PDA

View Full Version : First Challenger 1/4 time from a rag mag

Prince Valiant
06-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Road and Track managed a 13.0 @ 109.7

Not too shabby from an overweight, automatic equipped SRT.

Motor trend tested the 41G Challenger SRT against against the 47G Ford GT500. Though the challenger was 250lbs heavier and 75hp down, it still placed within 4/10th's of a second behind the GT500 in the 1/4 mile. To be honest, that's not bad for a car, while only having a 40ci advantage in natural displacement, but being down 2 valves per cylinder and a supercharger. Overall, it won the comparison.

Hmmm...I think I'll take my 2009 380hp six speed R/T in black, thank you very much :thumbsup

Cryptic
06-03-2008, 12:57 PM
What is the curb weight?

Prince Valiant
06-03-2008, 12:58 PM
4200lbs :wow

jbiscuit
06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
YIKES! That thing is a tank!

1siksrt
06-03-2008, 01:14 PM
If i could afford it, I would be all over the 09 w/ stick

6forwardgears
06-03-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm more interested in what the '09 R/T with 6speed will do, and what it will cost.

Unfortunately I'd be surprised if it does any better than 13.9 @ 102mph.

70 cutlass 442
06-03-2008, 01:49 PM
talk about no traction.

Russ Jerome
06-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Hmmm...I think I'll take my 2009 380hp six speed R/T in black, thank you very much :thumbsup

I'd keep the auto, I only ask to delete:

AC
Cruise
Power Steering
Power Brakes
ABS
Upolstery
Passenger seats
Rear defog
Side mirrors
rear veiw mirrors

What am I missing here, I just want a
steering wheel, brakes and a windsheild (that
I'll replace with Lexan).

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-03-2008, 05:26 PM

AC
Cruise
Power Steering
Power Brakes
ABS
Upolstery
Passenger seats
Rear defog
Side mirrors
rear veiw mirrors

Yes ! Yes ! :thumbsup

Poncho
06-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Not really surprized, just a reskinned charger.

HITMAN
06-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Road and Track managed a 13.0 @ 109.7

Not too shabby from an overweight, automatic equipped SRT.

Motor trend tested the 41G Challenger SRT against against the 47G Ford GT500. Though the challenger was 250lbs heavier and 75hp down, it still placed within 4/10th's of a second behind the GT500 in the 1/4 mile. To be honest, that's not bad for a car, while only having a 40ci advantage in natural displacement, but being down 2 valves per cylinder and a supercharger. Overall, it won the comparison.

Eh, it was more like a half second. I know, I know, a tenth, big deal. But... Which is easier to launch, a stick or auto? Which might hook better on an unprepared surface, IRS or SRA? Thought so. Also, the weight distribution is much better in the Challenger. That pig of a Mustang has 58% of it's tonnage on the nose. It would make a better snow-plow than a performance car.:rolleyes:

Also, why don't you include the trap speed of the two cars tested by Motor Trend? MT went almost 109, the GT 500 went a bit over 114. Close to 6 mph. That's a pretty big difference, IMO. If you read MT's graphing, as the mph climbs higher, the gap between the two cars grows with every step. Once over 100 mph the GT 500 is significantly quicker to each step. In a ricer roll, the GT 500 would murder the Challenger, pure and simple. It should. As you said, it's lighter and more powerful.

Another thing. You make it look like there is a huge gap in the pricing. Base msrp to base msrp, they aren't that far apart. There are just more options available for the Pigstang and the tested vehicle had some.

For whatever it's worth, I don't own either and I really do like the Challenger, but I thought MT's conclusion was less based on actual data than it was on subjective feelings.
Bleh.

If I had the cash, I would own one of each, as well as one of the new Camaros when GM finally pulls it's head out of it's ass and brings it to market. I like 'em all. When you're old, retro rules.

Poncho
06-03-2008, 09:50 PM
It's all about "gotta have it factor"

Mustang had it over the GTO even though the GTO whalloped it.
Challenger has it over the Mustang, even thought the Mustang whalloped it.

Fads are fads, just that, Fads. Now the current stang is looking more common, and looking a little dated.

So we are seeing what we saw before. SRT is in the range of f-bodies, G8 GXP's, GTOs, and lightly modded new stangs, but way more expensive, and the R/T model albeit more "proper" in pricing, is too heavy, and G8's will be beating up on it

GT500 is a hell of a car, and will rip up a similarly priced SRT, and hell at that price, the base 430hp Vette isn't that much more expensive.

Either way, any of the aforementioned cars are awesome, and would be a treasure in anyone's driveway. Meanwhile GM is still asleep at the wheel with the new Camaro. I'd be more likely to see a VE G8 Coupe here before a Camaro right now....

05caddyext
06-03-2008, 10:05 PM
I got to ride in a brand new srt8 challenger tonight in Whitewater. My friend is a salesman at the dodge dealer here. Guy was really cool, did a few nice burnouts in the parking lot. Said he paid 8k over sticker, must be nice to have extra cash laying around. The car was orange, very cool. Hate the silver.

05caddyext
06-03-2008, 10:08 PM

AC
Cruise
Power Steering
Power Brakes
ABS
Upolstery
Passenger seats
Rear defog
Side mirrors
rear veiw mirrors

You will be able to order a "S/S" challenger from your local dealer next fall. Go up to the parts counter and order a part #. In turn you will get a challenger with the big hemi motor and nothing else. I read this in a Mopar magazine I bought a few months ago. I lent it to my dad, ill get the exact wording when I get the mag back this weekend. Sounded very cool from what I read, hopefully they actually do this.

Prince Valiant
06-03-2008, 10:19 PM

AC
Cruise
Power Steering
Power Brakes
ABS
Upolstery
Passenger seats
Rear defog
Side mirrors
rear veiw mirrors

I'll replace with Lexan).You will be able to order a "S/S" challenger from your local dealer next fall. Go up to the parts counter and order a part #. In turn you will get a challenger with the big hemi motor and nothing else. I read this in a Mopar magazine I bought a few months ago. I lent it to my dad, ill get the exact wording when I get the mag back this weekend. Sounded very cool from what I read, hopefully they actually do this.Yep, you are correct...a factory built super stock dodge:thumbsup

Also, why don't you include the trap speed of the two cars tested by Motor Trend? MT went almost 109, the GT 500 went a bit over 114. Close to 6 mph. That's a pretty big difference, IMO. If you read MT's graphing, as the mph climbs higher, the gap between the two cars grows with every step. Once over 100 mph the GT 500 is significantly quicker to each step. In a ricer roll, the GT 500 would murder the Challenger, pure and simple. It should. As you said, it's lighter and more powerful.

Another thing. You make it look like there is a huge gap in the pricing. Base msrp to base msrp, they aren't that far apart. There are just more options available for the Pigstang and the tested vehicle had some.
The reason is because I didn't have the numbers in front of me...nor had actually read them personally, was just reporting (including the price) what I had read from another poster. I tried to source MT.com for actual numbers, however, it's not online yet.

No nefarious motives, just simply trying to get out what had been reported.

Although, I'm not too sure about your claim of IRS being easier to launch....in any conditions

HITMAN
06-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Yep, you are correct...a factory built super stock dodge:thumbsup
The reason is because I didn't have the numbers in front of me...nor had actually read them personally, was just reporting (including the price) what I had read from another poster. I tried to source MT.com for actual numbers, however, it's not online yet.

No nefarious motives, just simply trying to get out what had been reported.

Although, I'm not too sure about your claim of IRS being easier to launch....in any conditions

OK, I thought you had the issue of MT. I have one (The freebie subscription they were giving out at the Milwaukee auto show. First time I've ever been happy with the ADAMM show...:rolf) and read through the test a couple of times. (Memory ain't what it used to be...)

An IRS should provide better traction on most unprepared surfaces due to it's ability to conform to irregularities. This of course is provided it doesn't start to wheel hop and rattle your teeth, blur your vision or just plain fail...

HITMAN
06-03-2008, 11:03 PM
GT500 is a hell of a car, and will rip up a similarly priced SRT, and hell at that price, the base 430hp Vette isn't that much more expensive.

And here is the true reason that anybody that pays $40K for a new EVO or Sti should be kicked out of the human race. $40K tarted-up economy cars FTMFL.

Waver
06-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Here is what I noticed about most general car magazines (non single make) (car and driver/road and track seem to be the exception: When a car comes out that is new for the year or an all new model, they tend to go with the newer car vs the older car that they are compairing it to, even if it gets stomped in every evaluation that they do. That is the case with the MT issue...in most every test, the Shelby beats the charger, However the Charger still won.........Kind of pisses me off about those magazines, and why I wouldnt pay for a MT Subscription......