PDA

View Full Version : computer gurus

05caddyext
05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Anyone know of any good FREE registry cleaners for windows xp sp2? My computer is soooo slow and I have run spyware programs and clean every frew days. Also have Norton 360, updated, current. Need a good registry cleaner

wikked
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
me... but I'm not free :goof

This should take care of ya:
http://www.download.com/TweakNow-RegCleaner-Standard/3000-2094_4-10628251.html?tag=lst-7

It's probably not your registry though... but it doesn't hurt.

PM me if you wish to seek my incredibly cheap services. :]

Josepy
05-29-2008, 11:59 AM
yeah me im not free either. but cheap. ive done 14 computer in the last 3 weeks alone.

05caddyext
05-29-2008, 07:16 PM
How much are we talking to have one of you guys go through it? What I would really like to do is do a full recovery of my hard-drive. Problem- computer didn't come with restore discs and the computer no longer allows me to run the restore program. I have a partition on my hard-drive that has all the stuff on it, just can't run it. I just installed 2 more gigs of ram, now has 4 total. What really takes forever is the start-up process.

CPonyGo
05-29-2008, 08:17 PM
dump Norton and run avg free.....its a step in the right direction

ND4SPD
06-03-2008, 09:58 AM
How much are we talking to have one of you guys go through it? What I would really like to do is do a full recovery of my hard-drive. Problem- computer didn't come with restore discs and the computer no longer allows me to run the restore program. I have a partition on my hard-drive that has all the stuff on it, just can't run it. I just installed 2 more gigs of ram, now has 4 total. What really takes forever is the start-up process.

I have recovery software that can get just about anything off of a crashed hard drive as long as the drive controller is intact and functioning properly (not making the click of death). If it's not functioning, then I have to send it out to a clean room and that can run $600+ (which, believe it or not, is a smoking deal since a lot of places charge $1500+ to recover a drive). I don't charge anything if the recovery can't be done for whatever reason.

If your drive is doing this:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc93/xND4SPDx/Miscellaneous/th_HD.jpg (http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc93/xND4SPDx/Miscellaneous/?action=view&current=HD.flv)

Then it needs to be sent out to a clean room for disassembly and recovery.

I'm not sure if we're supposed to be advertising rates and so forth so if you want, PM me and I will try to give you an estimate for recovering/reloading your drive.

modmachz
06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Donny Here,

Ok Got The new Battery and Installed It and It seems To work, However when you take it off a/c power it discharges as it should, But when you hook it back to a/c power it continues to discharge battery.
I would think on A/c it should charge battery? Heres the kicker, when you shut it off for the nite it will charge to 100%. Its when you take it off a/c and than put it back on it keeps discharging..

Geek Squad said they have no clue, But It never did this before, They Said It absolutley has nothing to do what they did! Could this be a setting?

Thanks...
Donny...

wikked
06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I have recovery software that can get just about anything off of a crashed hard drive as long as the drive controller is intact and functioning properly (not making the click of death). If it's not functioning, then I have to send it out to a clean room and that can run $600+ (which, believe it or not, is a smoking deal since a lot of places charge $1500+ to recover a drive). I don't charge anything if the recovery can't be done for whatever reason.

If your drive is doing this:
<snip>

Then it needs to be sent out to a clean room for disassembly and recovery.

I'm not sure if we're supposed to be advertising rates and so forth so if you want, PM me and I will try to give you an estimate for recovering/reloading your drive.

$600-$1500...

I can usually save the data on them, even if they're clicking... for 1/10th the price :P

Cryptic
06-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I can usually save the data on them, even if they're clicking... for 1/10th the price :P

I'd like some details on this... I have a ticking hard drive that has pictures on it that I'd like to recover.

I've tried the usual software solutions.

ND4SPD
06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
$600-$1500...

Without a clean room... I'd like to see that.:goof When it clicks it's usually because the geometry area has been destroyed or there's something mechanically (or electrically) wrong with the drive. And to do that without opening the drive... for $60 to $150? riiiiiiight... where's that B.S. flag....

Cryptic, can you upload a video of your drive clicking? If it is the actual click of death and Wikked can really do this... well, let me just say I'd be astonished.

wrath
06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Without a clean room... I'd like to see that.:goof When it clicks it's usually because the geometry area has been destroyed or there's something mechanically (or electrically) wrong with the drive. And to do that without opening the drive... for $60 to $150? riiiiiiight... where's that B.S. flag....

Cryptic, can you upload a video of your drive clicking? If it is the actual click of death and Wikked can really do this... well, let me just say I'd be astonished.

You don't need a clean room to work on harddrives. It just means that it's a terminal drive.

Cryptic
06-04-2008, 12:21 AM

I assure you its the click of death.
Its a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB ATA/133

Syclone0044
06-04-2008, 12:52 AM

I have to concur. I would also be astonished. I've had customers who paid the $600-$1500 to recover data and I know what's involved. The pros have stockpiles of all kinds of hard drive makes & models so they can swap parts like a doctor doing surgery. That's the real hard-core data recovery.

A lot of times you can recover data just by doing nondestructive reads to the drive with commonly available undelete or disk scanning software like "GetDataBack" for FAT32 or NTFS, I suspect that is the type of recovery Wikked is doing.

wikked
06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
A lot of times you can recover data just by doing nondestructive reads to the drive with commonly available undelete or disk scanning software like "GetDataBack" for FAT32 or NTFS, I suspect that is the type of recovery Wikked is doing.

negative :]

I'm not saying what I do is a 100% solution, or you can get 100% of your data backed up, but if there is some must have data, it's absolutely possible.

I'd rather not give my secret out either, I'm poor as it is :]

-BCM trial offer-
$60 if I can recover what you want.
$0 if I can't.

No Mac's, I don't do Mac's :P

win/win! (except Mac's)

wrath
06-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I'll do OSX Macs. It'll depend on how much work I have to do to get the disk out as to how much it'll cost. If I don't have to fish out the disk same rate as wikked. It takes 1.5 hours to get the disk out of an iBook for example.

Speaking of iBooks, the disks in them are junk (tend to be Toshiba) and most of the early iBook G4s started dying about 18 months ago. These disks tend to be pretty much junk. When they die usually the components are broken or the feet get stuck to the disk.

I'll do SCSI, SAS, and striped disks also. However, it's by the hour and in the case of a striped disk you're probably better off sending it off to someone who does it for a living. The last time I tried recovering a RAID5 array it took me 12 hours and I only got half the data back.

ND4SPD
06-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I'm sure if I search google or YouTube long enough I'll find it. I highly doubt you're the innovator of some new inexpensive recovery technique (otherwise you wouldn't be poor). First you were saying you could "usually" (which means most of the time)... now it sounds like more of a dice roll as to whether it works or not. Which is it? Oh, and if it's the old "throw it in the freezer trick"... or Scott Moulton's DEFCON 14 presentation... there's nothing "secret" about those things.

negative :]

I'm not saying what I do is a 100% solution, or you can get 100% of your data backed up, but if there is some must have data, it's absolutely possible.

I'd rather not give my secret out either, I'm poor as it is :]

-BCM trial offer-
$60 if I can recover what you want.
$0 if I can't.

No Mac's, I don't do Mac's :P

win/win! (except Mac's)

xxsn0blindxx
06-05-2008, 02:41 PM
I used to do this kind of stuff and there really isn't any way (aside fro ma dedicated data recovery company) to get data off of a physically failing drive other than to get a good data restoration utility and have persistently attempt to read the sectors and recover data. Some will say putting the drive in the freezer works, but of the dozens of drives I've worked on this has only been successful once and it was tedious because the drives warm up pretty quickly. If you're lucky and can find an identical drive you can swap the controller board and if you're really desperate some of the internal components, but you risk contamination unless in a clean room environment. Of course this only works if the platters aren't messed up.

boostaddict14
06-05-2008, 02:47 PM
best fix= stop watching so much pron