PDA

View Full Version : Filling up the tank, why the **** do I scan my card 3 times?

pOrk
06-06-2008, 07:42 PM
This is baloney, I am so sick of standing at the fuel pump like a queer staring down a hotdog while I wait for my credit card to clear not once, not twice, but three god damn times. Wouldn't be a problem if that was all, but hanging up the nozzle and returning it to my filler tube three times makes me look like a bigger retard then I already am.

Is there anyone else that has a big tank vehicle and can charge more then 50 - 75 dollars at a time at the pump?

I use a Visa Card, does Discover or Mastercard offer anything different when it comes to paying at the pump?

Flicktitty
06-06-2008, 07:43 PM
i can only get $75 at a time too. which is ghey cauase i pre-pay.

and i've had the "card not working" thing a few times.

Silver03SRT
06-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I think you need money in your account or you cant be at your limit for your CC to work. JK LOL Yeah that has happened to me. Or I hate when they dont have pay at the pump and you have to pre pay. I go in and they say leave your CC here. Im like uhhhh how about not. I usually leave my drivers licsense

Karps TA
06-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Don't worry, by the 4th of July, it'll take you 4-5 times to fill your tank.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Walk inside and prepay for $150 in gas and then you can put the nozzle in and fill'er up.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Don't worry, by the 4th of July, it'll take you 4-5 times to fill your tank.

I heard it will be going up 30-50 cents in the next week due to the record high a barrel hit today, $140 I think it was.

ND4SPD
06-06-2008, 07:52 PM
5.00/gallon here we come.

GRAMPS SS
06-06-2008, 07:52 PM
going up 20 cents tonight chad says....smokey what ever his numbers are....he texted me today and told me...so i filled up at 3.91 a gallon....

pOrk
06-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Lets keep all the " wah wah gas is soo expensive wah wah " poopla out of this thread. I don't care how much it costs, cause I need it to make money and I am NOT going to drive any less.

I just want to know how to fill up with a credit card without talking to the attendant twice :) Or scanning my card 2+ times.

GRAMPS SS
06-06-2008, 07:58 PM
maybe your strip on the back of the card is shit....call card company and get a new one....

hey i need gas to work just like you,....let it get where ever it needs to be...i'll still pay it....

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Lets keep all the " wah wah gas is soo expensive wah wah " poopla out of this thread. I don't care how much it costs, cause I need it to make money and I am NOT going to drive any less.

I just want to know how to fill up with a credit card without talking to the attendant twice :) Or scanning my card 2+ times.

CASH :thumbsup

pOrk
06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Wayne, the card works fine. But the pump stops pumping at either $50 or $75 dollars. It happens religiously at every station I frequent.

Windsors, I was mugged twice and both times I had way too much cash on me. I am not letting it happen again, I work too hard for the money I have to give it away to some damn bum. I can't wait till conceal and carry in Wi :)

Karps TA
06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
The credit card companies only allow so much per swipe for gas. Visa I think is $50, Mastercard is $75. I think American Express doesn't have a max. It's some sort of security measurement considering people can use stolen cards without having a signature or ID at the pump.

mrz28M6
06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
4.64 over here in cali! i'm going, going, back, back to wisconsin, wisconsin :) sorry biggie is stuck in my head.

Cryptic
06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I just put in the $75 and go... fvck'em if they dont want more of my business. The next gas station will.
(Visa card)

Is it the gas station or card?

pOrk
06-06-2008, 08:05 PM
The credit card companies only allow so much per swipe for gas. Visa I think is $50, Mastercard is $75. I think American Express doesn't have a max. It's some sort of security measurement considering people can use stolen cards without having a signature or ID at the pump.

American Express it is, I will look into it. Thanks much

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
You would think these bank card folks would realize this problem and correct it, seems ridiculous that they don't but it's been going on ever since gas got expensive couple of years ago.

moels
06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I use my debit card if I pay at the pump. Never had it stop on me.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I use my debit card if I pay at the pump. Never had it stop on me.

Fuel pincher :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
06-06-2008, 08:11 PM
^^^^^thats cause you are RICH...WAYNE...............

moels
06-06-2008, 08:14 PM
^^^^^thats cause you are RICH...WAYNE...............

Not rich Gampa, I just can't see paying interest on a gas purchase. The cost is high enough. lol

pOrk
06-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't think I ever paid interest on a credit card before, don't plan to anytime soon either.

GTSLOW
06-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I heard it will be going up 30-50 cents in the next week due to the record high a barrel hit today, $140 I think it was.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080606/economy.html

All kinds of great shit going on with our awesome economy.

moels
06-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't think I ever paid interest on a credit card before, don't plan to anytime soon either.

That's good man, some people aren't that smart. I know people who use their cc for gas and pay them off every month, only now that monthly bill comes and it's a little more than they had planned on and they aren't ready.

Silver03SRT
06-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Its the gas station that puts the limit on the card. I can go to several different gas stations and hit my max at different points sometimes 50 sometimes 75 other times there is no limit. My record fill up is 85 lets see if i cant break that soon. :alcoholic

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-06-2008, 08:30 PM
President Bush was considering new proposals to revive the economy.

:rolf:thumbsup

88Nightmare
06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
its way out of your way, but flying j's truck stop in oak creek (20th & ryan road) allows you to fill your tank up on one swipe if you use your rewards card first. I've purchased as much as $200 with my visa before, and it would have kept going too.

u_say_go
06-06-2008, 09:03 PM

yeah, he's right Pork. You swipe your card and wait for a pre-approval for $XX which I THINK is set by the gas station....either way, there is a pre approval, thats why you have to swipe a couple times.

USMARINE1108
06-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I use a visa check card that comes right out of my checking account. $75 limit at the pump here in South Carolina. 87 was $3.87 yesterday.

moels
06-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I use a visa check card that comes right out of my checking account. $75 limit at the pump here in South Carolina. 87 was $3.87 yesterday.

I must have not spent enough to reach the limit of the station then. I will guaranty I will with the Durango though. lol

wrath
06-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I think it depends on the card.

My GM Card (HSBC MasterCard) has let me go way past $100 for the last 8 years.

My Chase card used to go past $75 (don't know if it does, haven't had anything with bigger than a 16 gallon tank for 6 months).

Some of my other cards stop at $50 and $75.

Yooformula
06-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I hate that shit. Everytime I fill up using my debit card, I get $10 away from a full tank but its never worth my time to reswipe.

Breecher_7
06-06-2008, 10:24 PM
My local pump cuts off the diesel at $100. Its F'n annoying

Lash
06-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I put in over $100 at a time in my work fan with the GE Fleet Fuel Card. I've only had one pump cut it off @ $75.

I've also put in a tad over $100 in my ram with my Visa/debit card.

UnderPSI
06-07-2008, 09:38 AM
I just put over $100 in Diesel in my truck at PDQ on 59 and West ave. Could have been because I used the truck pump. It would be nice if all pumps filled that fast.

juicedimpss
06-07-2008, 09:45 AM
when i pay at the pump,i usualy just let it run till it shuts off,at 75. with a 44 gallon tank,i could sometimes add another $100

Smokey1226
06-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Alrighty, EVERYONE ready for the reason answers?!?!?!? WOOOTTTYYY WOOOOOTTTT

First off- Porky Pork, its not you, its not that you dont have the money, its not that you dont have enough credit limit. Non of that.

Second- All major CC companies are different as well as most Gas Stations are different too. Some were $75, some moved to $80, and some are $100.

Third- Who set's these limits you ask?!?!?! The Gas station owners AND the CC companies. How you ask? Well when you sit down with your Insurance companies they WILL almost double your rates (which for a business are already rediculously high) if you don't set a limit. Why?!?! Because if they didnt and someone pumped $900 of fuel and drove off, who gets stuck with the bill....the Insurance company who then goes after the CC company!! So both companies sat down one day and came up with Limits at the pump.

How to fix that? Depending on the station, ours we have the pump first then pay inside method. So just lift the handle fill up your vehicle then pay inside with whatever you want. Credit/debt/cash/IOU/Kidney <<< lol

I HATEEEEE when people get pissed when the card stops them at $100 and people come in and ***** "If you dont want my business, ill go somewhere else". That is the LAST thing we would want, but if you want to pay our $XX,XXX Insurance costs then PLEASE go ahead and do so, ill pull the limits First thing monday morning.

Everyone can relax, Chadly saved the day :D

juicedimpss
06-07-2008, 10:05 AM
isnt this kinda like b1tching about the clerk asking to see your ID on a credit/debit purchase?really it only protects the consumer.yes its a pain in the azz,but im sure you would be much more upset if someone drained your bank account at a gas station using your lost/stolen debit card.

Smokey1226
06-07-2008, 10:07 AM
isnt this kinda like b1tching about the clerk asking to see your ID on a credit/debit purchase?really it only protects the consumer.yes its a pain in the azz,but im sure you would be much more upset if someone drained your bank account at a gas station using your lost/stolen debit card.

Exactly, the process its takes a helluva lot longer than a week or 2 to get things corrected. And these days if someone were out of $200-$300, that could be a lot of money for most! So really, all we are doing is trying to save you, YES i do agree it sucks i have to do it twice to fill up my truck with diesel. But Knowing i dont have to sit on the phone with the CC company and wait a month to get money back if someone steals it, is rather worth it to me.

Moparjim
06-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Here is my attempt at an explanation:

When you first swipe the card, the pump has no idea how much you plan to pump. A number of some sort needed to be chosen, keeping in mind that many people are indeed near their credit limit or daily limit on say a checkcard all the time. So, in the past most pumps were semi arbitrarily set up to call and check to "authorize" a $50 purchase, I'm sure based on the fact that most people were filling up at $20-$40 or less even. Once you fill up, then the transaction is put through for the final amount. The companies didn't want to make it too low, and then have the transaction bounce so to speak or put you over your limit and they didn't want it too high like try to "authorize" $100 or $200 only to have it reject people that were close to their daily ATM limit or credit limit and not allow them to pump the $10 worth of gas they were trying to buy. The $50 or even $75 that is in place most places now has always been there at many pumps but you just never noticed it until gas prices got so frikken high that most people now go over the $50 when filling up.

70 cutlass 442
06-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Exactly, the process its takes a helluva lot longer than a week or 2 to get things corrected. And these days if someone were out of $200-$300, that could be a lot of money for most! So really, all we are doing is trying to save you, YES i do agree it sucks i have to do it twice to fill up my truck with diesel. But Knowing i dont have to sit on the phone with the CC company and wait a month to get money back if someone steals it, is rather worth it to me.

yes, but if your card is stolen, cant the "bad guys" swipe your card two or three tims just as easily as you can?

Anakonda69
06-07-2008, 11:29 AM
there is a sign on most pumps stating that for pay at the pump visa is $50 max and mc is $75 max i believe. not sure about discover or anything like that. if u go inside it won't matter. i know it defeats the idea of pay at the pump but gotta do what u gotta do.

Yooformula
06-07-2008, 11:31 AM
meh, all it does is add a step for the theives..yeah and the great thing is that they wont even track it for you or utilize their alledged video surveillance to help you out! and ftr, it DOES take almost a month to get your money back. ask me how I know!

Poncho
06-07-2008, 11:32 AM
4.64 over here in cali! i'm going, going, back, back to wisconsin, wisconsin :) sorry biggie is stuck in my head.

thats LL Cool J, noobsauce.

Yooformula
06-07-2008, 11:34 AM
/\/\ AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA epic fail for dumbass mrsZ28

Anakonda69
06-07-2008, 11:37 AM
just so u know biggie does have a song with the same hook......so technically your both right.......

pOrk
06-07-2008, 01:13 PM
i have no problm pumpingthen swiping my crd inside but most places are turning to repay round here and damn near very state south of indana is pre pay only at every station.

thanks for the info

mrz28M6
06-07-2008, 05:53 PM
yes thank you anakonda! i think i can read the cd artist on the cover :) another epic fail for dumbass yooobitch

A B4C Z
06-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I never have a problem and i use visa. I can get over 75 bones at a tank. I usallly only fill up at stop and go in pewaukee maybe differnt stations have differnt limits?