PDA

View Full Version : Near death experience.

05caddyext
06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
While some of you may think "good I hate that F$cker," my friend and I almost died today. And yeah, it was our fault "sorta."

My friend asked me this morning if I wanted to go canoeing so I said sure, where do you want to go. Well we decided to go out on the lake in Palmyra, not sure what its called, I think Lower Spring lake or something like that. So we get the canoe in the water and its really windy so we decide to go towards where the beach is, looked a lot calmer there. Well, little did we know they opened up the dam over the weekend, there are 3 on the lake. The dam that blocks the river that feeds the lake broke, so the lake was really full. To fix this they had to open up the dam that drains the lake.

So here is the short version. Pics to come later. We are paddling as hard as we can towards the calm water and we notice we are hardly moving. Should have turned around, but decided to just go closer to shore. We then got caught in the current of the water rushing out of the lake and got pulled very quickly towards the dam. We both got a little nervous, tried to remain calm.

The dam has 3 sections like this I x I x I x I. The x's represent big concrete slabs that close the dam. The first 2 starting from the left were closed, the third one was wide open. We could see through the 3rd one and we could see a "waterfall" and raging river through the hole, so we obviously tried to get the F out of there.

Thought we were going to get lucky, the canoe got stuck on the dam and we werent moving at all, current was amazingly strong. Then out of nowhere, the canoe started to turn around and head towards the opening so I grabbed onto the dam to stop us. It took all my strength to hold us there, but it became futile. My friend was in the front, I was in the back. The canoe tipped and some water came in so I stood up and grabbed the top of the dam with my right arm, I could barely reach it. At that moment my friend tried to get out of the canoe, we could touch the bottom, was maybe 3 feet deep. As he started to get out the whole canoe sank in an instant. I jumped and got a hold of the top of the dam with my other hand, my legs were in the water almost up to my knees. I saw him standing, and a second later he got sucked down and disappeared under the dam.

I freaked out. I literraly could feel my heart nearly pound of my chest. It took all my strength, (I lift weights 5 days a week) to get out of the water and on top of the dam. Without even thinking I ran across hwy 59, almost got hit by a car. I went to the other side of the road and saw the worst raging river ive ever seen in my life. I froze for a second, looked down river and saw nothing but carnage. The shore was washed out, and several huge trees were down.

I then ran down the bank hoping to see my friend, I saw nothing. I didn't know what to do so I just scanned the river and I see the CANOE! Its wedged against the shore, hung up on a tree. The canoe is a 14ft aluminum boat, maybe 4 feet of it was out the water. I then see a life jacket, neither of us were wearing it, we were sitting on them. Dumbasses. Im thinking hes here somewhere I know it, the water is moving way to fast hes gotta be here. I look across the river, and hes hanging on the underside of a huge fallen tree. He was able to pull himself up and crawl across the tree to the bank. I asked him if he was ok, perfectly fine just a lot of scratches, me as well. We just stood there in shock and then he finally said "thats how people die" Then we discussed what happened to each other, the chain of events.

6 hours later with the help of my dad we were able to pull the canoe out of the river. Both of our hiking backpacks were still strapped inside. We found the cooler down the river a little ways, the only thing we lost were the paddles. Both life jackets were caught in a tree, recovered those as well.

The canoe is a total loss, its bent and the entire back of it is nearly ripped clean off. He said the only thing that saved him was quick thinking. The canoe and him went under the dam and he said somehow he was able to roll halfway into it before it went off the waterfall. Then just out of pure luck he was able to cling onto a tree.

I have no doubt in my mind that if I saw him in the water I would have jumped in and we would both be dead. They always say never jump in, its so much more dangerous. I wasn't even thinking, I just ran across the road and looked for him. I have never been so more scared/full of adrenaline in my life.

Ill post some pics of the river later, he took some with his camera when we went back with a pickup to pull the canoe out. I don't think I will ever go on a lake again, at least not for a very long time. We are so lucky I can't even believe it happened yet.

Z28Envy
06-10-2008, 08:40 PM
WOW!! That's petty crazy. Glad you and your friend are ok.

HITMAN
06-10-2008, 08:43 PM
At first I thought you were going to say that you were the guys Belling was talking about on his show today. Apparently, some Bozos tried canoing down the Milwaukee river up in Ozaukee county yesterday and almost bought the farm.

BTW, glad you and your buddy are OK.

Reverend Cooper
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
the milwaukee river up in west bend is hogher and moving at a whitewater pace,i have never seen it this high ever,if you go in it now and get hurt or die i will have a hard time feeling sorry for you ass

STANMAN
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
This is going to be so dik of me, but I can't help myself after your post about our little experiance in the Dells:

I wish there was a warden there to give you littering tickets, as your busted ass canoe and various other items were littering our pristine waterways.

Ok, now that a taste of your own stupidness has been applied, glad you, and especially your friend, (who sounds like the luckiest fvcker on the planet BTW, he should buy a lottery ticket NOW) are OK. There's no way you could get me anywhere near ANY body of water right about now, I mean whole LAKES are just "going away":wow

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
At first I thought you were going to say that you were the guys Belling was talking about on his show today. Apparently, some Bozos tried canoing down the Milwaukee river up in Ozaukee county yesterday and almost bought the farm.

Same here. :thumbsup

05caddyext
06-10-2008, 10:01 PM
The lady that lives at the house that borders the river told us that the river is usally only about 6 inches deep through there, and about 3 feet across. Right now, its at least 50 feet across and over our heads deep.

This is going to be so dik of me, but I can't help myself after your post about our little experiance in the Dells:

I wish there was a warden there to give you littering tickets, as your busted ass canoe and various other items were littering our pristine waterways.

The only thing that we didnt recover from the river were the paddles. We got the canoe out, the cooler was washed up on shore down river, still locked closed. We also got both life jackets out, and our backpacks were still strapped to the canoe.

I told him on the phone before we went that it probably wasn't a good idea to go on a lake right now, all kinds of weird weather stuff happening lately that has never happened before. Also, that dam is never open. The dam that controls the water going into the lake broke sometime last night or early this morning according to the lady that lives there. They opened the dam this morning. I think the should have had some warning pilons or something by the dam saying not to go near it. Or better yet, the public boat launch where we put the canoe in should have been closed. If it had been, we wouldn't have gone on the lake. And that should have been some kind of warning posted on the information board by the lake, which we always read first. Nothing was stated at all about the dam being open.

The only way to have avoided this was to not go on the lake. You could have been superman and not been able to paddle away from that current. We were at least 100 yards away from the dam and we literally couldn't paddle hard enough to get away, it sucked us right in. Oh well, LIVE and learn. I won't be going on a lake for a very long time.

STANMAN
06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
The lady that lives at the house that borders the river told us that the river is usally only about 6 inches deep through there, and about 3 feet across. Right now, its at least 50 feet across and over our heads deep.

The only thing that we didnt recover from the river were the paddles. We got the canoe out, the cooler was washed up on shore down river, still locked closed. We also got both life jackets out, and our backpacks were still strapped to the canoe.

I told him on the phone before we went that it probably wasn't a good idea to go on a lake right now, all kinds of weird weather stuff happening lately that has never happened before. Also, that dam is never open. The dam that controls the water going into the lake broke sometime last night or early this morning according to the lady that lives there. They opened the dam this morning. I think the should have had some warning pilons or something by the dam saying not to go near it. Or better yet, the public boat launch where we put the canoe in should have been closed. If it had been, we wouldn't have gone on the lake. And that should have been some kind of warning posted on the information board by the lake, which we always read first. Nothing was stated at all about the dam being open.

The only way to have avoided this was to not go on the lake. You could have been superman and not been able to paddle away from that current. We were at least 100 yards away from the dam and we literally couldn't paddle hard enough to get away, it sucked us right in. Oh well, LIVE and learn. I won't be going on a lake for a very long time.

See, you should still be cited then, and don't try to justify it, YOU BROKE THE LAW, and all lawbreakers deserve TICKETS remember??????!!!!

05caddyext
06-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Thats perfectly fine. I actually wish there had been a warden there. They could see how dangerous the area is right now. I would gladly pay a citation for littering after what happened, its only money.

michelle
06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Glad both you and your friend are okay! Sounds like a very scary experience!

Firefighter Z
06-10-2008, 10:17 PM
mmmmm....yeah.... 2+2 must = 5

u_say_go
06-10-2008, 10:21 PM
just a quick question...........HAVE YOU WATCHED THE NEWS, OR READ A NEWSPAPER LATELY!?

not sure what you were thinking by hopping in a canoe, on any body of water, since the storms hit!

scaleracer
06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Glad you and your friend are okay!

Poncho
06-11-2008, 06:37 AM
the milwaukee river up in west bend is hogher and moving at a whitewater pace,i have never seen it this high ever,if you go in it now and get hurt or die i will have a hard time feeling sorry for you ass

We looked that that last night COMPLETELY INSANE.

To the OP, you're an idiot, good job.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-11-2008, 10:24 AM
whats next?

hang gliding into a tornado, playing frisbee toss on the highway, playing golf during a lightning storm?

i am glad nobody got hurt, but jeez :rolleyes:

SmokinRAM114
06-11-2008, 10:59 AM
damn! i was just thinking how fun it would be rage a paddle boat down the fox or a couple jet skis. im not going over any god damns any time soon though. whoa

Silver03SRT
06-11-2008, 01:26 PM
See, you should still be cited then, and don't try to justify it, YOU BROKE THE LAW, and all lawbreakers deserve TICKETS remember??????!!!!

So every time you speed you deserve a ticket every time you drive home from the bar and are over .08 you deserve a dui. so you are telling me that if I get into an accident with my car and something falls out of my car i should get a ticket for littering.

STANMAN
06-11-2008, 02:40 PM
So every time you speed you deserve a ticket every time you drive home from the bar and are over .08 you deserve a dui. so you are telling me that if I get into an accident with my car and something falls out of my car i should get a ticket for littering.

According to 05caddyext, yes. See his view on the law here:

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28008

05caddyext
06-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Here are the pics of the dam. I took these today, the water has "slowed" down quite a bit, still very fast moving. It looks like they closed another barrier of the dam, the water has gone down about 5 feet on the other side where it was really bad. Alot of the shore is gone, and huge trees have fallen even further off the shore into the river.

Entry side (where we got sucked in)

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/1032/dsc00388ag4.jpg

Where I grabbed on and pulled myself up

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/549/dsc00385xp2.jpg

The road that he went under

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5848/dsc00409qk1.jpg

What I saw when I ran across the road

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9009/dsc00382gv6.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/7526/dsc00408qb1.jpg

The tree I saw him clinging for life under when I got down to the other side
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2867/dsc00389af6.jpg

Where the canoe got wedged against the shore

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/3759/dsc00390iy5.jpg

Where he came out and went off of (I still can't believe he didnt get hurt)

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4106/dsc00394rt5.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6291/dsc00406tc8.jpg

The canoe

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8695/dsc00410xp9.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4812/dsc00411rd6.jpg

lordairgtar
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM
about 60 cents a pound for that canoe.

Reverend Cooper
06-11-2008, 10:21 PM
you do realize that you both probably need some type of shots from all that shiat infested water right

H8RADE
06-11-2008, 10:46 PM
you do realize that you both probably need some type of shots from all that shiat infested water right

x3.14
I am even leery of tap water right now.
:(