PDA

View Full Version : Wnat keeps you in Wisconsin?

Todd Z
06-07-2008, 11:14 PM
After another day of Sh><ty weather, wasn't winter bad enough! Bad roads, high taxes (we moved out of the top ten states) big deal. I could go on and on. I stay in Wisconsin because of business and family but am thinking more about moving all the time. What keeps you here? To anybody under twenty five, get out NOW while it is still easy.

Crawlin
06-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Family.... I know what it's like to grow up 2000 miles from the rest of your family. It sucks to be the "outsider" when it comes to getting back to Philly to see grandparents and cousins. It is nice though to be the attention whore for the grandparents since they haven't seen me in a year. But it sucked, lately the only time I went back, is for a funeral of my grandparents.

pretty soon though, it's goodbye. Was going to be moving to either Boston, Washington State, or to USC in August, but some plans changed to delay that.

HAMRHEAD
06-07-2008, 11:26 PM
A stepdaughter and that is it!

HY35F2T
06-07-2008, 11:28 PM
ehh if i new ppl in another state i would other then family.

DynoTom
06-07-2008, 11:31 PM
My job and family...I swear if i got real rich somehow I would move my family and I out of this crummy azz state !

Sheet weather , high taxes and all the stupid sheet that happens around Milwaukee County....

Smokey1226
06-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Our fall/Spring are second to none IMO. But family/Business/great Friends

I think you guys need to pick new hobbies. The snowmobilers were the happiest i've ever seen them, snowplowers made huge $$$$ and can slack this summer beacause of it. Lots of great ways to make up for it....but then again if you're older than 25 and with a family it could be tough.

Heat Seeker WS6
06-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Family, friends and an awesome job keep me here or Id be gone.

Todd Z
06-07-2008, 11:35 PM

Jon,
I had to laugh, you have had more jobs than anybody I know. that's all

GRAMPS SS
06-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Friends and family....and in 4 years after sean is out of high school...who knows...

Heat Seeker WS6
06-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Jon,
I had to laugh, you have had more jobs than anybody I know. that's all

Yeah i think your right :thumbsup me too! this ones a keeper though :headbang

VroomPshhTsi
06-08-2008, 03:57 AM
packers, badgers.... brewers (jk) bucks (jk times 10).... but like everyone else, family and friends... honestly 7 months of the year it's nice

plus for all those with nice v8 summer cars, only having to insure/drive your summer car 6 months a year saves $$$

Breecher_7
06-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Nothing. Im almost positive I could get my wife to move out of state.... Come to think of it im not really sure why Im still here.....

I like the winter and I like hunting/fishing..... Colorado or Alaska could be a good place for me.

SSDude
06-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Ditto^^^
And a diverse variety of weather that gives you different things to do through out the year.:thumbsup

Mr Twigbert
06-08-2008, 08:31 AM
All the fat chicks..

Karps TA
06-08-2008, 09:00 AM
The reasonable taxes, abundance of high paying jobs, the tight knit interracial community, and the fat chicks.

I never should have come back home from school in Vegas years ago. Now I feel kinda stuck here.

Crawlin
06-08-2008, 09:47 AM
All the fat chicks..

and the truth shall set you free!!!!

pOrk
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
What other state can you get a job paying 15 an hour for unskiled labor? Not too many, seasons and tons of local events. ::eople in Wi are the best, all you guys ***** and moan but when it comes down to it this is a great place to live' We havnt had this much snow or rain in years, every time we get an inch of snow or rain everyone crys themselves to sleep.

MAN up, people in the suth are lazy as **** and crime is a ton worse, we dont have i that bad here minus high taxes.

GRAMPS SS
06-08-2008, 09:57 AM
All the fat chicks..

they are corn fed 100% prime choice aren't they !!!!:thumbsup

Reverend Cooper
06-08-2008, 09:59 AM
the great weather

turbogarrett
06-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Family and buisness. I was seriously looking into north carolina, but couldn't convince the better half. Although after recently getting out of milwaukee county I am much happier :D

nismodave
06-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Family and freinds. My job sucks.

Heat Seeker WS6
06-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I'd have to also add Road America to my reasons for staying. If I moved out of here, I HAVE to be within 1 hour of a track that does similar events as RA. Hmmm... Road Atlanta? ;)

loud91rs
06-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm still trying to find a reason for why i'm still here.:goof:goof

GRAMPS SS
06-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I'd have to also add Road America to my reasons for staying. If I moved out of here, I HAVE to be within 1 hour of a track that does similar events as RA. Hmmm... Road Atlanta? ;)

MID OHIO???????????????

GRAMPS SS
06-08-2008, 10:46 AM
cheese... spoted cow...herring....brats....freash liver sausage....smoked fish(chubs)...canibal sandwiches....a few other wisconsin things and this great weather...

Berettaspeed
06-08-2008, 10:48 AM
I honestly dont mind Wisconsin at all. Everywhere is the same. people who live in one area you will always hear the same thing they want out for whatever. why do i hear all this cra on the new with weather? PEOPLE ACT LIKE THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN A STORM BEFORE?? people call and ask if its flooding on the street? and because im irritated with PEOPLE i say " nothing like i haven seen before its just rain."( but more in the additude like do you have anything exciting to talk bout LOL)
I cant complain about taxes and such. even if they were lower people would still say its too much. so with that goes alot of the crying out the window.

WATER!!! we have great water here. and its cheap.
at least in SE we are close to alot of tracks. WI and ILL tracks.
We can drive to chicago and drive back to not live and deal with those ILL people :)

and it so nice when i do go up north. even the drive is nice. how can you not like all the green.

wrath
06-08-2008, 10:59 AM
I came for the job. What I didn't realize is that commuting distance single-family housing is ridiculous. $100,000 for an acre of land? You've got to be motherfscking kidding me.

It'd be different if the wages were competitive with other rustbelt states compared to cost of living but they're not. It reminds me of Marquette, MI. Armpit of the midwest (instead of the UP). None of the beauty, expensive housing, high taxes, piss poor infrastructure, and comparatively low wages.

If it wasn't for the outlandish housing I probably wouldn't complain. But when too many negatives appear you start nitpicking like I have.

It does look a lot like lower Michigan, which is what I like. What I don't like is the hapharzard zoning and everything built on top of concrete backfilled swamps.

brotherbenn83
06-08-2008, 11:02 AM
....NOTHING. I'm outta here at the end of July when my lease is up.

Cutlass Queen
06-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Family...my grandparents are getting older along with my parents, I want to be within driving distance in case of an emergency. Otherwise I'd be taking job offers out of state.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I honestly dont mind Wisconsin at all. Everywhere is the same. people who live in one area you will always hear the same thing they want out for whatever. why do i hear all this cra on the new with weather? PEOPLE ACT LIKE THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN A STORM BEFORE?? people call and ask if its flooding on the street? and because im irritated with PEOPLE i say " nothing like i haven seen before its just rain."( but more in the additude like do you have anything exciting to talk bout LOL)
I cant complain about taxes and such. even if they were lower people would still say its too much. so with that goes alot of the crying out the window.

WATER!!! we have great water here. and its cheap.
at least in SE we are close to alot of tracks. WI and ILL tracks.
We can drive to chicago and drive back to not live and deal with those ILL people :)

and it so nice when i do go up north. even the drive is nice. how can you not like all the green.

Agree on all fronts. :thumbsup

And I'm poor so I dont have to worry about those pesky "high taxes" :rolf
I'm never leaving WI, most everywhere is the same and I would never want to live in the southland where its hot all the time, I love the 4 seasons.

Wrath: I would love to see the house on that acre for $100g's, or is that for an unimproved acre ?

Flicktitty
06-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Wisconsin isn't THAT bad.
The winters usually suck (this was one of the worst the state has ever seen)

Summers in Wisconsin are usually pretty nice. we get a few really hot days but other then that is it nice.

Also if i were to move anywhere it would be with my buddy in Orlando Fl.
But whats keeping me here? Liz,Family,Friends...and i'm not afraid to say it but BCM....it's like another family for me.

LIZMO
06-08-2008, 03:50 PM
how cute. :) (about me AND the BCM part) lol

Al
06-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm still trying to find a reason for why i'm still here.:goof:goof

If you find one, let me know what it is.

BTW- this weather isn't that bad.

Heat Seeker WS6
06-08-2008, 04:02 PM
but BCM....it's like another family for me.

Yeah, a family kind of like the Bundy's :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Flicktitty
06-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah, a family kind of like the Bundy's :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

:rolf

Karps TA
06-08-2008, 04:14 PM
BTW- this weather isn't that bad.

This year's weather sux balls. It's been unseasonably cold all year so far until now. But we're getting so much rain we can't enjoy the heat. And when it does finally get nice the mosquito's are going to be of biblical proportions this year. More standing water we did not need.

I'm thinking this summer is going to miserable unless you have enough chemicals on you that you glow in the dark.

lordairgtar
06-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I've travelled a lot in my younger days through Canada, US and Mexico, and I lived in Illinois, California, and Florida. FLA sucks because it is always humid and you never get a break. Plus the damned flying cockroaches, they call'em Palmeto Bugs, but I know a 'roach when I see one. California is great. Perfect weather on the coast and just beautiful, I just couldn't afford it anymore. In the late 70s a cheesy apartment in the crappy part of town cost as much as what I'm paying now in Muskego. Illinois? Well, it's just Illinois, what can I say. Joliet was boring, Kankakee was boring, East Moline was just...uh...dead.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-08-2008, 04:49 PM
The Kankakee cow killers.

WickedSix
06-08-2008, 05:34 PM
motorsports, family, and friends ........ besides no other state would take me.......

GRAMPS SS
06-08-2008, 05:45 PM
how cute. :) (about me AND the BCM part) lol

ahhhhh get a room you 2...:devil

CPonyGo
06-08-2008, 05:49 PM
well it was family /work stuff.....but since the family went to shit...well I should save that for my own rant thread...lol..

what keeps me- nothing now

WickedSix
06-08-2008, 05:58 PM
well it was family /work stuff.....but since the family went to shit...well I should save that for my own rant thread...lol..

what keeps me- nothing now

wtf .... I thought u were engaged man?

wrath
06-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Wrath: I would love to see the house on that acre for $100g's, or is that for an unimproved acre ?

Unimproved swamp with no utilities or anything.

The only place it costs that much in Michigan is if it's waterfront on a lake that you can ski on. If you can't ski on it then it's not worth any more than say along a creek.

Of course, there are expensive areas too. But if you live 30 minutes out from Detroit you have Brookfield shopping with Mayville home/land prices.

pOrk
06-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Or in Detroit, 5 grand a house

wrath
06-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Or in Detroit, 5 grand a house

Yeah, pre-burnt unlike Milwaukee where it hasn't been burnt down and they want you to pay $15k to haul it away. haha.

If I could find a spot in Milwaukee to buy like 4 houses right next to each other I would. I'd knock 3 of them down and have the blinginest yard ever, surrounded by barbed wire. And turrets with .22 cal motion sensing "instruments".

pOrk
06-08-2008, 06:33 PM
^ haha, I always thought about doing something similar. Buy an entire city block of houses, re-zone and build one house and a huge driveway. Then park all my toys outside and watch all the idiots try to steal everything as I snipe from the roof.

Poncho
06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Lack of money to move elsewhere.

michelle
06-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Finishing up school here and family. It looks like my sister is moving to Minnesota with her boyfriend since his family is up there, so I am more tempted to move as well since my parents plan on traveling with they retire. I've been looking at what it takes to get my teaching license in other states as well and I am looking at Southern Illinois or Tennessee.

Reverend Cooper
06-08-2008, 06:47 PM
this right here I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=MKX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

formul8
06-08-2008, 06:57 PM
After another day of Sh><ty weather, wasn't winter bad enough! Bad roads, high taxes (we moved out of the top ten states) big deal. I could go on and on. I stay in Wisconsin because of business and family but am thinking more about moving all the time. What keeps you here? To anybody under twenty five, get out NOW while it is still easy.

If you want even higher taxes and worse roads, move to Illinois...

Grrrr....

team beater
06-08-2008, 08:03 PM
moved around plenty so far......I LOVE MILWAUKEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only will move if it is temporary and the money is more than right.

GRAMPS SS
06-08-2008, 08:19 PM
matt...you love milwaukee.?..but you live in G-TOWN....HOWS THE POND ON YOUR SIDE....??????????

lordairgtar
06-08-2008, 11:40 PM
The Kankakee cow killers.
????

lordairgtar
06-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Finishing up school here and family. It looks like my sister is moving to Minnesota with her boyfriend since his family is up there, so I am more tempted to move as well since my parents plan on traveling with they retire. I've been looking at what it takes to get my teaching license in other states as well and I am looking at Southern Illinois or Tennessee.
Do they have schools in Tenessee?

Nick
06-08-2008, 11:47 PM
College. As soon as I am done, I am not limiting my options. This last winter set me over the edge though and actually made me hate winter which has never happened before. I would like to move south to somewhere warm 24/7

michelle
06-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Do they have schools in Tenessee?

It didn't appear so when I was down there two years ago.

SBC-Fox
06-09-2008, 01:57 AM
i didnt read all 3 pages but if no ones else said it in the words of kid rock i stay in wisconsin for the corn fed midwestern hoes haha

Cleveland Dave
06-09-2008, 02:30 AM
Lack of money to move elsewhere.

same here

T-Bag
06-09-2008, 06:52 AM
I like it here for the most part. Winter sucks but whatever...I have a decent job with plenty of room for growth...but could also transfer out with it in a couple years if I wanted to since it's a national company.

I don't see myself leaving anytime soon unless its for a very high paying job.

moels
06-09-2008, 07:25 AM
My job obviously keeps me here, like most other people. I do make an ok living. I also like my location here in Port Washington. The kids can walk to school and it's a pretty nice neighborhood.

WilliamZ
06-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I am still here because of friends and family...

Silver03SRT
06-09-2008, 09:48 AM
The hunting, fishing, family and my job are the main things.

johnny--2k
06-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, it was family, but that will soon be changing. My parents, brother and grandma (she lives with us) are all relocating to Dallas for work, but I'm sticking around. Mainly because of the great friends I have here, it's just hard to leave. Also work, at least until the end of this year. Besides, if I am anywhere near "home" my parents are the kind that don't want me moving out, and I really want to, but I know they'll freak! So this is my only chance to get out of the house!!! I can't complain though, they are pretty cool about me being out. They really dont give me any grief for spending the majority of my time working or out with friends. Pretty much use the house for sleep and food!!!

The rest of my family is spread out all over the country and world. Denver, Boston, Cali, Michigan, Ohio, Egypt, Australia, and a few other random countries...

LIZMO
06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
moels i like ur avatar ! :rolf

jon_we4
06-09-2008, 11:20 AM
The grass is always greener...............

Yes state income tax sucks in WI. But 5.x% sales tax is better than the 9+% in Cook County IL. I'm going to be spending just a little more on property tax between the new house in WI and my small townhouse in IL. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to miss IL - but I want a 15 min work commute, not a 1 hour commute. I live in the far NW burbs, to get to friends in the SW burbs it can take over an hour! I also want to be closer to my family.

However I will say WI has worse roads than IL. On average that is, and most of the real bad roads are in Milwaukee's city limits.

johnny--2k
06-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Agreed, while my parents are moving to Dallas, they pay no State Income Tax, but the sales tax is about 8.5%. On top of that, while property is cheaper, their current house is about 3400 sq ft $750,000 and 13 years old, while the one they are buying in Dallas is 5800 sq ft, brand spankin new, and $1.3M, property tax here is about $11,500 last year, on the new house it is estimated over $24,000. So it's really a horse-a-piece in that case. Saving on some parts, but spending more on others.....

Silver03SRT
06-09-2008, 11:28 AM
For the amount of money they collect on tolls they should be perfect. I have been on some of IL roads and they were no better than here. I thought that the tolls pay for the roads but I bet it is just being put in the pockets.

johnny--2k
06-09-2008, 11:32 AM
roads, yes, Freeway/HWY, I dont know. They are doing a lot of work down there, but it's still no where near what it should be with the $$$$ paid for those damn tolls.

Cjburn
06-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I moved to Rockford over a year ago now, and I do miss living in Wisconsin. I miss Wisconsin sports talk, Chicago's is just hilariously retarded most of the time. I miss watching every Packer and Brewers game. I miss having some type of festival going on every weekend, the entire summer. I miss the generally nicer people of Wisconsin. I miss my lifelong friends, and my family. Realistically, a lot is much the same, since I did not move all that far away, but Milwaukee was a special place to me, and always will be. People might hate Rockford, but it's much like a large West Allis.

jon_we4
06-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Cj -

The one positive is you can wear an admirals jersey when they play the ice hogs and not get too much grief. Better than trying to go to a Wolves game.

Chicago burbs there are freaking cruise nights and car shows everywhere. That's what I'll miss.

Irish
06-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I moved to Rockford over a year ago now, and I do miss living in Wisconsin. I miss Wisconsin sports talk, Chicago's is just hilariously retarded most of the time. I miss watching every Packer and Brewers game. I miss having some type of festival going on every weekend, the entire summer. I miss the generally nicer people of Wisconsin. I miss my lifelong friends, and my family. Realistically, a lot is much the same, since I did not move all that far away, but Milwaukee was a special place to me, and always will be. People might hate Rockford, but it's much like a large West Allis.

You poor SOB. I grew up in that wasteland of a town.

GRNDNL
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
The grass is always greener...............

Yes state income tax sucks in WI. But 5.x% sales tax is better than the 9+% in Cook County IL. I'm going to be spending just a little more on property tax between the new house in WI and my small townhouse in IL. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to miss IL - but I want a 15 min work commute, not a 1 hour commute. I live in the far NW burbs, to get to friends in the SW burbs it can take over an hour! I also want to be closer to my family.

However I will say WI has worse roads than IL. On average that is, and most of the real bad roads are in Milwaukee's city limits.

Jon.......You still at Speed Inc?....

jon_we4
06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Jon.......You still at Speed Inc?....

Still doing a lot of work for the shop, just part time from now on tho.

Z06 KID
06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
as crazy as you may think, i like the weather here. i mean the weather could be worse. we still have a good stretch of nice weather. and because snakes and hurricanes dont do it for me. haha

ProjectCamaro
06-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Family and that is it. I hate this place with a passion and desperatly want to move to the south. My family is here and my wife doesn't want to leave them, if she was ok with us moving I would jump on it.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Family and that is it. I hate this place with a passion and desperatly want to move to the south. My family is here and my wife doesn't want to leave them, if she was ok with us moving I would jump on it.

What do you hate about WI and love about the south ? Weather ?

lordairgtar
06-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Cj -

Chicago burbs there are freaking cruise nights and car shows everywhere. That's what I'll miss.
Ya check out www.wednesdaynightclassics.com ? Cruise nites and shows all over here too.

PB86MCSS
06-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Like it was said, grass is always greener...IMO Wisconsin isn't that bad and actually a pretty good state. I haven't lived in another but have traveled enough and learned enough that I think I know what states I would and wouldn't like and why. I think I'd like the Carolina's, Arizona and maybe even Missouri near larger cities but not in them.

Friends and family are why I'm sure I'd never move out of state, my profession I can find work pretty much anywhere so that definately isn't keeping me here. I do hate 95% of winter so perhaps when I'm older I'll be fortunate enough to have a winter home in a warm climate.

BigSnailBuick
06-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Dont have the energy to compile another http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/Dsmprince/LittleBlackBook.jpg

jon_we4
06-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Ya check out www.wednesdaynightclassics.com ? Cruise nites and shows all over here too.

I just hope things have changed since I moved away. I don't need any attitude because I drive a vehicle made after 1975.

ReD715
06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Seven months for a degree.

lordairgtar
06-10-2008, 12:18 AM
I just hope things have changed since I moved away. I don't need any attitude because I drive a vehicle made after 1975.
Plenty of other cruise nites listed besides Pistol Petes. My car is new too, but I go to a lot of cruise nights.