PDA

View Full Version : How many.....

STANMAN
06-11-2008, 08:04 PM
DUI's does it take to go to club fed now? I thought I read an article recently that on the 3rd one it's mandatory ass-rape jail now? I remember back in the day people would be like on their 5th one and still hadn't spent a day in "real" jail. Not being a drinker, I support the 3 strikes and real jail time. It seems club fed makes people change their habits, as most people that come out are never in a big hurry to go back in it seems. Even the "tough" guys, because no matter what, in club fed, there's always SOMEONE tougher, who cares even less about when they are getting out, if ever:rolf

So, I know WI is the drinking state, but how do others feel? When should people get "real" jail time for DUI? I think even the 2nd one might be a good idea. I mean ever seem to notice that the drunk NEVER seems to get hurt in the accident? I mean they will plow into a bus, kill a bunch of war veterans or grandma's going to play bingo, or kids. Then you see the pic of their car and it looks like no-one could have walked out of the car alive, but the drunk driver is fine.

I think my view may be jaded, as I don't drink, never have. I think it's a control thing, as I can not tolerate not being in control of myself, and :alcoholic makes people lose even that level of control. And it's not that I don't like to have a good time, because trust me, the designated driver can have LOTS of fun on any given night:devil Thoughts??

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-11-2008, 08:20 PM
0, DUI is not a federal crime.

RanJer
06-11-2008, 08:26 PM
0, DUI is not a federal crime.
QFT,

Also, there is the ability to do "real jail time" for your 2nd and up. It's all up to the judge. 2nd one carries a possibility of 9 months in jail. 3rd is up to 18 months. 4th up to 2 years I believe. It's the judges that do the sentencing and decide how much time the person will sit. Not the laws. In some counties people will sit 6-9 months for their 2nd OWI (Ozaukee is real hard on them) but in some counties (Milwaukee) they'll sit 10-45 days for the 2nd.

It's when they hit 5 that it becomes a felony and they go to prison, not jail. And everyone after that carries a whole bunch of time considering it's a Class H felony.

In a lot of states, 3 begins the felony and prison time. That's what people are pushing for in WI now as well.

STANMAN
06-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I thought it was 3 and felony (that's what I ment by real jail and club fed:rolf). Having never been arrested or given anything more than a traffic citation, I am far from an expert on our local or federal prison structure, lol.

BoosTT
06-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Well, there really were no drunk drving laws untill the late 80's. It's sad, but it takes time for people to change lifestyles.
I know a guy who worked for miller his entire life, even when they were allowed to drink as much as they wanted while working for free. He has something like 8 dui's. I think he has finally quit drinking.
I also know a guy who both his wife and mother were killed by drunk drivers. He is nearly 50 years old and doesen't encurage or discurage drinking and driving (unless ofcourse your way over the limit).

IMO, the right steps are being taken. Every few years increase the fine/jail time to make the point... but again, it takes time for change. Ever watch the show "jail"? Our jails are filling 800% faster then other countrys, due to crimes like DUI, minor drugs, ect. How would the tavern legue surive with a 0% law? I like the idea of a different licence plate for convicted drunk drivers (ie: yellow), some states do it (Ohio). Makes you look like a dumbass if you drive drunk.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Well in alot of cases sitting in the county jail is far worse than actual prison, far fewer "freedoms" in county jail, RACINE COUNTY anyway I heard HOC was much gravier, I have not been in the pokey in ten years when I served 9 months for a second DUI among other trumped up charges.
I dont want the special plates and I no longer drink.

I hate drunk drivers and the carnage they create, drunk driving is illegal I think that is about as much as we can do to discourage it. :confused
Maybe the gubmint can mandate that we all blow into a straw before automobiles will start or get those alcohol sensing steering wheels toyota developed. Then the drunks cen get some sober slimeball to fire up their cars for them at bar close and driving glove sales will increase.

RanJer
06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I like the idea of a different licence plate for convicted drunk drivers (ie: yellow), some states do it (Ohio). Makes you look like a dumbass if you drive drunk.
Yeah but that can only work so far considering all you have to do is register your vehicle in your wife or parents name and poof, no more different plates.

Well in alot of cases sitting in the county jail is far worse than actual prison, far fewer "freedoms" in county jail, RACINE COUNTY anyway I heard HOC was much gravier, I have not been in the pokey in ten years when I served 9 months for a second DUI among other trumped up charges.

Unfortunately I've spent some time recently in county jail and in a state institution (technically not prison but close enough). From the people I've met in those places and what not, WI prison's are a cake walk. Everyone that has been to prison told me that they'd much rather be in prison than sit in a county lock up. Prison's you're outside, you can order all sorts of food, get your own tv, i.e. Jail you're stuck with ramen noodles, never see sun, and a much more aggressive atmosphere. I've never been to HOC but I'm told it's basically a dorm setting with little or no authority interaction.

I agree drunk driving laws should be changed and everything. Especially, but not just, because of instances such as the 2 people killed right around Christmas and the guy didn't even realize he hit people. Really not sure what can or should be done to make things happen. In reality it comes down to just like everything else. Responsibility.

GRAMPS SS
06-11-2008, 09:11 PM
lets get real...the tv even had it on the news here,....Wisconsin is one of the MOST lenient states when it comes to drunk drivers...they had a guy on the news that had nine...count them nine.DUI'S..and not a thing was or has been done to him....so if anyone here thinks that jail time is going to be given out or prison time for drunk driving...your in a dream world...unless the drunk driver killed someone...other wise...after court..you can prob catch the guy in the bar having a few getting ready to drive again.....so what does it take?????????

MADD has tried for years to get tougher laws for drunk drivers...but it hasn't happened yet...or do i see it coming soon....this state has to do it..it's getting out of control...i pick up the local paper and all i read is drunk driver stopped for driving under the influence....this state has to nut up and get tougher laws on record.

I use to drink...and didn't remember driving home half the time...stopped drinking in 1990...i mean by that is stopped drinking in access....i have a beer at dinner if we go out...but the wife will drive home...call me a wuss for having ONE beer and having the wife drive...tuff shit.....but i know i won't be getting pulled over or drinking and driving.....JMO

RanJer
06-11-2008, 09:16 PM
lets get real...the tv even had it on the news here,....Wisconsin is one of the MOST lenient states when it comes to drunk drivers...they had a guy on the news that had nine...count them nine.DUI'S..and not a thing was or has been done to him....so if anyone here thinks that jail time is going to be given out or prison time for drunk driving...your in a dream world...unless the drunk driver killed someone...other wise...after court..you can prob catch the guy in the bar having a few getting ready to drive again.....so what does it take?????????

Granted yes, WI is one of the most lenient states on OWI's but I've been in jail with guys getting sentenced for the 2nd, 3rd and more OWI's and they came back with months to years depending what number they are on. A lot of it varies by county but the day I was "re-sentenced" for my withheld probation sentence I watched a guy with his 5th get 3 1/2 years in prison and 5 1/2 years probation to do after the prison time. Things are getting done. Just slowly and differently county to county..

GRAMPS SS
06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
sure other counties are tuff...but look at milwaukee county,....the court is back logged as it is...if someone goes to milwaukee for a dui....they have no more room at the inn....so to speak...so off they go with a fine and a spike in there car insurence ...if they have any....

05caddyext
06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Problem is that the judge has all the power. And even if you are sentenced to a longer jail sentence, you rarely ever spend that amount of time in there. You can get huber in most cases, and you also get a heavily reduced sentence for good behavior in jail. Some cities in WI don't even report drunk driving to CCAP, a site that a lot of employers go to, to check on new hires. My friend got a dui in Fort Atkinson and all he got was a slap on the wrist. They even had 2 different levels of "intoxication" if you were over a certain limit, you got more of a fine. He didn't even have to get sr-22 insurance when we went to the dmv to get his occupational. Some cities view this as a revenue booster, there is no real deterent for driving drunk in WI.

GRAMPS SS
06-11-2008, 09:29 PM
as stated above.............that's what you have to get around....

How would the tavern league survive with a 0% law?

RanJer
06-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Problem is that the judge has all the power. And even if you are sentenced to a longer jail sentence, you rarely ever spend that amount of time in there. You can get huber in most cases, and you also get a heavily reduced sentence for good behavior in jail. Some cities in WI don't even report drunk driving to CCAP, a site that a lot of employers go to, to check on new hires. My friend got a dui in Fort Atkinson and all he got was a slap on the wrist. They even had 2 different levels of "intoxication" if you were over a certain limit, you got more of a fine. He didn't even have to get sr-22 insurance when we went to the dmv to get his occupational. Some cities view this as a revenue booster, there is no real deterent for driving drunk in WI.

Everything under 5 yeah a lot of guys get huber.. whether its 12 months huber or not.. its still huber. You're sentence isn't "heavily reduced" by good behavior. In WI, you do 3/4 of your sentence for JAIL time. The other 1/4 is held over your head as "good time" that can be taken away when you F up or do anything wrong. If it's a municipality that issues the OWI, it won't show up on CCAP. And there's waaaaay more than 2 levels of intoxication and punishment based on your BAC. I believe every .04 you go up the punishments can change. In the end though, yes, way too much of it is left up to the judge.

That_Guy
06-11-2008, 09:33 PM
i reported a drunk driver a few weeks back im going to be compensated for my time and the dude is going to jail. it was his 4th strike... he almost ran me off the road. to be honest with you if he rotted in jail till he died i wouldnt feel bad at all. its one thing to get nasty drunk its another thing to take it to the road and endanger peoples wellbeing

Heat Seeker WS6
06-11-2008, 09:58 PM
This is Milwaukee- supposed home of BEER afterall, there's got to be at least ONE drunk that can chime in?

STANMAN
06-11-2008, 10:01 PM
as stated above.............that's what you have to get around....

How would the tavern league survive with a 0% law?

I have been on tavern softball leagues before, I don't drink. You don't have to drink to play softball last time I checked:rolf

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
06-11-2008, 10:02 PM
From getting a OWI 1.5 years ago, I feel that Wisconsin is to nice to offenders. $1200+ for just the 1st offence is enough for me. I only have 1 drink if I feel up to it and have the wife drive home. Never doing that again.

GRAMPS SS
06-11-2008, 10:05 PM
I have been on tavern softball leagues before, I don't drink. You don't have to drink to play softball last time I checked:rolf

wrong tavern leauge santa :chair:

GRAMPS SS
06-11-2008, 10:10 PM
wow...i can't belive this topic has brought so many to this thread...no smart a$$ remarks...everyone has said some good things to think about....:thumbsup

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Ah binge drinking and blackouts how I miss those days.:flipoff2:

WickedSix
06-11-2008, 10:27 PM
No one would openly admit to driving so far gone they couldn't focus on the rearview mirror to save their life ;) I think if someone had that experience it would be sobering the next day knowing what you had done the previous night to get home.

But bartenders here are funny and tend to serve people far past their expiration... hard to hold a drunk responsible when they don't have a concept of their actions at the time. When I drink I ride with someone and we have an understanding if one is goin hard the other backs off and makes sure to get the other home. More common sense than ne thing....but common sense isn't common ne more

CannotPost
06-12-2008, 08:01 AM

Thats a joke right?? If not the "Tavern League" is a bar owners association. The Tavern League in Milwaukee has some pretty big pull, think "No Smoking". Happening everywhere, except Milwaukee! Thanks Tavern League! :headbang:thumbsup

When I drink I ride with someone and we have an understanding if one is goin hard the other backs off and makes sure to get the other home. More common sense than ne thing....but common sense isn't common ne more

I think most Alcholicics, don't go get drunk with friends.... your 3rd 4th and 5th time offenders in Wisconsin are people that are loaded like 90% of the time.

GRAMPS SS
06-12-2008, 05:32 PM
34rd ,4th and 5th time drunk drivers are loaded 90% of the time...how do they survive and hold a job......you figure by the 4th time maybe they would of tried AA or something.....but there life depends on alcohol in there system..so they feel they don't have a problem....or am i wrong with my thought....???????

STANMAN
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Thats a joke right?? If not the "Tavern League" is a bar owners association. The Tavern League in Milwaukee has some pretty big pull, think "No Smoking". Happening everywhere, except Milwaukee! Thanks Tavern League! :headbang:thumbsup

I think most Alcholicics, don't go get drunk with friends.... your 3rd 4th and 5th time offenders in Wisconsin are people that are loaded like 90% of the time.

:rolf=joking