PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Rental / Digging a Hole (NEED ADVICE)

Car Guy
06-10-2008, 05:40 PM
LONG STORY SHORT: I need to dig a hole but not just any hole, it's RIGHT next to a building and is 4' x 6' and 10 feet deep in size. What makes it not just 'any' hole is the fact that it's right next to a building and in a corner with concrete pavement all around it at ground level. The concrete is long gone to make way for just the hole but going straight down through HARD ground/clay is NOT fun, especially by hand.....

I was thinking about an air compressor with an air shovel just to at least break it up (because that's the hardest part), then continue with the hand shovels to get it up and out. To me that would be the most effective way to get the job done without spending a fortune on renting something like a small backhoe or similar.....

If you have any other ideas please chime in, or if you have/know of where to get an air compressor with an air shovel please let me know. I'm RIGHT by the airport but would be willing to travel a somewhat short distance to get one......

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Too bad United Rentals abandon their location on Howell, as they would probably have this http://usediron.point2.com/Photo/Equipment/523601-1-M.jpg
for rent, meh where ever they are I am sure they will drop it off for you. :thumbsup
I would need to rent the damn thing for that size hole, otherwise thats going to be some heavy shovel operator work. :rolf

Local Rent-All's for the compressor and air shovel, they will know what size compressor you need to run the spade, I'm guessing the compressor is a big'en.

What is the hole for anyway ?

Car Guy
06-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Need to get down far enough in order to run duct work out of a building.....

BadAzzGTA89
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Small backhoe there might be bolders and is just easier with a backhoe IMO I dug many deep holes in my day;)

nismodave
06-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Its going to be cheaper to sub it out to someone IMO.

Car Guy
06-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Its going to be cheaper to sub it out to someone IMO.

Well if we had time to wait it would be......

nismodave
06-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Well if we had time to wait it would be......

Id be willing to bet you could have it done by THU if u called some places tommorow.

Lash
06-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Rent a Kubota....and air shovel is gonna suck. With a kubota....you can dig it up...then lay the base gravel and backfill it with the final gravel (it's code for underground duct....some even require a concrete base).

First time doing underground ductwork? How big is this stuff?

10' deep might require shoring so that you don't die.....especially with all the rain lately. Either that or you gotta 'step' the hole and make it wider.

Rocket Power
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
10' deep might require shoring so that you don't die.....especially with all the rain lately. That's what I was thinking. How ever you do it. Keep safe:thumbsup

wikked
06-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Bobcat with an auger?

http://www.495rental.com/images/bobcat_auger5.jpg