PDA

View Full Version : Get 50mpg from your car! Today!

Prince Valiant
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Okay...probably not really.

But this article does give plenty of good tips on how you can improve your mileage. The guy in the article has been verified to get as much as 50+mpg from his Honda Accord 4 banger.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/Get50MpgInYourOwnCar.aspx?

He's also the founder of http://www.cleanmpg.com

Understand, I don't endorse all his techniques, but I leave it for you to decide what you are willing to do to cut your fuel bill...

When he owned an insight, he set the record for greatest number of miles on a tank (1250+ for a ~ 120mpg average) and set the highest mileage on a closed loop course at 165mpg (for the record, my highest ever, non-loop was 96.5mpg over a similar distance of 17.5 miles).

I've been doing many of the stuff on a couple different vehicles I've had to use over the past few months...with surprising results:

My brothers v6 sebring sedan normally gets ~24mpg mixed with his driving, I was able to average ~34mpg.

A dodge Durango rental (4.7 310hp SOHC v8, 2WD), rated for 21mpg on the hwy, I pulled down 27.5mpg from Kenosha to my house (~40 miles) tailing a slow semi...averaged almost 23mpg over 200 miles of mixed-but-mostly hwy driving.

Another rental, a nissan altima 2.5S (2.5 4 cylinder, CVT auto), I pulled down 38mpg mixed/mostly hwy driving for a three day period (~300 miles).

Of course, the insight is driven using these techniques, and I routinely pull down 65-75mpg in that...but have gotten into the 80+mpg even more frequently this year.

Use it for what it's worth, bash it, whatever...it's out there, and it does work.

theavenger333
05-30-2008, 08:29 PM
most of what he reccommends is common sense, do'nt have extra weight, etc. if you're truly a "hyper miler" then yeah you do some stupid stuff. i'm not suprised at the numbers out of the accord, my 92 got 45mpg one trip going home from Platteville. i was way early, so i went 65 on the dot the whole way, plus that car had a ported head and all kinds of flow stuff. worked out great

Firefighter Z
05-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I got 330 miles on a tank from Milwaukee to Gladstone, MI (U.P) @ 70mph with minimal drafting and I also drove around some in MI before I had to fill up. This was in my 3.4L 2003 Impala

Prince Valiant
05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
if you're truly a "hyper miler" then yeah you do some stupid stuff.Personally, I don't hypermile the way these guys do...but I do drive differently with gas mileage in mind.

I tend to tail slow semi's, roughly a second and a half back (generally safe distance).
I pump the air in the insight to 45psi.
It has automatic shut-off, plus keeps my oil primed for restart, so I don't have to worry about turning the car off.
I rarely go below the speed limit...generally at to 5 mph over.
I do allow speed to bleed off on hills in which I know there is a downside to pick-back-up speed again with no throttle changes.
And when I do go up long hills, I don't let my speed go below 5-7mph lower than when I started up it.

True hypermilers tend to:
Drive 45-50 mph even when the rest of traffic is doing 80 :wooo
Inflate their tires to 65psi :punch:
Tail semi's at distance of around 20 feet :alcoholic
Manually shut off their car coming up to stop signs where they can coast for long distances :loser
Manually shut their car off on long down hill's :chair:
Roll through as many stop signs at 15mph as they can :nutkick
Take every corner as fast as they can to reduce the need to acclerate thus burn more gas :durr

That's not everything dumb they do...but certainly a sampling of the dumbest things they do.

Rocket Power
05-30-2008, 11:13 PM
While drafting:goof my friends enclosed car trailer to Norwalk my Pickup got 20 mpg both ways. The best it ever got other than that is 17 going up to Eagle River. I did it last year with my wagon and got 25 when it usually gets 18 with a mix, when he told me I was going to have to chip in for his gas if I was going to keep doing it I backed off:rolf

Goat Roper
05-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Gotta love drafting, the Suburban pulled 24 mpg for 200 miles while drafting a semi and 20 mph tail wind.

lordairgtar
05-31-2008, 12:14 AM
Manually shut off their car coming up to stop signs where they can coast for long distances :loser
Manually shut their car off on long down hill's :chair:

Not good if you have a steer by wire car.:durr:drool:

Prince Valiant
05-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Not good if you have a steer by wire car.:durr:drool:That's an interesting question....what do drive-by-wire cars do? There has to be some built in safety mechanism there...what if a fuse failed?

nitrous
05-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Tuff shit.

forest
06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
That's an interesting question....what do drive-by-wire cars do? There has to be some built in safety mechanism there...what if a fuse failed?

in a GM drive by wire only means that the throttle is controlled by wire, not steering, same with Ford and Dodge.