PDA

View Full Version : Historical significance of today

USMARINE1108
06-06-2008, 08:53 AM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3870/ddayuy4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3870/ddayuy4.0ca7fab63b.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=529&i=ddayuy4.jpg)

An event that we as Americans should never forget.

That_Guy
06-06-2008, 08:58 AM
i have so much respect for those men..

that was back when men where men and so where women...wtf has happen to this world.

juicedimpss
06-06-2008, 09:05 AM
i have so much respect for those men..

that was back when men where men and so where women...wtf has happen to this world.

there are still women who are men around

nismodave
06-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Man, you are right. A very historic day.

God Bless those men, God Bless America.

OxmanWI
06-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Read the sig, go USA! :usa:

That_Guy
06-06-2008, 09:24 AM

im not talking bulldikes.

Moparjim
06-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah, every year I pop in the DVD and watch the first 10-15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, and make my kids watch it as well trying to teach them some respect for the things their grandparents not to mention the other countless Americans have done throughout our history to earn that house in the suburbs full of shit like Xbox360s and big screen TVs for them. My grandfather served in the Pacific, and my wifes grandfather was a gunner on a B-17. Both were "lucky" enough to have served much later in the war, when there was a much higher survival rate. Early island hoppers and B17 crews had a pretty bleak chance of survival. I've made them sit through Memphis Belle as well and tried to make them grasp the concept that it was such a big deal because they were the first crew to SURVIVE 25 missions intact, meaning most crews before them did not.

I'm not sure if it works or if they "get it", but I try at least. Its sad how spoiled our society is today - they still remain fairly unclear on the concept and whine when asked to do the dishes for ****s sake, let alone jump out the front of a landing craft into neck deep water while dodging MG42 bullets.

USMARINE1108
06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah, every year I pop in the DVD and watch the first 10-15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, and make my kids watch it as well trying to teach them some respect for the things their grandparents not to mention the other countless Americans have done throughout our history to earn that house in the suburbs full of shit like Xbox360s and big screen TVs for them. My grandfather served in the Pacific, and my wifes grandfather was a gunner on a B-17. Both were "lucky" enough to have served much later in the war, when there was a much higher survival rate. Early island hoppers and B17 crews had a pretty bleak chance of survival. I've made them sit through Memphis Belle as well and tried to make them grasp the concept that it was such a big deal because they were the first crew to SURVIVE 25 missions intact, meaning most crews before them did not.

I'm not sure if it works or if they "get it", but I try at least. Its sad how spoiled our society is today - they still remain fairly unclear on the concept and whine when asked to do the dishes for ****s sake, let alone jump out the front of a landing craft into neck deep water while dodging MG42 bullets.

I watch Band of Brothers overy once in awhile too. If you've never seen it, it's NOT a waist of 10 hours. Great series.

twirkin50
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
On another historical note, the wife and I watched "We were Soldiers" last night. Have not seen it in a while. Another great history related movie. I could only wish to have some Commanders and Chiefs like the ones back then.

HUA!

Neal Steffek
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I watch Band of Brothers overy once in awhile too. If you've never seen it, it's NOT a waist of 10 hours. Great series.

X2

I liked it more then Saving Private Ryan.

70 cutlass 442
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM

I just spit my soda up on that one.

awsomeears
06-06-2008, 05:52 PM
My hair stands up on my arms when I see that picture, if I think about it for to long ill tear up. Unreal what those men were up against, and how fast a friend could be lost before touching land.

I'm young ( 24 ) and I will admit my generation has no clue what sacrifices were made then, hell I don't even know but I do respect it and am all ears when speaking with that generation that went through it.

I sat down with a customer for 45 minutes extra ( was late to my next call ) just to hear her story. I mean were talking only 60+ years ago this happened, thats not to long ago Soldiers were storming the beach and had Mini wars on whatever soil they were on.

Thats why my attitude during the day is always positive, constantly I'm asked " Why are you smiling " I just reply " Its good day "

I'm not even sure I can say I understand that Era or war even 1% but God Bless it I'm Proud of those who have came home and those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.

In WAR Everything Happens for a reason but its sad some will miss that reason, that reason is Freedom.

:usa

73Dustr
06-06-2008, 06:00 PM
We definitely do have to thank all of those that have served this country, passed and present. I agree with awesomeears that our generation really lacks respect. My grandfather landed at Normady on the 4th or 5th day of the invasion and was lucky enough to make it home alive. All those soldiers had a lot of courage to go up against what they did. It's a damn shame that people forget what this country has gone through to get where it is today. Now, kids take everything for granted and people expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. It's sad.

awsomeears
06-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Every public school should play " Saving Private Ryan " from 6th grade up on this day !!! I can bet you my kidney 90% of the kids will say " Did that really happen "

Sometimes watching the History channel I even think that !!!

Heat Seeker WS6
06-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Great thread- thankyou for starting it :headbang

Another day I remember because Im an airplane geek like that is May 10th (1972). Randy Cunningham & Willie Discroll shot down 5 MiGs over Vietnam in thier F4 to become the war's 2nd pair of Aces. They themselves were also shotdown in the same mission.

http://www.militaryartgallery.com/Images_b/b-showtime-100.jpg

awsomeears
06-06-2008, 06:16 PM
^ WoW ^

lordairgtar
06-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Much Respect!

Reverend Cooper
06-07-2008, 12:09 AM
i would like to thank all those that have and are serving,that have and will give their lives for myself and my family.

srt4eh
06-07-2008, 07:20 AM
I have tons of respect for all those who fought back then - I think every day about how crappy it is over here but then I see this and I realize how good I really have it.