PDA

View Full Version : Shipping wheels/tires help

Goat Roper
06-03-2008, 07:38 AM
I have never before shipped wheels mounted with tires but am now have to find a way.

Tires are 225-45-17s so not huge but once you get four of them together it is awfully heavy. Do you ship them individually? Together? How to "pack" them? Who to ship with?

I want to make sure that they are not damaged in anyway in transit so thanks in advance.

0TransAm0
06-03-2008, 08:05 AM
take some cardboard and cut it out so its the shape of the tire.. put 2 pieces on each side and use zip ties threw the wheel and around the tire to hold the cardboard in place.. put the shipping lable on the outside and your good to go..

i got my wheels and tires shipped that way.. and they go individually only time i had 2 tied together was when i got just tires.

Goat Roper
06-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Since these are a front wheel drive rim the face of the rim would probably impact the cardboard, do you think a piece of foam in front would suffice to keep the finish in good shape?

jbiscuit
06-03-2008, 08:32 AM
DHL had good prices to ship wheels....

BoosTT
06-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I ordered some tires from tirerack, the tires were $40 to get shipped from tirerack to me. But $90 for me to return them to tire rack. Both were by ups. Go figure.

Also, ups can ship up to 200+lbs in one box... but expect it to get shaken a lot!

0TransAm0
06-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Since these are a front wheel drive rim the face of the rim would probably impact the cardboard, do you think a piece of foam in front would suffice to keep the finish in good shape?

yeah you could put the foam then the cardboard.. mine came with a plastic ring on the lip of the wheel maybe check at a local tire stor and see if they have any?

Feature Pony
06-03-2008, 08:52 AM
you can also buy a shrink rap that you can put foam in the front by the wheel and shrink rap the rest of it. I would ship one at a time, that way if you were to ship 2 and they some how get split up your not SOL.

BoosTT
06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
It sounds dumb, but I think it's most cost effective to ship two at a time. Thats how tire rack does it.

BoosTT
06-03-2008, 09:52 AM
just write you address on all tires.

05caddyext
06-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Another idea- Go to a shop that sells huge rims, like 24's. The boxes those things come in would easily fit a rim and tire of a normal size. Should be a decent shipping box also because those rims are so heavy and big. Ask them, im sure they would give you some of those boxes for free. Problem solved. :thumbsup