PDA

View Full Version : More Bad Luck

Breecher_7
06-13-2008, 06:02 PM
So I was under my truck today greasing up the steering....and what do I see...

Oil on the the back of the engine/front of the transmission. Thats right people, we have a rear main seal leak or a leak on the turbo oil return line on a truck with 8K miles.. :flipoff2:

Either way the trans has to come out.

Apparently these are common problems with this truck, just my luck though.....

Deggy
06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Sorry to hear that. Warranty will cover it though right?

Breecher_7
06-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear that. Warranty will cover it though right?

Yeah warranty will cover it. After doing some research though, the dealer will most likely have hell to pay by the time this is fixed. Seems there is numerous common issues that cause this oil accumulation/leak on in that spot. Ive seen posts on other forums from 50+ people that had there trucks back 5,6,7 up to 26 times to get this problem repaired.

Seems as if most dealers are trying to find the "quick fix" wich isnt even the problem and sending them off.

Does anyone know if you can take a Chevy to a GMC dealer for warranty work? Bob fish in west bend has a service dept seperate from the main dealer dedicated specifically to the HD diesel/allison trucks. Id love to be able to take it there. But if all else fails, you know the drill and how it usually ends up. :stare

Karps TA
06-13-2008, 07:25 PM
That's not a problem. It's GM's external lubrication system. The back of the block and the transmission are known to get alot of surface rust as well as the underneath of the vehicle. This is a carefully designed system that allows your old, used oil to be recycled while coating integral parts of the truck which could be affected by road grime and salt. This is an added feature with no cost to you!

pOrk
06-13-2008, 07:29 PM
^ haha, sounds like an excuse HD would come up with.

Breecher_7
06-13-2008, 07:52 PM
^ haha, sounds like an excuse HD would come up with.

:rolf That was pretty funny

Breecher_7
06-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I have nothing nice to say right now, truck is going back tuesday when the part comes in that the truck DOES NOT need.

WHY!!!!!????? Do dealerships not hire service managers that actually know shit about the vehicles they service? Im so tired of dealing with know it alls that dont know shit and give nothing but wrong information.

"Sir your truck has a rear main seal leak"

"oh yeah, did you pull the transmission? How do you know for sure?"

"No, we didnt, but thats where the leak looks like its coming from"

"Did it occur to you to take a look at the oil lines to and from the turbo?"

"Sir, its not the turbo"

"Then why is there oil accumulation by it?"

"Uh Uh Uh Uh, well we just ordered the rear main seal incase that is the problem when we pull the transmission"

Thats more or less how the conversation went down.....

GTSLOW
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
As long as you get a decent rental, fvck them.

PonyKiller87
06-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know if you can take a Chevy to a GMC dealer for warranty work? Bob fish in west bend has a service dept seperate from the main dealer dedicated specifically to the HD diesel/allison trucks. Id love to be able to take it there. But if all else fails, you know the drill and how it usually ends up. :stare

I would stay away from Bob Fish, my dad is stuck dealing with them for his Topkick and so far they don't know there a$$ from a hole in the ground.

wrath
06-18-2008, 10:16 PM
"Uh Uh Uh Uh, well we just ordered the rear main seal incase that is the problem when we pull the transmission"

Thats more or less how the conversation went down.....

It's warranty work. They probably need to keep their service people busy so even though they don't get much for it there is still money to be had.

I'd consider writing letters to GM. Sometimes stuff comes from it.

Breecher_7
06-19-2008, 04:43 AM
I would stay away from Bob Fish, my dad is stuck dealing with them for his Topkick and so far they don't know there a$$ from a hole in the ground.

The only reason I took it there is because my boss's father used to be there VP and he recomended it. That and they have a service dept dedicated to just HD trucks. I thought they may actually know about the damn trucks if that is what they specialize there. Seemed like a good plan of action at the time.

Im still gonna give them a fair shake though, when the part comes in the truck will go back to them.

PonyKiller87
06-19-2008, 08:28 AM
The only reason I took it there is because my boss's father used to be there VP and he recomended it. That and they have a service dept dedicated to just HD trucks. I thought they may actually know about the damn trucks if that is what they specialize there. Seemed like a good plan of action at the time.

Im still gonna give them a fair shake though, when the part comes in the truck will go back to them.

Yeah I know all about thier HD trucks deal. There also the only Monroe conversion place around too so pretty much all the Meduim duty (C4500, C5500....) go through them. My dad bought his C4500 top kick through them and it was a nightmare, there service dept would have the truck for weaks at a time for the stupidest problems. Same thing with the C5500 he has now. They had the truck for over 2 weeks trying to diagnose a low speed vibration. They replaced the transfer case, it helped a little, then it was like they were ready to just keep throwing parts at it till the vibration went away. After some research we found out that the problem is usualy the front tires. Sure enough they checked the front tires and they turned out to be out of round. So they had it for that long for what turns out is a common tire problem on these trucks.