PDA

View Full Version : You hear about the lake up in the Dells?

Karps TA
06-09-2008, 02:15 PM
From JSonline: :wow

Lake Delton near the Dells is essentially empty after the rain-swollen lake cut its own channel around a dam and emptied into the Wisconsin River, taking four homes with it.

The lake is the home of the famed Tommy Bartlett Water Show. Tom Diehl, who operates the show and is a trustee for the Village of Lake Delton, said there was nothing but mud where the show is staged every day.

"We haven't had a show since Friday," Diehl said in a telephone interview. "We canceled Saturday and Sunday because of high water," he said. "Today, we're canceling because of no water."

Diehl estimated there were 10-15 resorts on Lake Delton. Those resorts will lose significant business, Diehl said.

On the scene where the lake used to be, Journal Sentinel photographer Joe Koshollek said it looks as if a plug had been pulled from a bathtub filled with water. The lake, which is where the popular amphibious Ducks travel, has been pretty much all drained.

"The lake is gone," Koshollek said. "I heard one girl say 'I'm out of a job' because she rents jet skis."

Boats are lying on their sides in the muck of the lake and piers lead out into what just a few hours ago was a large lake filled with water.

The Oloha Beach Resort on Lake Delton no longer has a beach for guests.

Sauk County emergency management director Jeff Jelinek said 4 homes were swept away with the escaping waters. Jelinek said that the dam on Lake Delton did not break when the lake breached about 10 a.m. near County Highway A and Dam Road.

There have been no injuries reported but emergency officials remain on the scene this afternoon.

"Up from the dam the lake just got so much pressure and so much water it went over the banks to the river and started making its own channel," Jelinek said. "As the water started exiting the lake, it made its own channel. It went across Highway A and as it got wider it took three homes with it."

He said the lake also washed out about 300 feet of Highway A, which may have grown since the initial breach.
Jelinek advised motorists to avoid travel along Highway A.

He said a shelter has been activated at Lake Delton Grade School in Lake Delton.

Asked when the water show would return, Diehl said: "The village will have to bring in some engineers to figure out how to put in pilings to secure the breach. And then we have to wait for the lake to fill up," Diehl said.

Diehl said all 150 of his employees were on duty working to clean up the mess.

"Last night you could have looked at our stage and the water was four feet above our stage. We have nothing but mud in front of us now. No water. Just mud," Diehl said.

"What happened is the lake had risen really quickly and found an outlet and started draining catastrophically," said Andrea Novotny, public relations representative with the Bartlett show. "The shoreline is down so far we are without a venue to perform on without water being there. That's where we are right now."

Novotny also represents the Original Wisconsin Ducks and Dells Boat Tours. She said as of noon today, all tours were cancelled on the Lower Dells due to the water conditions. They are still operating on the Upper Dells, she said.

Car Guy
06-09-2008, 02:19 PM
WOW, just WOW.....:eek:

Note to self: DON'T MESS WITH MOTHER NATURE, EVER...!!! :wooo

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

HY35F2T
06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
:pics

Flicktitty
06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
i saw that on the news at noon. ******* crazy stuff right there! i wonder if they will attempt to rebuild the lake (wasen't it man made?)

Karps TA
06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/23/23035_large.jpg

HY35F2T
06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
nice nice id run out there looking for treasure.:goof

Car Guy
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Simply an AMAZING sight to see, reminds me of when Muskego Lake was emptied.....:wow

Is it just me or is it ironic that we refer to 'nature' as a mother...??? Don't take this the wrong way ladies but I know when it's that 'time of the month' females can get CRAZY...!!! Maybe 'mother nature' only has that 'time' once every 100 years, because I don't think we'll see this much rain again for a VERY long time.....:banana1:

kornholio788
06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Oh. My. God.

That is absolutly crazy.

michelle
06-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Simply an AMAZING sight to see, reminds me of when Muskego Lake was emptied.....:wow

Is it just me or is it ironic that we refer to 'nature' as a mother...??? Don't take this the wrong way ladies but I know when it's that 'time of the month' females can get CRAZY...!!! Maybe 'mother nature' only has that 'time' once every 100 years, because I don't think we'll see this much rain again for a VERY long time.....:banana1:

Ashley and I will show you crazy at Culver's tonight. If you are man enough to show up, that is. :goof

Car Guy
06-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Ashley and I will show you crazy at Culver's tonight. If you are man enough to show up, that is. :goof

http://home.comcast.net/~xterraguy/VW-OhSnap.gif

Well now it's on like Donkey Kong.....:devil

scaleracer
06-09-2008, 02:43 PM
That's crazy! But kinda cool in a way!

Car Guy
06-09-2008, 02:45 PM
That's crazy! But kinda cool in a way!

Yeah because your house wasn't the one that got washed away.....:goof

Car Guy
06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Here's another picture I just got in an email, HOLY SH!T.....:wooo

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/June_08003.jpg

jbiscuit
06-09-2008, 02:50 PM
holy chit!

Flicktitty
06-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I was just up there last month (week after automation) and i thought to myself i wanna get back up here this summer and go on the ducks and what not.....looks like that will have to wait.

My parents were up there this weekend and said it was bad all weekend up there.

nismodave
06-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Nothing Sexier than keys hanging out of a back pocket.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/23/23035_large.jpg

jbiscuit
06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
this is going to have a HUGE impact on the tourism moola the Dells was planning on this summer. Not to mention the ecosystem. The Dells just became a real problem now I would think

Car Guy
06-09-2008, 03:02 PM
this is going to have a HUGE impact on the tourism moola the Dells was planning on this summer. Not to mention the ecosystem. The Dells just became a real problem now I would think

That's an understatement to say the least.....

That's because she's a little thick, but I'd still hit it keys or no keys.....:goof

Flicktitty
06-09-2008, 03:02 PM

i have a hunch she has more important things to worry about then how she looks. :rolf

Flicktitty
06-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Yes it did, that town is going down the train (no pun intended) for the next few years. i can't even imagine how long it will take to get back to the way it was.

Karps TA
06-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Well the Dells still has tacky in excess, so maybe they can try and spread some of it out more. Maybe paint the lake pink or something.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-09-2008, 03:11 PM
With a little bit of money it shouldn't take long at all to fix.

Cjburn
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Lake Delton, hmmm... many memories, became a man at one of the hotels on that lake in 1995, all I remember is that all the cottages were painted pink...

CarrotTop
06-09-2008, 03:38 PM
There is videos on msn of it. And on the news they should videos of the water just tearing apart the street and everything.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25020185/ (if it works)

CarrotTop
06-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Video link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25060983#25060983

Nick
06-09-2008, 03:40 PM
holy crap!

michelle
06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Wow!

PonyKiller87
06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I just talked to my dad a few hours ago, hes headed up there to check out his house which is in Lake Delton.

All in all this won't slow down the dells to much. It only really effects the stuff that was on that lake like Tommy Bartlet, ducks and those resorts. All of the water parks and Ho Chunk and most importantly Crusin Cubbys will continue to go on as normal.

Another thing, being that so many people rely on that lake to make money Im sure things will happen fast to repair and refill that lake.

Ricky Bobby
06-09-2008, 04:21 PM
thats gonna suck

dude were's my house i left it right here, damn mother nature is a real ***** this month

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Ah the former WTMJ newsbabe Contessa Brewer. :thumbsup
That floating away home is nuts. :punch:

Car Guy
06-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Ah the former WTMJ newsbabe Contessa Brewer. :thumbsup

I thought she looked familiar, and looking better than ever...!!! :drool:

Karps TA
06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
That's Contessa Brewer? Damn she's come a long way.

And I hope there weren't any pets in those houses.

SmokinRAM114
06-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Holy Faaawwwwk!!!

Car Guy
06-09-2008, 05:40 PM
And I hope there weren't any pets in those houses.

Yeah because cats don't like water.....:goof

Heat Seeker WS6
06-09-2008, 05:49 PM
easy solution- Turn the former lakebed into a racing complex! :headbang

That_Guy
06-09-2008, 07:19 PM
easy solution- Turn the former lakebed into a racing complex! :headbang

lol.... now that would be freakin cool...

07ROUSHSTG3
06-09-2008, 07:33 PM
i heard something about it toady while at work, but never imagined that it was that drastic!!

ND4SPD
06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
:rolleyes:It's Global Warming! Wwaaaaaaaaa... just like Algore said!

lilws6
06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
now we won't get any more rain cuz we need it to fill the lake lol

Reverend Cooper
06-09-2008, 08:24 PM
i will have some really good pictures of this for you all,a very good friend of mine was within sight when the ground broke free.

That_Guy
06-09-2008, 08:43 PM
unreal...

scaleracer
06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I just talked to my dad a few hours ago, hes headed up there to check out his house which is in Lake Delton.

All in all this won't slow down the dells to much. It only really effects the stuff that was on that lake like Tommy Bartlet, ducks and those resorts. All of the water parks and Ho Chunk and most importantly Crusin Cubbys will continue to go on as normal.

Another thing, being that so many people rely on that lake to make money Im sure things will happen fast to repair and refill that lake.

That's crazy! True they'll build it quick! Also it might help their buisness in the dells because of people going to check it out! :thumbsup

Nick
06-10-2008, 12:18 AM
If I wasn't going to be in chicago this weekend, i'd go out there and get a nice wide angle shot of the lake. Maybe the following weekend.

LIZMO
06-10-2008, 12:55 AM
i couldn't even imagine watching my house go down the drain like that.

Boost21
06-10-2008, 01:06 AM
I might have to make a road trip from chicago to check it out.

fivonut
06-10-2008, 11:46 AM
i couldn't even imagine watching my house go down the drain like that.

and if they don't have flood coverage, it's all gone.......

forest
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
nice nice id run out there looking for bodies.:wooo

fixed

Flicktitty
06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
and if they don't have flood coverage, it's all gone.......

true, but i heard Gov. Doyle, was talking about getting money for them because it is under "state of emergency" or something like that?

Feature Pony
06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Heck if I was those people I would want my taxes to go down, no more lake frontage

Flicktitty
06-10-2008, 02:16 PM
my parents heard they are going to try and have the lake fillled by July 4th! holy shit.

SmokinRAM114
06-10-2008, 02:19 PM
my parents heard they are going to try and have the lake fillled by July 4th! holy shit.

would not doubt it. with the river close by itll take a fe weeks but i see them pumping that beotch down a few feet

Car Guy
06-10-2008, 02:28 PM
As far as the insurance goes this is how I understand it.....

Many residents of Lake Delton (if not all) attempted to get 'flood' insurance but because of the way the lake was 'made' they were denied. Exactly why I don't know but I'm thinking it has to do with what happened this past weekend. If you look at the overhead view of the lake and the adjoining Wisconsin River you can see exactly where they damned it, and built up the rest to make the lake. If you also look at the news footage you can see that everything that got undermined was all a SAND-like material, definitely NOT clay or rock. If you've ever been a kid at a beach making sand castles/moats/rivers you know how it holds up.....

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/lake+delton:US/#a/maps/l:Lake+Delton::Wisconsin+Dells:WI::US:43.602202:-89.769013:address:/m:hyb:10:43.596518:-89.785202:0::/io:0:::::f:EN:M:/e

A friend of mine's parents live on that lake and might of had their home washed away, either way I am going to find out what the deal is. Granted the state is going to help but still a HUGE financial BS-fest to say the least.....

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Aint no doubt the gubmint is going to pay all these folks for their uninsured stuff.