PDA

View Full Version : Car shows make me LOL.

STANMAN
06-07-2008, 07:26 PM
As most of you know, I go to alot of car shows. Sometimes I feel I totally get screwed by the judges (either participant or other), but today I saw a guy get SO reamed, it makes taking all those losses to other cars a little easier.

Class was Stock Cars 65-69, or something close. Lots of nice cars in that class, and more than a few nice Mopars in that class, which always win at shows because you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting an Impala, Nova, Chevells, blah, blah, blah in those years. Well, as I am looking, what do I see? An all numbers matching, pristine ass 1968 426, 727(AUTO!!!!) equipped GTX. I mean the car was MINT right down to the dog dish hubcap 15" steel rims, with "H" (for hemi) stamped between 2 of the lug nut holes, I mean this car was the real deal, full documentation, 1 of 49!!! And a meticulous resoration was done back to original paint, the whole deal, car was STUNNING!! Did it take 2nd in it's class? Did it take 1st?? Nope, the Mopars took home all the trophies in that class, but his wasn't one of them. I mean there was a blacked out Charger with a 383 that won, and a yellowish 440 Road Runner. Granted, they were both NICE cars, but that GTX would go for $200K EASY, and they were $35K cars at best.

So, those of you who like to go to shows, remember this story next time you think you are deserving and come home empty handed. Guy was SUPER nice to, him and I sat and talked for a good 2 hours about Mopars in general. He restores cars for a living and lives up in West Bend, so I am sure I will run into him again. Maybe he can find me a little E body to restore!! Funny story: when he got the car it had a trailer hitch on it, and from what he has been able to dig up in it's history is the 1st owner used to use the GTX as a TOW VEHICLE for his Hemi Challenger, lol. He said when he did the resto he found numerous ticket stubs for paid entry into Milan, which he put in his scrap book. How cool of a pic would THAT have been? A Hemi GTX towing a Hemi Challenger to the track:headbang

Poncho
06-07-2008, 07:29 PM
It's called a car show, not who's ugly car looks the stock-est.

STANMAN
06-07-2008, 07:32 PM

The GTX was also better looking. Blue with a white interior, mint. The whole car was cherry. Now what?

Poncho
06-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Apparently the judges felt that your opinion (while being the best) was not the same as theirs, even though you SPECIFICALLY look for judged shows, so you can win a trophy

STANMAN
06-07-2008, 07:35 PM

You just may think a GTX is ugly though I guess. I am, however, unsure you should be the judge of what's hot and what's not. I mean you did own a souped up Grand Am. Sorry, make that 2 souped up Grand Am's. 1 FWD and 1 RWD:rolf

GTX's are hot Dan, admit it!

STANMAN
06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Apparently the judges felt that your opinion (while being the best) was not the same as theirs.

Now see, there's something I can agree with:goof

Windsors 03 Cobra
That does sound like a sweet GTX, $200k GTX :wow :headbang

STANMAN
Apparently the judges felt that your opinion (while being the best) was not the same as theirs, even though you SPECIFICALLY look for judged shows, so you can win a trophy

It was participant voting. People=dumb.

STANMAN
06-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I have pics, maybe I can get them up tomorrow.

6forwardgears
06-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Going around to as many shows as possible with the specific intent of winning trophies = dumb IMHO.

Karps TA
06-07-2008, 07:44 PM
I get people all the time who think my TA is stock. I overhear them all the time say it was a limited edition that came out in 89 that they only made 500 of, and that they had a friend who had one exactly like it. Car show folk rule. lol

The best guy at the show is the older guy with the black 4th gen with the ugly ass chrome SUV wheels and the rainbow colored wire loom all of the engine bay as his only mod. He'll trade you his vote for yours. lol

moels
06-07-2008, 07:45 PM
When I first got my Mustang and started modding it, I admit I was disappointed if I didn't trophy, but that went away pretty quickly. It was just nice to see people and shoot the shit at the shows. If you like your car, that's all that shuld matter. No show will ever be judged perfectly, whether judged or participant vote.

Poncho
06-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Going around to as many shows as possible with the specific intent of winning trophies = dumb IMHO.

Bob has to do something with his weekends though, dear... :rolf

GRAMPS SS
06-07-2008, 07:53 PM
why rip on santa...all he did was report on a show that he went to and gave his opinon on the show....granted it was a PEOPLESchoice car show...they felt it didn't deserve to win...maybe they didn't like the color...see it many times in my days of going to shows....but to rip santa a new one dan....that's not right.....granted he has voiced his iopinion on shows he didn't win....but in this case ..he stood up for someone else that didn't win...give the guy some slack....it's almost christmas....you do want your presents don't ya..:thumbsup

Poncho
06-07-2008, 07:55 PM
I <3 santa. Just harassing him.

Mr Twigbert
06-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Bob, you're only allowed to post 3 times in your own thread and you have met that mark..

pOrk
06-07-2008, 09:05 PM
You just may think a GTX is ugly though I guess. I am, however, unsure you should be the judge of what's hot and what's not. I mean you did own a souped up Grand Am. Sorry, make that 2 souped up Grand Am's. 1 FWD and 1 RWD:rolf

Says the god of Mustangs? Oh wait, your car has an intake and exhaust? Maybe aftermarket racing stripes? Shut the **** up

Poncho
06-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Says the god of Mustangs? Oh wait, your car has an intake and exhaust? Maybe aftermarket racing stripes? Shut the **** up

<3

pOrk
06-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh wait, I see you took some finger paint to the pieces under the hood. My bad, thats really 'custom' :thumbsup:rolf

Daytonapacecar959
06-07-2008, 10:17 PM
The best guy at the show is the older guy with the black 4th gen with the ugly ass chrome SUV wheels and the rainbow colored wire loom all of the engine bay as his only mod. He'll trade you his vote for yours. lol

Don't forget the brush painted ground effects.We were always in the same classes at car shows,granted my cars far from the best car in the late model classes at shows but when he was winning at every show and cars that should have won didn't it would piss me off.

JC70SS
06-07-2008, 10:39 PM
LOL reminds me of St. Dominics last year:rolleyes:

u_say_go
06-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Bob, you're completely missing the point of car shows. If you get all amped up for a show hoping and praying you win a trophy, you're in for rude awakening. Participant judged shows are nothing more than a "good ole boys" show. Friends vote for each others cars because that's what they do, and veteran car show guys know that and they're cool with that.
Don't get too worked up about it

u_say_go
06-07-2008, 10:46 PM
LOL reminds me of St. Dominics EVERY year:rolleyes:

i fixed that for ya

GRAMPS SS
06-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Bob, you're completely missing the point of car shows. If you get all amped up for a show hoping and praying you win a trophy, you're in for rude awakening. Participant judged shows are nothing more than a "good ole boys" show. Friends vote for each others cars because that's what they do, and veteran car show guys know that and they're cool with that.

otherwise know as......HOME COOKING :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
06-07-2008, 11:51 PM
LOL reminds me of St. Dominics last year:rolleyes:

YOU call that a car show....:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:r olf:rolf

more like HOME COOKING 101

Brandon W.
06-08-2008, 12:06 AM

BWAHAHA!!! +1 to you. did you see this post bob?:punch::punch:

lordairgtar
06-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Truth this. I actually won car shows with my old Marquis wagon, only to find out that a certain car club (not my own) got together and voted for it. Although an interesting and not a common to see car, it was by no means a show winner. Plus it couldn't make enough torque to peel the skin off a grape.

formul8
06-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Car shows are so rigged, it hilarious. I stopped entering them like 10 years and just stuck to cruise nights.

Reverend Cooper
06-08-2008, 07:19 PM
most people that lose at car shows feel they are rigged,its there way of coping. shows are what they are some you win some you lose who gives a shiat,i go for the people and to hang out i work alot so i dont get to do that often enough. i do get what bob is saying tho

formul8
06-08-2008, 07:22 PM
most people that lose at car shows feel they are rigged,its there way of coping. shows are what they are some you win some you lose who gives a shiat,i go for the people and to hang out i work alot so i dont get to do that often enough. i do get what bob is saying tho

I was at one car show that was judged by the entrants. It was a pretty big turnout, so there was plenty of selection for each class. One guy had a really nice '69 Z28 and was walking around with a pencil and the ballot sheet. He would say "vote for my car and I'll vote for yours!". I looked at his ballot sheet and noticed alot of eraser marks.

Ok, buddy...

Reverend Cooper
06-08-2008, 07:23 PM
thats not rigged thats just most people being gullible thinking he would do the same. if it was an issue you should have told him off,cuz i would have

GRAMPS SS
06-08-2008, 08:15 PM
wow...i guess i should burn all my trophies then...they must of been rigged wins....

nismodave
06-08-2008, 08:47 PM
I could of sworn the Aloha show was rigged in 06. I didnt think my car deserved Best Import, and Best Paint.:confused

But I did earn the Dyno Title!!:thumbsup

I thought J-Rinks car was the class of the feild that day.

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/3959-1/tn_Aloha5-20+002.jpg

TraceDaddy
06-09-2008, 01:00 PM
OK. So I'll ask a newbie question. I've never entered a car show before. My son wants me to enter the one in Wind Lake in a couple months. If I shouldn't care about winning, why would I pay money to enter? Why shouldn't I just do like I do every other year and park with fans, walk the grounds, and admire cars that way? I'll support whatever cause there is by buying food/beers etc.

nismodave
06-09-2008, 01:25 PM
OK. So I'll ask a newbie question. I've never entered a car show before. My son wants me to enter the one in Wind Lake in a couple months. If I shouldn't care about winning, why would I pay money to enter? Why shouldn't I just do like I do every other year and park with fans, walk the grounds, and admire cars that way? I'll support whatever cause there is by buying food/beers etc.

Nice Mustang. Take it to the show.

I think the best part of going to car shows is hanging out with people that share the same passion that you do and displaying all of your hard work for others to enjoy.

I think car shows are a great time. We all would like to win a trophy, but people stopping by and giving my car a compliment and showing intrest in it, is the most rewarding part.

Especially when the guy says he usually does not like Imports.:D

forest
06-09-2008, 01:52 PM

I know, its almost like going to the races and trying to win, who would do such a thing. :goof :rolf And coming from me whose nicest looking car I have owned was one i painted myself, and I am not all that with a spray gun haha. :rolf

STANMAN
06-09-2008, 02:48 PM

And a blower, and full suspension, and gears, and Tokico adjustables on all corners, and lowered, and I could go on and on, but why, I mean my car didn't win either, so it must be teh garbage to:rolf

michelle
06-09-2008, 02:48 PM
And a blower, and full suspension, and gears, and Tokico adjustables on all corners, and lowered, and I could go on and on, but why, I mean my car didn't win either, so it must be teh garbage to:rolf

Complete garbage. You can pay me $5 to take it away.

STANMAN
06-09-2008, 02:50 PM

And you should know better. I heart teh cars. Yeah, if I bring home a trophy, it's nice, but to me, it's more about the cars and the people and the stories. Like this show, even though I didn't get a trophy, will be the best one I attend this year (besides Planes, Manes, and Automobiles that is) just because I got to sit in a true legend, God if that car could talk I would listen to it for weeks!!!

shoooo32
06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
my car has no top so if its a saturday and the suns out I'd rather be attacking a twisty road north of madison than eating a corn dog staring at some clowns celica that has 60 speakers and sparkly paint. I'm sure some people bring out some killer vintage iron that I would love to check out but I'd rather be driving.

Smokey1226
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Maybe its that im too young to really turely appresiate them, but i honestly cant STAND car shows. Walking around in hot weather looking at other peoples cars that i cant have?!!?! I'd rather go to the track and trying to drive my a** off, or go to RA and pull some of the best runs of my life than to walk around and looking at other cars?

idk maybe its just me.

michelle
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I enjoy going to car shows, mostly to see cars that aren't normally on the road - like Boss 302s and whatnot. I don't need to spend an entire day, but if one is close by, I will drive to it and walk around. Some of the local ones get boring as you often see the same car at every show (who knows, maybe they really want that trophy!).

I'm with Smokey, in the sense that I rather be at the track, either driving or watching people drive their cars the way they should be. A clean car is always beautiful, but I like seeing tire rubber sticking to the wheel wells.

Smokey1226
06-09-2008, 04:13 PM

Larry, im in the Lions club and am setting up the show....for a $20 ill get you in the top 3....for a $50 your takeing home some trophies :D lol

Smokey1226
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm with Smokey

Someone get a screenshot of that...someone!! :rolf

STANMAN
06-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Because everyone knows my car is just a show car, I NEVER drive it:rolleyes::rolf

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Different boat here, I never understood the point of entering late models into a car show, I mean I love late model cars but do cars that daily drive or the roads are littered with belong in a "show" ?
I guess at the local Dairy Queen they do.

Muscle cars shows are mostly cool, tho if you seen one Boss, Mach or Road Runner you seen most.
I prefer pre WW2 classics myself. Especially Packards, Auburns, Cords, Duesenbergs, Hudsons, LaSalles, Etc, Etc. Now those were Automobiles. :thumbsup

Deggy
06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Someone get a screenshot of that...someone!! :rolf

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z6/deggyfresh/dgsdgsh.jpg

michelle
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Of course, Deggy comes to the rescue...

Smokey1226
06-09-2008, 04:43 PM
cuz he's my mang

TraceDaddy
06-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Larry, im in the Lions club and am setting up the show....for a $20 ill get you in the top 3....for a $50 your takeing home some trophies :D lol

:)

I'm sure that would make Trace happy. But I have a high school buddy that owns a trophy shop in Milton. I sure he has something lying around he could sell me cheap. :D

CannotPost
06-10-2008, 08:33 AM
I enjoy going to car shows, mostly to see cars that aren't normally on the road - like Boss 302s and whatnot. I don't need to spend an entire day, but if one is close by, I will drive to it and walk around. Some of the local ones get boring as you often see the same car at every show (who knows, maybe they really want that trophy!).

QFT, I feel like I have seen every show car in WI ;) TWICE

jbiscuit
06-10-2008, 09:05 AM
so Stanman, do you go to car shows hoping to win or what? I go to car shows to LOOK at all the cars and also to spend time with friends with cars....who really cares what wins and what doesn't. If the guy built that Hemi GTX to win a southeastern WI car show he should have his head examined. Car shows need to come with a disclaimer:

"This is a car show. If you don't win, please don't get butt hurt. We are truly sorry."

- The Car Show Management

GRAMPS SS
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
WOW...I can see where this is going...i'm staying out for i know nothing about car shows....

STANMAN
06-10-2008, 07:07 PM
so Stanman, do you go to car shows hoping to win or what? I go to car shows to LOOK at all the cars and also to spend time with friends with cars....who really cares what wins and what doesn't. If the guy built that Hemi GTX to win a southeastern WI car show he should have his head examined. Car shows need to come with a disclaimer:

"This is a car show. If you don't win, please don't get butt hurt. We are truly sorry."

- The Car Show Management

No, I go hoping to lose, and am usually happy at the end because I usually do:rolf

Yes, one of the reasons I go is to win, but it is a small reason. I went to this car show not knowing anyone that was there. NO ONE! But, because I like cars and talking to people, I went anyway. It turned out to be a great show regardless of knowing anyone or winning a trophy because I met some really cool people and got to see one VERY nice car, and lots of other nice cars. I also got the chance to briefly meet oneslowcamino from BCM, but he had a wedding to attend so we didn't talk that much. So to me it's more about that than a trophy. I think it gets to me more than most because ask anyone who knows me, and to me it's all about being just and fair, and when I see myself, or someone elses car that is CLEARLY head and shoulders above the rest get beat out by "home cooking", it doesn't sit right with me. Should it? Should I just lay down and close my mouth and be like 99% of the rest of the population that is so accustomed to getting screwed by everything nowadays that they don't even feel like they are getting screwed anymore as long as the d!ck (situation) is small enough? I mean yeah, there's much bigger problems out there than some home cooking at car shows, lol, but still, it's wrong and I did what every other red blooded American does, goes and bitches about it on the internet:rolf