PDA

View Full Version : So who watched the Kimbo fight?

Karps TA
06-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Thoughts?

Although he didn't dominate this guy, I still thought he had a good showing at times. Maybe it's alot to do with his competition, but I thought there were a couple time when on the ground I thought he was screwed and he had the power to get out of it. Seemed like he spent alot of time resting though, which he likely wouldn't have normally gotten if he wasn't who he was.

His opponent sure could take a punch. Couple of those shots and I not only would have been knocked out but crapped myself as well.

Overall I thought CBS did a good job, besides the last fight, of having more standup fighters then mat guys. I personally dig the punching/kicking type of fights and hate the rolling on the mat fights. The chic fight was pretty good too.

Car Guy
06-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I CAN'T BELEIVE I FORGOT ABOUT THIS FIGHT...!!! Going to watch it right now......

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Karps TA
06-02-2008, 04:58 PM
hopefully your DVR caught it. Fight ended later then scheduled.

Yooformula
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
screw that nonsense. The WEC card last night was good! The maeda fight and Pulver/Faber fights were really good!

Car Guy
06-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Just watched it on YouTube, comments to come later tonight after we get back from Fujiyama...!!! :headbang

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

lordairgtar
06-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I did not watch it.

T-Bag
06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
That broadcast was God AWFUL. Elite XC / CBS couldn't put up a broadcast to save their lives. there was a total of like 5 minutes of action in the first 70 minutes of the show...******* terrible. Since this was on broadcast TV the refs were very quick to stop matches...and the thing went 50 minutes into overtime due to the shithole scheduling and commercials. Kimbo is highly over rated...although he did show some improvement by trying some submissions (but failing miserably). Maybe if he fought some REAL fighters they would show just how over rated he is.

CBS isn't going to pick up another show, count on it. It was terrible. UFC does all their own production and looked lightyears ahead of this shithole.

Yooformula
06-02-2008, 05:30 PM
ditto was he /\ said!!! The WEC event was very UFC'ish and looked very good. If you didnt catch it, you missed a bunch of good fights.

Karps TA
06-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't know I've seen several UFC PPV's and not thought they were that much better. But then again I hate the rolling on the mat stuff. Plus I prefer watching heavyweights over guys that are like 150lbs. The heavyweight fights I've seen on UFC are usually crappy. The Tim Silva guy makes me want to go to sleep when he fights.

Now granted I watched it at a bar, so I wasn't paying as much attention to the actual broadcast but it didn't make me not want to watch.

I'm sure just being a casual fan I'm missing something. I can't tell the difference between world cup soccer and the pee wee league either. lol

badass88gt
06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I think Thompson should have laid the ref out for stopping it. He called the fight while the dude was still swinging, he was far from done IMO. I think it would have been a different outcome had the fight gone on.

Kimbo taking a beating (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CKb1jeg-fgI)

70challenger452
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
to me it looked like thompson was so out of it and concussed that he really couldn't fight after those last couple pops kimbo got on him

Rocket Power
06-02-2008, 08:40 PM
This was the first MMA fight I've watched. I had heard about Kimbo from a guy at work who showed us some vids on youtube. My DVR skills are weak, I missed the kimbo fight and had to see it on you tube today. I did see the chick fight though.:thumbsup

theavenger333
06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
i'm not huge into UFC and MMA and such, but i've heard about Slice a lot, and watched my fair share of fights. for it being his 3rd fight, i thought he did pretty well. his ground game is weak, but it showed at times he was learning. for only taking this stuff up a few years ago or less, he's doing well. if you get stuck standing up, that guy will demolish you. i thought the fight shoulda kept going, but Slice was gonna really start crushing his ear more. a few more shots like Thompson took, he'd be down.

1siksrt
06-02-2008, 09:21 PM
He can fight standing up with the best of them, but he does not have any ground skills at all and any of the dominant ground fighters will whoop him unless he gets one...

spooln30
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
That fight was rigged!!!!! Kimbo is that leagues guy to help make it popular.
I know that fight was fixed, if you look at the end of the second round when that nasty eared fighter had Kimbo in a half guard with his arms pined and giving him those semi hard elbows it should have been stopped. UFC and WEC it would have. Then the ref gave the hand movements and told Kimbo to look busy, thats when I knew it was all f^%ked up.
All of his fights that are on you tube, were it looks like he is REALLY good, he fights people that REALLY suck. Kimbo Sucks PERIOD!!

Urijah Faber is the one to look out for!!!!

DirtyMax
06-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I couldn't stop looking at that dude's cauliflower ear... :puke

Truth be told, I enjoy Kimbo's youtube backyard brawls much more. The most interesting thing is that he's actually really intelligent. In summary, if I ever hit the Powerball, I know who will be in my entourage... :thumbsup

T-Bag
06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
That fight was rigged!!!!! Kimbo is that leagues guy to help make it popular.
I know that fight was fixed, if you look at the end of the second round when that nasty eared fighter had Kimbo in a half guard with his arms pined and giving him those semi hard elbows it should have been stopped. UFC and WEC it would have. Then the ref gave the hand movements and told Kimbo to look busy, thats when I knew it was all f^%ked up.
All of his fights that are on you tube, were it looks like he is REALLY good, he fights people that REALLY suck. Kimbo Sucks PERIOD!!

Urijah Faber is the one to look out for!!!!

There has been a lot of speculation that the fight was rigged....and many feel that Kimbo even tapped out. I'm not even going to open that can of worms.

He's an excellent stand-up boxer, but he has a lot to work on with his ground game. He's pretty one dimensional at this point.

ponyride00
06-03-2008, 01:48 AM
Kimbo did tap. That fight was stupid. It should not have been stopped when it did. Kimbo needs a lot of conditioning because the dude couldnt breath half way through the first round. JMO

Rocket Power
06-03-2008, 06:06 AM
As an admitted newb in watching this style stuff. Even though you need a ground game ,the ground stuff is boring. I like seeing them standing up and beating each other other up.

twirkin50
06-03-2008, 08:02 AM
It is hard to compare UFC to Elite XC. There are so many now trying to be like the UFC that is just can't be done. It is like comparing the NFL to the XFL league, you can't top the original. Pride Fighting has been around for a while and still doesn't have the fan base that the UFC has recently attained. Yeah, its great to be able to watch fights on regular TV instead of PPV's, but you get what you pay for. The Elite XC fights except a few showed there lack of skill and conditioning. I on the other hand do not like the heavy weight fights. No ground game and usually horrible conditioning. Anything below the 205 class is great action especially the 155. They are lightning quick with submissions and takedowns, always good entertainment.
So overall I don't see Elite XC on TV lasting very long. I will maybe DVR it and skip all the boring stuff, but either way its not the same without Joe Rogan.

wheelsofsteel
06-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Of course UFC looks light years ahead of EliteXC....because they have been around light years longer. UFC has over 80 main events under their belt, not including the "Fight Night Live" events. I didn't think it was to bad of a show for it's 1st one. Yeah, I could do away with the cheerleaders (leave them for football and basketball) and live mini concerts but overall was decent in my opinion. Yes, to long time fans the begining was boring. But on the same token I liked that they explained terms and names of moves etc to try to educate the "new fans" as probably 40% of the people that watched were new fans and never ordered a UFC PPV in their life.
As much as Dana White made fun of and talked trash about this event...I guarantee his PPV sales will jump considerably for his next PPV and the ones in the future.

I am with Twirkin50, as much as I am a Kimbo Slice fan I am really not into heavyweights either. We are talking 235-265lbs guys here. You will never find a well conditioned fighter at that weight that will last 5 5min rounds. Ain't gonna happen. Anyone that watched the Faber vs Pulver fight would have seen the best conditioned 145lbs fighters in the world just whooped after 5 5min rounds. Adding a 100+lbs to that...forget about it.

Yes, Kimbo still needs to work on his ground skills. They have improved, you have to admit that. But not to the point of being effective. He attempted a few submissions but did not have the skill/knowledge to round third base and head for home plate with them. But his stand up and bang is dangerous. It may have been stopped early. I think James was rocked bad and was only 1-2 shots away from completely KO'd but due to is being national televised I believe there was instructions to not let the general public see it get to that point, unfortunately.

Lash
06-03-2008, 09:19 AM
The fight was rigged....nuff said.

Same with the Lawler fight. Scott Smith got screwed.

EliteXC FTL!

twirkin50
06-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Had Big Jon McCarthy been shoved in the face like that after a stoppage he would have laid the guy out.

wheelsofsteel
06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
The fight was rigged....nuff said.

Yeah, ok. It was stopped to early....1 over hand right to early. Thompson was not recovering from those shots. Appearantly you didnt watch the slow motion replay where his eyes were so crossed you didnt know where he was looking.

You will forever be bitter until he loses. Then you will have your glory.

twirkin50
06-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah, Thompson was not recovering from those shots. Appearantly you didnt watch the slow motion replay where his eyes were so crossed you didnt know where he was looking.

He was done! He couldn't see straight at all, not to mention his ear looked like a golf ball.

Lash
06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, ok. It was stopped to early....1 over hand right to early. Thompson was not recovering from those shots. Appearantly you didnt watch the slow motion replay where his eyes were so crossed you didnt know where he was looking.

You will forever be bitter until he loses. Then you will have your glory.

2+ minutes of elbows dropping on your head/face while in the crucifix position does not warrant a stoppage? Lets not get into the Guillotine where he taped....oh wait I'm sorry....he was just giving a thumbs down or so he says.
4:50 in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jn8X0rDsQ&feature=related

You can even see Thompson ***** to the reff that he tapped shortly after.

He's their golden boy money maker. They keep throwing shitty fighters in front of him to make it seem like he's the best fighter in the world. The minute Bimbo is exposed....the money train stops...and you know it.

Elite is a digrace to MMA.

Karps TA
06-03-2008, 11:55 AM
So they are wrong to try and make money and build their federation promoting a fighter that they know the GENERAL audience would be interested in seeing?

95% of America couldn't pick out a MMA fighter in a lineup. Kimbo is a draw. And they are using him as such. I don't see that as a problem. It made me make sure I was watching it.

Lots of people I know who would never watch a MMA PPV were tuning in. That's not a bad thing. Had they had on tv a bunch of 145lb guys rolling around on the floor, the general public would have turned the channel. Cause the only people who like that are the purists who understand the sport.

It was the same for boxing when it was huge. The big draw was the heavyweights. Nobody gave much of a damn about the smaller fighters. It's just not interesting for most people.

wheelsofsteel
06-03-2008, 11:55 AM
They keep throwing shitty fighters in front of him to make it seem like he's the best fighter in the world.

Not this again. So who should he fight then?!?!?!

Cryptic
06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Kimbo taking a beating (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CKb1jeg-fgI)

these guys had maaaybe 2 minutes worth of conditioning in them :punch:

T-Bag
06-03-2008, 01:08 PM

You're right here...there is nobody in Elite XC for him to fight. The promotion is garbage. I also could never see Kimbo in the UFC...they already have their big gimmick draw in Brock Lesnar. However, Lesnar is actually talented and well conditioned also a nation wrestling champion. Basically Kimbo will dominate Elite XC until a woman defeats him...because that's all that was worth a shit besides the middleweight fight until it was stopped early for a completley bullshit reason.

Holy rant

TL:DR

Elite XC = Junk
Lesnar > Slice

Lash
06-03-2008, 01:15 PM

Lets look at who's he's beaten...

Bo Cantrell
Is this guy even a real mma fighter???

Tank Abbott 9-14
Now has lost 8 of his last 9 fights ALL in the first round

James Thompson
Has lost 7 of his last 9 fights. Only 2 went past the first round

Who would I like to see him fight?
Well...out of EliteXC's handfull of mediocre fighter (at best)
http://www.elitexc.com/fighter/show/antoniosilva
http://www.elitexc.com/fighter/show/brettrogers

It's time to quit the bullshit.

twirkin50
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
95% of America couldn't pick out a MMA fighter in a lineup. Kimbo is a draw. And they are using him as such. I don't see that as a problem. It made me make sure I was watching it.

Chuck Liddell.........Nuff said.

GSP could probably take out Kimbo, he showed me nothing in that fight. Even Brock Lesner would have a good chance against Kimbo and his lack of conditioning. Kimbo is a lot like Houston Alexander, strength in the stand up, but no ground game.

twirkin50
06-03-2008, 02:44 PM
You're right here...there is nobody in Elite XC for him to fight. The promotion is garbage. I also could never see Kimbo in the UFC...they already have their big gimmick draw in Brock Lesnar. However, Lesnar is actually talented and well conditioned also a nation wrestling champion. Basically Kimbo will dominate Elite XC until a woman defeats him...because that's all that was worth a shit besides the middleweight fight until it was stopped early for a completley bullshit reason.

Holy rant

TL:DR

Elite XC = Junk
Lesnar > Slice

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Karps TA
06-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Chuck Lidell what? You think he's a household name and face? I don't think so.

I would be willing to bet more people know Kimbo Slice after this weekend then who know Lidell who's been a poster boy for UFC for quite a while.

Lash
06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
I would be willing to bet more people know Kimbo Slice after this weekend then who know Lidell who's been a poster boy for UFC for quite a while.

And thats EXACTLY why it's bad for MMA.

Karps TA
06-03-2008, 03:36 PM
How is getting people interested in the sport bad? You don't think UFC's PPV numbers will go up because of this? It brought in new viewers who may have never bothered giving the sport a chance. Those people may have really enjoyed it, despite the hardocre MMA guys thinking it was garbage.

As I said before, as a casual fan I enjoyed it. It won't change my viewing habits cause I'd never order a PPV anyways, the bar I go to shows them for free. But I'm betting there's plenty of people who will.

I'm entertained as long as 1 guy isn't trying to stick his balls in the other guys face, or taking his innocence from behind. As soon as they start getting a little too Kama Sutra for me, I gotta turn the channel. lol

wheelsofsteel
06-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Lets look at who's he's beaten...

Bo Cantrell
Is this guy even a real mma fighter???

Tank Abbott 9-14
Now has lost 8 of his last 9 fights ALL in the first round

James Thompson
Has lost 7 of his last 9 fights. Only 2 went past the first round

Who would I like to see him fight?
Well...out of EliteXC's handfull of mediocre fighter (at best)
http://www.elitexc.com/fighter/show/antoniosilva
http://www.elitexc.com/fighter/show/brettrogers

It's time to quit the bullshit.

Let not forget he also beat Ray Mercer. Hahahahaha

Chances are he will be fighting either Brett Rogers or Antonio Silva next. But everyone is STILL going to hear the gripe that "Brett Roger is a nobody... blah, blah, blah. I wanna see him fight a real fighter, etc".

wheelsofsteel
06-03-2008, 04:26 PM
However, Lesnar is actually talented and well conditioned also a nation wrestling champion.
Lesnar > Slice

I can tell... he lost to an announcer. :rolf

twirkin50
06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Chuck Lidell what? You think he's a household name and face? I don't think so.

Are you serious???

Randy Couture and Chuck Lidell are WAY more well known than Kimbo.

I am not going to go back and forth over it.

For the casual watchers, stick to Spike TV for UFC Unleashed or Friday Night Fights. If your bored and are looking for an amatuerish at best showing watch Elite XC.

badass88gt
06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Here are the 3 links for the whole fight, where did Kimbo supposedly tap out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jn8X0rDsQ&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mBs9hU-pDQ&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2EaMr5F_o0&feature=user

Karps TA
06-03-2008, 04:36 PM
You only say that cause you are a fan. Actually talk to someone working in a corporate office if they know who Randy Corture is. They won't. I'm a huge football fan and I bet there's a ton of guys I would think are well known that people would have no idea who they are.

You are completely missing the point.

HP ADDICT
06-03-2008, 04:55 PM
221 first round i think

T-Bag
06-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I can tell... he lost to an announcer. :rolf

He lost to a former heavyweight champion who is fighting for the championship again come this fall. Mir had a downfall after losing the belt but he's still leaps and bounds ahead of what Kimbo is.

Mir got lucky, or Brock got overconfident...or both.

Winning against tank abbott is a real accomplishment amirite?

HP ADDICT
06-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Are you serious???

Randy Couture and Chuck Lidell are WAY more well known than Kimbo.

I am not going to go back and forth over it.

For the casual watchers, stick to Spike TV for UFC Unleashed or Friday Night Fights. If your bored and are looking for an amatuerish at best showing watch Elite XC.

Agreed! Hell even the girls know them from the whole affliction product line.

Lash
06-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Here are the 3 links for the whole fight, where did Kimbo supposedly tap out?

4:50 in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jn8...eature=related

You can even see Thompson ***** to the reff that he tapped shortly after.

HP ADDICT
06-03-2008, 07:24 PM
My fault not 2:21 but 2:47 left in the first round.

Fast SVT
06-03-2008, 08:17 PM
I watched the vid, kimbo DID not tap, you have to be out to get the guy if you think he tap'd. I've seen fighters tap and they do not usually give a thumbs up to say they are done.

With that said kimbo needs to fight someone with some skill and work on his ground game. This fight showed how one dimensional kimbo is.

And yes it got stopped early, but probably only 1-2 punches early.

twirkin50
06-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Agreed! Hell even the girls know them from the whole affliction product line.

Thank you!! :thumbsup

The point I had is there is getting to be WAY too many Ultimate Fighting Shows, and the newer one's are lacking talented fighters making the sport look like a joke.

Lash
06-03-2008, 09:05 PM
the newer one's are lacking talented fighters making the sport look like a joke.

QFT!

T-Bag
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
After watching the video a couple times it doesn't look like Kimbo tapped. He was about 6 inches away from his arm and just kind of giving a thumbs up or something.

wheelsofsteel
06-04-2008, 09:07 AM
He lost to a former heavyweight champion who is fighting for the championship again come this fall. Mir had a downfall after losing the belt but he's still leaps and bounds ahead of what Kimbo is.

Mir got lucky, or Brock got overconfident...or both.

Winning against tank abbott is a real accomplishment amirite?

We'll talk about after Brocks next (weak azz) fight. Where they throw a nobody at him. So then all the Kimbo fans can say the same thing we have been hearing, "he beat a nobody, wait until he fights a real fighter..."

OR

If he loses again he will be chewed up and spit out of the UFC like Cro Cop did.

T-Bag
06-04-2008, 04:52 PM
We'll talk about after Brocks next (weak azz) fight. Where they throw a nobody at him. So then all the Kimbo fans can say the same thing we have been hearing, "he beat a nobody, wait until he fights a real fighter..."

OR

If he loses again he will be chewed up and spit out of the UFC like Cro Cop did.

Herring has a 28-13 record and is a far more formidable opponent than any of the garbage that Kimbo has fought. Another problem in general is there is a severe lack of legit heavyweights.

I will have to agree with you that Lesnar is all but dead if he loses this fight.

Fast SVT
06-04-2008, 05:43 PM
These guys are trying to jump in the game too fast.

Lash
06-04-2008, 06:14 PM
We'll talk about after Brocks next (weak azz) fight. Where they throw a nobody at him.

1. I would hardly call Herring a 'nobody'.

2. Chew up and spit Cro Cop out? He never wanted to fight in the UFC to begin with. That was a LARGE part of the problem. You can not deny that his is still one of the better fighters in the world.

Yooformula
06-04-2008, 08:28 PM
lets not forget that the fights Cro Cop faced here in teh states were CLEAN unlike the fights abroad where he could juice hard. I dont care how bad he didnt want to fight here, you dont stand there and take a beating just because you dont like the company. Hell even Tito put up a fight on his last fight.

wheelsofsteel
06-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Chew up and spit Cro Cop out? He never wanted to fight in the UFC to begin with. That was a LARGE part of the problem. You can not deny that his is still one of the better fighters in the world.

Actually I was excited to see Cro Cop join the UFC. Although was super disappointed that his stay wasn't longer then it was.

If he didn't want to fight in the UFC then why did he?!?!?!
I don't want to work at Ponderosa therefore I don't. Sounds pretty simple to me.

twirkin50
06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
I dont care how bad he didnt want to fight here, you dont stand there and take a beating just because you dont like the company. Hell even Tito put up a fight on his last fight.

:thumbsup

T-Bag
06-05-2008, 03:14 PM
I was listening to Opie and Anthony yesterday morning and Tito Ortiz was a guest promoting his new book. I laughed pretty hard when he said "I lost my last fight to a guy that ran from me for 3 rounds"...and how the UFC has a cease on his book because the cover has him with the UFC Light Heavyweight belt on. So pick up the book now because it is going to be printed with a different cover. Dana White = Tool