PDA

View Full Version : ~~~~~~Project BASEMENT is starting~~~~~~

Mr Twigbert
06-13-2008, 05:13 PM
I posted about this like 6-7 months ago..

Well the time has come..

As of today I have 1 month off of work.. I spent the whole day cleaning out the basement.. I estimate the project will start on Monday..

First is to Dry Lock the walls..
Second will be picking up the wood and starting the framing..

I plan on calling upon some of skilled people of this site..

What I need:

1) I need someone to come over and show me how to frame.. I will do the work.. All you would have to do is spend a few hours showing me how to cut, where to cut and the best way to lay out the framing..

2) Electrical work.. I can drill holes, run wire, hook up outlets but I need supervision.. I don't know where to put, how often to put or how high to put the outlets.. I also don't have a clue about running it to the braker box..

3) Gas heater hook up.. I know how to hook up a gas heater but somethings are just better left to the people who do it every day.. A gas leak is never a good thing..

All the above listed jobs will result in being paid.. I can't say how much.. But I know nothing in life is free..

I don't have a time line yet becuase I have no idea how long this stuff will take.. I'd like to think week 1 will be framing.. Week 2 electrical and week 3 gas.. But who the hell knows..

If you would like to offer your assistance please post.. Please indicate what field you can best offer your assistance..

/hail BCM'ers!

Lash
06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Oh boy....lol.

No HVAC diffusers in the new basement?

LIL EVO
06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
What about permits?

UnderPSI
06-13-2008, 05:45 PM
You could come over and check mine out, I am 3/4 way through mine.

Karps TA
06-13-2008, 05:50 PM
What about permits?

As a person who went thru hell with the City of Muskego because of not having an electrical permit, I'd be very careful what you try to do without one. It's not easy finding a licensed electrician who wants to come out and pull a permit for DIYer work.

Lash
06-13-2008, 05:57 PM
What about permits?

x a million

SpdRcrZ
06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
permits are for pussies!!!!

;)

lit666
06-13-2008, 07:12 PM
wtf u need permits for your basement?

Breecher_7
06-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Yes you technically need permits.

Twig if you need help with any of the above listed things let me know, i can help on all levels.

Karps TA
06-13-2008, 07:22 PM

City needs to make their money off you somehow. You think property, sales and income taxes are enough to keep them employed?

HAMRHEAD
06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Just do the work and pay the small fine when you sell the house for not having a permit. Assuming the stuff is put in to code.

That_Guy
06-13-2008, 10:36 PM
my family has been in the flooring business for 30 years. shoot me a pm when your ready for surfaces.. i can get you things at dam near cost

70 cutlass 442
06-14-2008, 12:46 AM
ill run your cable tv lines for you and give you a hand with the AC for a 30 case

lordairgtar
06-14-2008, 12:50 AM
I'll drink all your beer and scotch and supervise.

CobraSnake
06-14-2008, 09:09 AM
damn guys ****a permit. Don't waste your time twig getting permits. First of all the city is going to be taxing you for something that is under grade that you really can't count on the square footage. Unless your also putting in a egress window. So don't get permits because if its all done right when you sell the house no one will know because the inspection will come back good. I would say electrical is your biggest concern because there are some many weird ways you have to do that stuff.

Mark

CATNHAT
06-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Getting a framer that knows what he is doing is very important. If they have done basements before and have had inspections, than they will be used to dealing with fire/draft stopping issues. You need to know what to look for. Same with insulating exterior walls and using vapor barrier.

Permits for basements are mainly for the tax assesor so they can increase your assesment and YOU PAY MORE!! FT!

PM if you want we can talk about a lot of local guys that are competent and will let you work with them so you can save scratch and learn at the same time.

I have finished about 40 basements in the last 5 years and am almost done with mine. Let me know if you want to see how i did mine for ideas.

Do you have your plans drawn up yet?

UnderPSI
06-14-2008, 09:34 AM
If you don't have an egress window, it doesn't count as square footage. If you aren't going to put an egress window in, just do the work and if you sell it, just tell them it was like that when you bought it.

You need and egress window for the living space and one for each bedroom if you are going that route. Every room needs two fire escapes one being the stairs going up the other being either a Egress window or door. Make sure you check your local building codes to see what the dimensions for the size need to be. Remember the size of the exit is the opening of the window while it's open. So a 24"x48" window usually won't have the same dimensions when it's open. If you need a 24"x48" opening for an escape, you would probably need a 30"x55" window. Just something to keep in mind.

lit666
06-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Twig has glass block windows for his basement windows, no one is getting out of those.

CobraSnake
06-14-2008, 10:39 AM
If you don't have an egress window, it doesn't count as square footage. If you aren't going to put an egress window in, just do the work and if you sell it, just tell them it was like that when you bought it.

You need and egress window for the living space and one for each bedroom if you are going that route. Every room needs two fire escapes one being the stairs going up the other being either a Egress window or door. Make sure you check your local building codes to see what the dimensions for the size need to be. Remember the size of the exit is the opening of the window while it's open. So a 24"x48" window usually won't have the same dimensions when it's open. If you need a 24"x48" opening for an escape, you would probably need a 30"x55" window. Just something to keep in mind.

you also want to make sure that you can fit a fire fighter in and out with full equipment on otherwise its not up to code.

Mark

UnderPSI
06-14-2008, 10:45 AM
What? All you need to do is check the local building code to see what size it needs to be while it's open. It has nothing to do with the size of your local firefighter and his equipment.

CobraSnake
06-14-2008, 11:15 AM
What? All you need to do is check the local building code to see what size it needs to be while it's open. It has nothing to do with the size of your local firefighter and his equipment.

from what I was told the local building code size SHOULD by the size so that fire fighters can get in and out.

Mark

Reverend Cooper
06-14-2008, 12:32 PM
that makes no sense at all,what if one firefighter is tubby and another is skinny who should it fit, it is a standard size that the building inspection office makes it be

CobraSnake
06-14-2008, 12:34 PM
that makes no sense at all,what if one firefighter is tubby and another is skinny who should it fit, it is a standard size that the building inspection office makes it be

its based on a average build fire fighter from my understanding. Unforuantely the fat ones are going to have to use the front door or lose some ******* weight.

Mark

Mr Twigbert
06-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks a TON for all the tips guys.. And thanks for the PMs!

I am still in the process of getting EVERYTHING out so I have TOTAL movement for when the project starts.. About 80% done..

Now I just have to move all the chit that the wife won't let me throw out over to the other side of the basement..

awsomeears
06-14-2008, 11:33 PM
3) Gas heater hook up.. I know how to hook up a gas heater but somethings are just better left to the people who do it every day.. A gas leak is never a good thing..

PM me we already talked about this :durr

CannotPost
06-16-2008, 08:05 AM
damn guys ****a permit. Don't waste your time twig getting permits. Mark

Truth

Mr Twigbert
06-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Here are some updated pics..

I realize 98% of you don't care what hell happens in my basement but I am glad to be finally moving forward w/ the project.. And to show you guys I didn't post asking for advice and not use it.. I am actually using every bit you guys offered me..

I Dry Locked the walls, got the vapor barrier up and started the framing.. I started the framing last night and worked for about 4 hours.. Not too bad I guess.. It's hard though w/o help.. When Lit came over things really started to move having 2 sets of hands.. But now he's working on a yard project and I am back to my own two hands and going at a snails pace now..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01945.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01951.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01946.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01952.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01953.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Achillies/DSC01954.jpg

CobraSnake
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
wow keep it going. i'll definately give you hand next week if you want. I believe i'm off on monday.

Mark

jbiscuit
06-19-2008, 02:15 PM
looks good so far!

Yooformula
06-19-2008, 02:37 PM
give me a call whenever you need a hand.

Karps TA
06-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Looks like good start . When I did mine I had a great satisfaction of doing it myself. Also lost quite a bit of weight. Swinging a hammer works up a good sweat.

awsomeears
06-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Like I mentioned to you, once you get all of the studs up I can install my heat runs and cold air returns the correct way.

PM me !!!