PDA

View Full Version : radar/laser question??

sparkyballs
11-03-2003, 09:31 PM
Well i finally got busted for speeding on saturday morning on 43 N just before Brown Deer Rd where it is still 55, sheriff said I was doing 70 but when i asked him to see the radar he said that he got me on laser and that the speed goes away with a few seconds. Im not sure if thats true or not so if anyone knows please let me know

Knyghtmare
11-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Fight it in court. I believe if you ask to see it and the officer doesnt show it to you then it wont stand up in court and the judge should drop it. Thats what I was always told.

Yooformula
11-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Go to court and try to plea it down. It cant hurt and you can only get a lesser sentence than not showing up.

All else fails, you can always hire the same lawyer that a bunch of us here have used;) He is pretty good:thumbsup I dont have his cell phone number but his name is Scott Schmidltkoff and he works out of New Berlin. Scott, Brandon or Dan might have the number available.

edit: found it, office # is 650-9523 ask for Scott and tell him Yoosof referred you, he should take care of you.:banana

DocDave
11-04-2003, 12:47 PM
My lawyer always told me if you ask to see the gun and they don't show it to you it will not hold up in court. Wisconsin law states the must show you the speed. They can still nail you for imprudent speed, but they can not give you a ticket for a specific speed. :mad:

SSmike1
11-05-2003, 10:48 AM
i think they have to show it,
they have a button they push, when they see a speeder, and it locks in the speed.
IF they did not lock it in on you, its bogus.

Unfortunately for me, I asked to see the radar, and it showed my speed. He had it locked on, or stored, whatever.

So, my advice, is hire a Lawyer! If you don't, you will pay at least that much in the long run for Higher Insurance!:wow

super bike mike

SSScottSS
11-06-2003, 05:32 AM
No, he does not have to show you the radar/laser, yes it will still stand up in court, yes it's always worth going to court.

SSmike1
11-06-2003, 07:33 AM
;)
thanks for the feedback scott.:D

r you an Officer?:shades

have a Marvelous Day!:banana

SSScottSS
11-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Yep :-), currently your ticket falls in the 11-15 over range. I'm confident, not positive, but confident, that if you show up on the court date, and talk to the DA, that they will reduce the citation down to a 1-10 over violation which will look alot better on your record.
It's up to you if you want to hire a lawyer, but unless your license is in jepordy, save the money, show up on your court date dressed nicely, and ask the prosecuting attourney what they can do for you.
Of course it is your right to be represented by an attourney, and also your right to have a jury trial if you desire one.

PonyKiller87
11-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Hahaha, sorry had to laugh it was only a mater of time before you got busted, lol. Anyways if it was still in Milwaukee County they are pretty soft, my 4 point 16 mph over ticket was dropped to a 0 point faiure to use a turn signal. They just want their money other than that they dont care.

mattGT95
11-06-2003, 08:46 PM
laser doesn't stand up in court in a few other states.. i'll find the info I have about it.

i've seen radar and laster guns pointed at nothing, and reading 45-75 mph!

SSmike1
11-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the Input SS-Scott!:thumbsup

how do you operate one of those radar and laser guns?

does it record or memorise your speed?

I got pulled over on the freeway, by a younger state trooper recently....
i was on CRUISE control at 70 in a 65zone, in no where land = rural area,
there was a car coming up from behind, to pass me, in my lane yet,
and he pulled me over in my shinny SS sports car.

he told me that i was going 79, or 14 over.
he only gave me a warning, but i had to sit there for 15-20 minutes, while he wrote it up.
I was only going 5 over???????

i look back and wonder WHY? did he have to pull me over?
to look at my car?:rolleyes:

thanks for the feedback Scott.
Which dept. do ya work for?

SSScottSS
11-07-2003, 08:01 AM
They all work a bit different. Radar shoots out a beam which spreads over distance....sort of like a ripple in the water. Laser on the other hand shoots a very narrow beam, much like that of a laser pointer, in fact, laser units use a scope similar to that found on a rifle to "sight in" the vehicle you are focusing on.
Radar gets a bit more tricky. Some radar units are capable of tracking several cars at once, clock only cars closing in on you, or only cars driving away from you. You can also clock cars going in the same direction, while moving, both in front of you and behind you. The problem then lies in which vehicle is then being displayed on the radar unit. Generally radar will be used in a low traffic volume situation. Laser is better suited for high traffic areas due to its ability to single out a specific vehicle.
Troopers are not known for giving warnings at the speeds you mentioned, so there's a good possibility he was running radar, and noticed after he was stopping you, that he was not 100% positive that he was stopping the vehicle he was really after, hence the warning.
I write quite a few speeding tickets a day, and I will NEVER write one unless I am 100% positive that it is a just ticket. The worst thing I could do, traffic control wise, is give someone a citation they don't deserve.
I have stopped alot of people, who say they werent going as fast as they were really going. Sometimes I believe them. Not that they werent going that fast, but that they actually believe they werent going that fast. Sometimes people just don't realize how fast they are going. Sometimes its a speedometer problem, which is not all that uncommon especially if you've had transmission work done.
Oh well, I'm done rambling on. Glad to hear you only got a warning. I know how much tickets suck....believe me, I've been on the receiving end also.

02bonne
11-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Being the speeding ticket king I know the answers. The speed stays on the radar/lazer gun until you erase it or clock someone else. In theory they have to show you the speed, but in practice if you say that he didn't show you the speed, they'll still nail you for doing 70 and give you the standard plea which would be probably the 1-9 over category. Generally rule of thumb is they reduce your speed by 5mph and will give you that plea....so if you were speeding 13 mph, they'll generally figure a good plea would be in the 1-9 category. :3gears:

SSScottSS
11-12-2003, 07:36 PM
"The speed stays on the radar/lazer gun until you erase it or clock someone else".......... wrong..all units are different. That is true for "some" units. Others only hold the speed for about 2 min.

02bonne
11-17-2003, 10:51 AM
True, not all units are the same, but most of the ones used by MPPD funtion that way, especially the new ones.