06-10-2008, 02:33 PM
http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/weather/bigpic.jsp?cap=weather&id=23

Car Guy
06-10-2008, 02:38 PM
I was waiting for a photo like that to surface, simply amazing.....:wooo

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Knyghtmare
06-10-2008, 02:40 PM
They could have made the pics a little smaller, I almost cant see them.

fly5150
06-10-2008, 02:45 PM
here is a bigger version of it

http://newshopper.sulekha.com/photos/slideshow/39630.htm

CobraSnake
06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't see anything???

Flicktitty
06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
thats ****** unreal!

TraceDaddy
06-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Very lucky no one was on the road when it gave way.

Nick
06-11-2008, 09:28 AM
I ******* hate websites that change the page you go to automatically to one GIANT ******* AD!

boostaddict14
06-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Wow that is rediculous

07ROUSHSTG3
06-11-2008, 10:35 AM
now our tax dollars are going to go to rebuild a man made lake. wtf? i feel for those business that are going to suffer, but does the government help out resorts in northern wisconsin when there is no snow??? i say that if the dells area wants lake delton back, they should have to pay for it.

Syclone0044
06-11-2008, 12:31 PM
now our tax dollars are going to go to rebuild a man made lake. wtf? i feel for those business that are going to suffer, but does the government help out resorts in northern wisconsin when there is no snow??? i say that if the dells area wants lake delton back, they should have to pay for it.

I agree!! What criteria does the governor use to determine whether someone gets assistance or not?

PonyKiller87
06-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Did one of the news stations say the gov is paying to fix it? I might of missed that, but I thought that Lake Delton was more like a private lake because it was man made?

Side note, I was talking to my dad when he got back from up there and he found out from some locals that 10-20 years ago they opened the damn and drained the lake purposely so they could clean it or something? Obviouly they did it slower though so it didnt wipe out any roads or houses.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Did one of the news stations say the gov is paying to fix it? I might of missed that, but I thought that Lake Delton was more like a private lake because it was man made?

Side note, I was talking to my dad when he got back from up there and he found out from some locals that 10-20 years ago they opened the damn and drained the lake purposely so they could clean it or something? Obviouly they did it slower though so it didnt wipe out any roads or houses.

i heard on the news that our good old gov had the national guard team of engineers already there and figuring out how to recreate the lake :rolleyes:

i say again. if they want to live on a lake and run a town off of a lake, imo THEY SHOULD PAY FOR THE LAKE!!

easytoremember
06-11-2008, 07:44 PM
well what about the guy whos house is gone? It's on a flood plane so no insurance company would have touched that I bet. so what's he going to do? he still owns the land, or lack of....

u_say_go
06-11-2008, 07:47 PM
i heard on the news that our good old gov had the national guard team of engineers already there and figuring out how to recreate the lake :rolleyes:

i say again. if they want to live on a lake and run a town off of a lake, imo THEY SHOULD PAY FOR THE LAKE!!

they do pay for the lake...it's called MONSTER property taxes. You guys are missing the point; lake delton is a HUGE revenue generator, not only for the business owners, but for the city and state. If the state says screw you, we're not helping you rebuild the lake, the tourists stop coming..when the tourists stop coming the money stops coming too. What happens then? Gov. DUHolye jacks up YOUR property taxes to get his money.

u_say_go
06-11-2008, 07:58 PM
well what about the guy whos house is gone? It's on a flood plane so no insurance company would have touched that I bet. so what's he going to do? he still owns the land, or lack of....
the house was not on a flood plane and his insurance company told him he didnt need flood insurance. BUT, the house wasnt damaged due to a flood, it was damaged, or washed away, due to ground erosion then fell into the lake and washed away. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I say to the insurance company "pay up sucker".

kornholio788
06-11-2008, 08:06 PM
From what I heard that house is like brand new. And they had not gotten insurance on it at all yet. SO it is a complete loss. Is this true or not I am not sure. But that is what I heard.

That_Guy
06-11-2008, 08:12 PM

uh.. the lake was build by the state.. so yeah.. your statement is completely idiotic.

That_Guy
06-11-2008, 08:13 PM
From what I heard that house is like brand new. And they had not gotten insurance on it at all yet. SO it is a complete loss. Is this true or not I am not sure. But that is what I heard.

they didnt have insurance because fema and the town couldnt come to an agreement

05caddyext
06-11-2008, 08:20 PM
they didnt have insurance because fema and the town couldnt come to an agreement

That is the story I heard on the news in Madison. The city council and fema could not come to an agreement and the insurance coverage lapsed. Also, with there being no agreement on whether or not the area was deemed a "flood plane," the home owners were not allowed to purchase flood insurance. What a nightmare, either way it will get worked out somehow, those people will not be left high and dry (no pun intended.)

The lake was drained several years ago to clean it out yes, but that time it was obviously drained through the dam. The dam is still there, untouched. The water went up and around the dam, eroding the land away on the side of the dam. What I am surprised about is the fact that they are already set on not refilling the lake this year. Hell, we built the Panama Canal, you'd think we could have that lake plugged up pretty quick. The Army Corp of engineers is there surveying the are to see what needs to be done to shore up the land that was eroded. That needs to be replaced first, or the dam needs to be raised to accomodate the new "shore line."

u_say_go
06-11-2008, 10:09 PM
this was from a Madison newspaper.
The property owners who had their homes destroyed as Lake Delton emptied this week aren't covered by national flood insurance. The village suspended its participation in the insurance program years ago.

The homes would have been covered by the National Flood Insurance program since 1975, but the village didn't adopt a new floodplain map. The village lost its floodplain designation by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and its eligibility to participate in the National Flood Insurance program.

Lake Delton's Police Chief Thomas Dorner and the city engineer say the village had a problem with FEMA's expansion of Lake Delton's flood zone, which can make building much more costly.

Torrential rain and widespread flooding caused the 245-acre lake to flow over its banks Monday, emptying the lake and washing away homes. The lake drained into the Wisconsin River, essentially emptying it.

07ROUSHSTG3
06-12-2008, 07:43 AM
nobody on lake delton had flood insurance. the city wouldn't allow "national flood insurance" to cover its occupants because the area would have had to be considered a flood plain, and that would have caused the cost of building to go up.

this according to the news last night. that sucks for them.

That_Guy
06-12-2008, 08:03 AM
nobody on lake delton had flood insurance. the city wouldn't allow "national flood insurance" to cover its occupants because the area would have had to be considered a flood plain, and that would have caused the cost of building to go up.

this according to the news last night. that sucks for them.

i smell lawsuit