PDA

View Full Version : gen 1 sbc

sloLs1
05-28-2008, 08:28 PM
how horsepower can a stock 2 bolt bottom end gen 1 sbc handle?? i've read 450hp and if you put arp studs on the rods you can achieve 500hp..... is that correct or??? mind you this motor wouldnt see more than 6500rpms.....

wrath
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I ran a 383 with a scat crank with ARP studs on everything and el-cheapo Speed-pro hypeucraptic pistons. 415hp to the rubber and 640hp to the rubber on dual-stage 250 shot.

I don't know the longevity as I didn't keep the truck. Just about anything that could be ground on with a die grinder was ground on.

Get it balanced, they'll take a lot of abuse. Don't cheap out on springs, oil pump, and oil pump shaft.

Syclone0044
05-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Go For It!! I think you're just the kind of guy to find out the real answer!!! :thumbsup :headbang I bet they would take 800 HP from a turbo for some period of time with good gas and careful tuning but that's just a guess.

sloLs1
05-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Go For It!! I think you're just the kind of guy to find out the real answer!!! :thumbsup :headbang I bet they would take 800 HP from a turbo for some period of time with good gas and careful tuning but that's just a guess.

i wish it would be from a turbo! that would prolly make more power for a longer period of time than the way im doing it! but i definatly hear yea on finding out how it'll take! i will definatly need video cameras at the track for that!

Prince Valiant
05-29-2008, 01:03 PM
You could probably do some cheap stuff to increase the strength a bit...filling the block to the freeze plugs never hurts of course. Not sure, but you could probably find a main cap girdle for the thing...I'd imagine one for a 4 bolt would also fit a two bolt. Those two things right there could probably enhance your strength considerably, plus going with studs/vs bolts.

Also, you could always convert a two bolt to a four bolt...and have them splayed in the process...but heck, for about the same price you could probably find a stout seasoned block that's already to go, maybe for less.

juicedimpss
05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
^^^

best,cheapest insurance is going to be a stud kit and a short fill of hard blok

sloLs1
05-29-2008, 06:01 PM
hmmm.... might just have to see what a "stock" bottom end will hold! :rolf

i do want to put studs in though and mayeb a girdle...