PDA

View Full Version : loud knock when i hit bumps

GRAMPS SS
06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
the Mountaineer has a weird loud know when i'm on bumpy roads...i've had the front end looked at and they say everything is tight.and brand new,.....the owner before me had the front rack replaced as well and the torsion bars and upper and lower ball joints....the sound when the window are up sounds like the front...but i feel under my seat and then to me sounds like it's coming from the back.....it's bugging the hell out of me...but when i'm on the freeway...smooth as silk...not a pop out of it....just when i'm on most city streets....

any ideas....????????????

nismodave
06-10-2008, 10:52 PM
A thread not in Da Funnyz??

WickedSix
06-10-2008, 10:52 PM
sure it isn't your head hitting the ceiling?

LIZMO
06-11-2008, 12:58 AM
^^^ i LOLed at that one.

sorry wayne :-/

Car Guy
06-11-2008, 01:40 AM
If you're in the area of Howell & Layton stop by and I'll take it for a ride, plenty of sh!tty roads around here to 'test' it on :rolleyes: . My number is 414-559-3003 and I'm around most all of the time, just call first to give me some heads up.....:thumbsup

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

forest
06-11-2008, 07:16 AM
rear sway bar links.

wrath
06-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Low speed or high speed? I've noticed a lot of vehicles in the last ten years have had shock bushings go bad and it makes a peculiar clunk at certain speeds.

GRAMPS SS
06-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Low speed or high speed? I've noticed a lot of vehicles in the last ten years have had shock bushings go bad and it makes a peculiar clunk at certain speeds.

does it when i'm on roads at any speed when the roads are crap....today they went over the back of the truck.......said everything is ok....

just pisses me off.....and when you take a client to lunch and you drive...and they can hear it...i just say...beats me what it is...

justin...i'll swing by...don't know when......but i'll stop down one day........

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Torsion bar insulator pads are gone, the torsion bar tensioner/insulators are built into the transmission cross member right below your seat, not quite the front, not quite the back.

170k on my 99 V8, I need the insulators also.

GRAMPS SS
06-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Torsion bar insulator pads are gone, the torsion bar tensioner/insulators are built into the transmission cross member right below your seat, not quite the front, not quite the back.

you might just be right....but..the torsion bars were replaced in 06...but that was 2 years ago.....any idea on how much they are and how hard to put in...we have a hoist

and it's just my side that make the noise...you swear it's from the from the front...but then again you think it's the rear...i'll have to investigate....thanks...

GRAMPS SS
06-12-2008, 08:10 PM

is this a pretty comon problem with these suvs's.....what other great things are going to come my way....i heard they also have bad head gaskets in the v8's.....

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-12-2008, 10:01 PM
The insulators and ball joints are the most common thing to have problems.
5.0 engine is solid as a rock and had some of the best stock 5.0 parts ever used, in of all things an SUV.

I too would think the parts were replaced when they replaced the torsion bars 2 years ago but who knows, sounds like the problem and Ford has an updated better engineered kevlar insulator available for about $ 20

GRAMPS SS
06-12-2008, 10:29 PM
thanks for the info...will check into that poss prob tomorrow or sat...and if that is the prob...i'm sure i'll get the kevlar insulator

thanks....