's going to use it for. Spreadsheets and documents are a bit easier to view and add forumlas and what not with the treo, butg it only took a few times with the blackberry to get used to it.

Plus... the Curve is sexy. Very thin and very light.

I liked all of the phones, but with both of my treos I had some glitches and had to restart it just like a normal computer here and there.

84hurst
06-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm on my fifth treo right now, and happy. Like Johhny said, support and downloads and software upgrades are readily available and free. I went from a treo to a flip phone a few weeks ago and found out I cant live without my treo so I upgraded back to it. I have a couple of friends that had the blackberry pearl and hated it so they returned it within a couple of days. Treo FTW!

UnderPSI
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I have the Treo 755p. This is the third one for me now, I would be lost with a different phone. Super easy to use.

Yooformula
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
I ended up buying Brad's old treo for the wife. I too tried a flip phone for about a day and traded back for a treo.

PureSound15
06-18-2008, 05:14 PM
I actually have a week old Treo 700Wx sitting in my closet with a million accessories. It's for the Verizon Network, I'm not sure if you're looking at the brand new 'body style' or last years model, but let me know if you're interested.

team beater
06-18-2008, 06:16 PM
curve

ND4SPD
06-18-2008, 06:28 PM
I have had little experience with the Blackberries, but I've had 3 PocketPC-based phones now and have been pretty happy with all of them. The Palm Treo 700w was my first and out of the three was the best "phone". The other two were far better PDAs than they were phones, but for me that's fine since I use the PDA functions far more often than I use the phone. I first started looking at PDA phones back when the Moto Q first came out. Once I got my hands on the Q I found it's lack of a touch screen to be an undesireable limitation for me. There is something to be said for the simplicity of phones like the Q though.

Keep in mind that if you get some sort of PDA phone, you're going to need a data plan. The unlimited ones run around $30 to $40 a month. Don't even think about getting a limited plan because if she uses the data/internet features... there's a VERY high probability she's going to hit that limit.