PDA

View Full Version : cable tv/dsl service change

u_say_go
05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
I am tired of paying $60 for a phone line that we NEVER use, so I am dropping it soon; problem is, I need a phone line for my DSL internet service. I currently use Dish Network for my television viewing pleasure, and I'm tired of them too- whenever there's a storm cloud anywhere near the house, we lose reception.
SO, I checked out our local cable tv/internet company and they have a fairly decent deal going on now.
Have any of you dealt with Charter Communications? Good experience? Bad?
Opinions on DSL Vs. Cable internet?

badass88gt
05-27-2008, 05:38 PM
We had Charter for years, I was constantly bitching about them until I finally got rid of them to get Dish Network. Charter was ungodly expensive for everything I wanted with HD, DVR, etc.

xxtremeteam
05-27-2008, 06:43 PM
we are dumping time warner cable and road runner and going with the at&t deal phone/internet/digital cable over 160.00 a month same options through at&t and dish net work under 120.00 a month and thats more channels and two tvs hooked up instead of one with cable

T-Bag
05-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Check and see if u-verse is available in your area

uverse.att.com

All digital, more HD channels than Time Warner and a lot better standard definition picture quality. Also cheaper.

Best part is with U-verse TV/DSL you don't need to have and active phone line...just a line running to your house.

If it is available, help a brother out and throw me a referral

Referral ID: ts546f

GRAMPS SS
05-27-2008, 06:56 PM
good luck with the uverse cable tv hookup.....were still waiting...........3 weeks now...but we have internet...:thumbsup

the internet is great...no complaints at ALL...phone works.:thumbsup....cable....yea right,....still have TW for that.....:thumbsup

shoooo32
05-28-2008, 08:17 AM
u-verse is worth the wait. its cheaper than time warner and its standard internet is faster IMO

946speedz
05-28-2008, 08:30 AM
i have dish and dropped my phone line about 8 mos ago, you can still use dsl without a phone line, its called dry loop(i think) just call them up and ask them about dropping your phone line and still using your current internet service i havent had a problem......

H8RADE
05-28-2008, 08:34 AM
ATT is great, when it works.
Their installers are barely trained apes, and expect to be double billed a few times in the initial months.
For our first 2 months, every time ATT pushed an update, all of the hardware boxes needed a hard reset.
ATT ended up giving us 4 months free.
2 of my neighbors had the same deal.
Took 3 days for the idiots to figure out the install, and I had to show them how to set up the wireless router, which was their equipment.
The tech finally handed me the phone and had me talk to their level 3 support, or whatever.
Morons, but a decent service.

T-Bag
05-28-2008, 04:52 PM
ATT is great, when it works.
Their installers are barely trained apes, and expect to be double billed a few times in the initial months.
For our first 2 months, every time ATT pushed an update, all of the hardware boxes needed a hard reset.
ATT ended up giving us 4 months free.
2 of my neighbors had the same deal.
Took 3 days for the idiots to figure out the install, and I had to show them how to set up the wireless router, which was their equipment.
The tech finally handed me the phone and had me talk to their level 3 support, or whatever.
Morons, but a decent service.

When did you have your service installed? I've talked to some of the techs that were hired on when it was initially being launched and they were basically thrown to the sharks right away. Training is a little better now but there is really no better way to learn than actually doing the installs. There are also those that just aren't good at what they do.

That's pretty LOLtastic that they didn't know how to set up the wireless...as everything is written on the back of the gateway.

GRAMPS SS
05-29-2008, 06:23 PM
^^^^^^well....then please explain to me why i'm waiting 4 weeks and two techs later this sat...for my full install....when TW did our install last summer..20 mins and they were done....

Holeshot
05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I dumped Uverse when I moved And I dont miss it at all. I kept the DSL and went back to satellite. As stated above when it did work it was ok But I am much happier with Direct for television. I just has a cell no land line and I have ATT DSL Elite $ 35 a month and my satellite bill is $ 70 a month. That's two HD receivers on is HDVR and on standard box.

T-Bag
05-29-2008, 08:53 PM
^^^^^^well....then please explain to me why i'm waiting 4 weeks and two techs later this sat...for my full install....when TW did our install last summer..20 mins and they were done....

I'm really having a hard time understanding why they are delaying this for so long and why they couldn't hook it up the first time. What have they been telling you, is it still a splitter issue or what?

Are you in an apartment complex or a house?

Also, no offense to the time warner guys...but we do a lot more shit than them to get this thing running. Especially if you are in an apartment complex.

I'm not going to try and convince everyone that U-Verse is the best possible solution for them...but it does work excellent when a.) installed correctly b.) with good signal strength c.) good inside wiring or replacing the IW (rare) or a mixture of the 3.

u_say_go
05-29-2008, 10:56 PM
ok..new question.
do i NEED landline phone service to keep my current AT&T DSL service? At&T says yes- a search on the interweb says NO.

946speedz
05-29-2008, 10:58 PM
i have at&t DSL and do not have a phone line, i believe its referred to as "dry loop" the only thing i dont have now is the ability to order movies directly from my dish box, i have to call them now.......