PDA

View Full Version : Which Fuel at the pump, Ideas/Opinions needed

Smokey1226
05-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Sometime down the road we have to have new pumps put in at our station, which will free up a tank in the ground. Out of all 30 or so fuels i carry im looking for ideas on which fuel you guys think would be the BEST for the general public.

110Leaded is what most guys have at their pump, but after some of the stations i've talked to they got into some trouble after someone turned them in for selling Leaded fuels to vehicles on the road.

So with that in mind, i was thinking 108Unleaded. Has close to the same MON of the 110 Leaded, 100% street Legal, good up to 750hp (depending on tune), and the best part....with bulk pricing its within 60cents/gal to My 110Leaded and 40cents/gal within 100oct Unleaded

The only downside that i can see, some guys with most muscle cars want some sort of leaded fuel. But that all goes back to if i want to chance it or not.

But you guys give me your ideas. I can basically put in any fuel i carry into the ground if i wanted.

Its all at an idea stage but need feedback.

lit666
05-25-2008, 09:30 PM
108 unleaded would be nice, IMO.

I'd buy some of it to if you took the big c0ck out of your sig.

Smokey1226
05-25-2008, 09:32 PM
108 unleaded would be nice, IMO.

I'd buy some of it to if you took the big c0ck out of your sig.

:banana1: Think guys that are looking for leaded fuels would still go with the unleaded?

lit666
05-25-2008, 09:42 PM
:banana1: Think guys that are looking for leaded fuels would still go with the unleaded?

I have no clue, I'm just saying that 108 unleaded would be nice and that I would buy it

Smokey1226
05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Wanna spot me 40G's for new pumps? Ill let you fill up free the whole year!

lit666
05-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Wanna spot me 40G's for new pumps? Ill let you fill up free the whole year!

no :thumbsup

HITMAN
05-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Chad, why don't you go with the 110 leaded, but put a pump handle on it that won't fit a car that uses unleaded gas. Hell, use one that would only fit a big rig type truck. (Go to a truck stop that services over-the-road trucks and you'll know what I'm talking about) That way, the only thing someone will be able to do is fill their jugs. :thumbsup

See, no need to ask anybody else when you have Mr. Know-It-All at your disposal... :rolf

MT98Z
05-25-2008, 11:04 PM
^^^^^^ what he said :headbang

Smokey1226
05-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Very good point, but it would be nice for anyone off the street with a built streetcar to stop on by, fill their car up and driveway 100% legal.

lol i know what kinda handle you are talking about, we have one on our #8 Diesel pump. People complain all the time that it wont fit their little VW Turbo Diesel Bug.

Oh btw: The nice part about it, you will be able to pay at the pump with any Credit or Debt card, and buy it 24/7 with our pumps being on at all times! Some places don't allow that so it would be quite nice.

HITMAN
05-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Very good point, but it would be nice for anyone off the street with a built streetcar to stop on by, fill their car up and driveway 100% legal.

lol i know what kinda handle you are talking about, we have one on our #8 Diesel pump. People complain all the time that it wont fit their little VW Turbo Diesel Bug.

Oh btw: The nice part about it, you will be able to pay at the pump with any Credit or Debt card, and buy it 24/7 with our pumps being on at all times! Some places don't allow that so it would be quite nice.

Question on legality: Are there road taxes paid on the 108 unleaded? If not, then it is just as illegal to put into your road car as the 110 leaded, as I understand it. I know that that is the only real difference between road diesel (green) and off-road diesel (red). I guess the off-road junk is mainly for farmers and their equipment so they get a price break on something that never gets operated on a public highway. (Never you mind about that slow moving, giant heap-of-shit clogging up the two-lane and throwing mud all over your ride while it's in front of you. He's an International Harvester...:punch:)

Actually, the pump handle I'm talking about won't even fit your Dodge. It's about an inch-and-a-half ID, and two of them will dispense about 70 gallons of fuel in about three minutes, give or take. :wow

Anyhow, you might want to check on that before you go ahead and pull the trigger on something that might land you in a pot of hot water, even when you thought it wouldn't.

Smokey1226
05-25-2008, 11:46 PM
Yes i do pay road tax right from torco + .309/gal (fuel tax)

Believe me i did a Sh1t ton of homework before i even got into the race gas setup.
I really think i could talk to the who are Leaded only guys to go with the Unleaded at the pump. And if they only want leaded, thats what Drums are for.

I'd be the only pump in the state to have anything higher than 100oct Unleaded at the pump other than a Race track. or atleast im 99% sure of it.

HITMAN
05-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes i do pay road tax right from torco + .309/gal (fuel tax)

Believe me i did a Sh1t ton of homework before i even got into the race gas setup.
I really think i could talk to the who are Leaded only guys to go with the Unleaded at the pump. And if they only want leaded, thats what Drums are for.

I'd be the only pump in the state to have anything higher than 100oct Unleaded at the pump other than a Race track. or atleast im 99% sure of it.

Well, then you've kind of answered your own question, no?
Actually, while your at filling niches that others haven't, you might want to think about setting up an account with somebody like Puritan-Bennett and refilling nitrous bottles. I know there are a ton of guys that do it in Milwaukee, but I don't think anyone does it out our way. :confused After all, you ARE a CONVENIENCE store, are you not? ;):D

HY35F2T
05-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Question on legality: Are there road taxes paid on the 108 unleaded? If not, then it is just as illegal to put into your road car as the 110 leaded, as I understand it. I know that that is the only real difference between road diesel (green) and off-road diesel (red). I guess the off-road junk is mainly for farmers and their equipment so they get a price break on something that never gets operates on a public highway. (Never you mind about that slow moving, giant heap-of-shit clogging up the two-lane and throwing mud all over your ride while it's in front of you. He's an International Harvester...:punch:)

Actually, the pump handle I'm talking about won't even fit your Dodge. It's about an inch-and-a-half ID, and two of them will dispense about 70 gallons of fuel in about three minutes, give or take. :wow

Anyhow, you might want to check on that before you go ahead and pull the trigger on something that might land you in a pot of hot water, even when you thought it wouldn't.

International Harvester lmfao:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf i hate that song

the leaded gas 24/7 is pretty ****en sweet.:alcoholic

lordairgtar
05-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Whatever you do, don't sell it with that freaking ethanol in it.

70 cutlass 442
05-26-2008, 03:25 AM
unleaded is useless, just burn sell leaded, it will be just fine in the cars that dont need it, plus it wil be good for the guys that do

Smokey1226
05-26-2008, 09:15 AM
unleaded is useless, just burn sell leaded, it will be just fine in the cars that dont need it, plus it wil be good for the guys that do

See this is what i dont understand, other than maybe a little extra lube that the burning lead gives, what positives are you really seeing? I've ran unleaded race fuels in my bike/brothers bike/our muscle car and if you REALLY think there is a big difference your crazy.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Yea I would have thought all those old leaded gas engines had been rebuilt by now and had decent valve guides and hardened valve seats that would work with unleaded gas ? Antiknock properties ?
I would never run leaded gas in my cars, course I dont have a 1970 Roadrunner classic, glad my automobiles do not require boutique fuels.

Smokey1226
05-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Great point, another thing i have to look at is what group of owners will be burning more fuel. While the 70 Roadrunner will want Leaded, how often is it driven. That one tank fillup will last quite a while.

Now i know guys who run through about a barrel of 100unleaded every month.

My dad has a old muscle car, and i see how much it gets driven. (Maybe once a month) so that would be a loseing battle to just go for the Muscle car guys.

Rocket Power
05-26-2008, 10:17 AM
See this is what i dont understand, other than maybe a little extra lube that the burning lead gives, what positives are you really seeing?

It smells good:rolf

Smokey1226
05-26-2008, 10:22 AM
So does all of our Torco/VP unleaded race fuels :thumbsup

shoooo32
05-26-2008, 12:19 PM
bring on the unleaded!!! the old timers can run octane boost or get a valve job.

Smokey1226
05-26-2008, 12:26 PM
lol +1

Rocket Power
05-26-2008, 12:50 PM
So does all of our Torco/VP unleaded race fuels :thumbsup

Well that was my only argument:goof
I have hardened seats so it doesn't matter to me either way. That and gas will be $40/gal by the time my car is ready:rolf

Smokey1226
05-26-2008, 01:06 PM
As long as your doing it the right way, it'll be worth it in the end! I know so many guys who hurried to get their stuff done right away, and now am back with the cars down fixing what they could of done the first time!!!

lilws6
05-26-2008, 10:45 PM
i say unleaded and directions to this gas station lol i would be there alot

lilws6
05-26-2008, 10:46 PM
wait a sec isn't that the shell on 36? i got pulled over at that gas station on the bike a while back when i first got it

HY35F2T
05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
bring on the unleaded!!! the old timers can run octane boost or get a valve job.

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf lead is great for boosted cars though.

Smokey1226
05-27-2008, 09:37 AM
wait a sec isn't that the shell on 36? i got pulled over at that gas station on the bike a while back when i first got it

ya thats ours! lol and i remember a bike getting pulled over lol

Cryptic
05-27-2008, 09:54 AM
leaded I believe has something to do with protection of old school valve seats

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/trek/4wd/lead2.htm

But leaded petrol had even more benefits. As it burns, tetraethyl lead turns into a tan-coloured layer of lead oxide, which covers the valves and the combustion chamber. The valves hit hard against the valve seats several thousand times each minute. The lead oxide acts as a cushioning agent, and protects the valve and the valve seats. The lead oxide is also a lubricating agent. This reduces wear in the valve guides, as the valves slide inside them.

If you start running your old leaded engine on unleaded petrol, the lead oxide quickly wears away. Damage begins, but only if your engine was made with "soft" metallurgy, and only in high-temperature areas - exhaust valves, exhaust valve guides and exhaust valve seats.

Smokey1226
05-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Ya, thats what we were talking about. But as far as a business stand point who do you think i'd sell more too? If i went for the old muscle car guys (leaded fuel) or the street car guys with cats/o2 sensors??

This is what im trying to figure out. I would hate to go with one and then kick myself for not going with the other?

Cryptic
05-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I'd think the market would be bigger for street cars. Sell the lead additive in the shop.

Smokey1226
05-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I'd think the market would be bigger for street cars. Sell the lead additive in the shop.

Great point, i think ill look more into going that route!
Thanks ya :thumbsup

lit666
05-27-2008, 11:50 AM
I rep turtle wax and sell our CD2 lead substitute, let me know if u r interrested

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,2,4

Smokey1226
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
will do, but this is still WAYYYSSSS away. Im just looking into the idea incase the opportunity comes along i did by schooling on it.

lit666
05-27-2008, 11:54 AM
thats fine, just letting u know,

Racer X79
05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I think unleaded is the way to go, and sell lead additive for those who need it/want it. Most people have hardened valve seats by now anyway.

Any chance of a E85 pump so I don't have to go all the way to Burlington??

Berettaspeed
05-27-2008, 04:32 PM
I think you would have more customers with the unleaded gas. there are a bunch of people that still have some O.E parts that wont like the leaded. besides you may have issues with neighbors or other tree hugging groups. I know for sure i will have 2 tunes for my car. either way if you do or dont just a thought. ill have to buy some "race gas" somewhere. honestly the closer the better. I dont drive my car much, so race gas all the time would be neat. hmm or at least a mix. i think that would get expensive fast. LOL

good luck with the idea.

juicedimpss
05-27-2008, 05:27 PM
what do your current fuel drum sales show you?

Smokey1226
05-27-2008, 10:46 PM
what do your current fuel drum sales show you?

It's hard to say. Because of a couple BIG accounts i hooked up with, i would say my 112 is kicking major ass. But that is because 3 major race cars burn through it like crazy. Along with C16, but i cant justify paying $3k+ out of my pocket to get a tanker of C16 delivered!

But everything else, is close. The 100unleaded and the 110 are compareable and the 108 really starting to make a charge even at the high Pail price (which is almost $3/gal more than the 110 pail price)

But with the Bulk 108 price it would be within $.40/gal of the 110 Drum price. So yes it would cost a little extra but for the guys who are buying it right now they would be saving $3/gal! And the 100oct Unleaded buyers could buy the 108unleaded for an extra $.15/gal!!!!

I talked to 2 of my best Muscle car race gas buyers, and they agreed with the idea of Unleaded + the leaded additive. His words "we've had our motors refreshed twice now, and really dont even need the leaded fuels but its nice to have for the old school feel, so the leaded additive would be perfect for us"

GRAMPS SS
05-27-2008, 10:51 PM
wiener head....dont you think 100 unleaded would be the choice of champs...i know i'd be filling up the back of the SUV with gas cans for the northside if you did....then again...maybe 108.....

Smokey1226
05-27-2008, 10:58 PM
wiener head....dont you think 100 unleaded would be the choice of champs...i know i'd be filling up the back of the SUV with gas cans for the northside if you did....then again...maybe 108.....

I agree, but when the 100 and the 108 are fairly close in price, the extra MON that it gives would help guys like J/Wes/Joel/ect ect that are heavily boosted and need an Unleaded fuel.

Wiener <3

GRAMPS SS
05-27-2008, 11:03 PM
now if you put a tank in the ground....how big will it be..and how often will it be topped off...you know moister gets in there ...and i'd hate for you to sell watered down gas..and will you drain it for the winter if it's a small tank........<3

by the way..our 114 is almost gone..have to talk with tim....and your shirts are done i think......even your pretty pink ones just for you....

juicedimpss
05-27-2008, 11:07 PM
derail thread......... do you have any q16 in stock?

Smokey1226
05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
derail thread......... do you have any q16 in stock?

yes probably 6 pails left.

Wayne- The tank is already in the ground, I already know about the moisture issue, and what not...But i would be able to bring in as big or small as load as i would like. I want to plan it so that every month i get a load, and in winter i most likely let it sell out and order fresh in Spring.

lilws6
05-30-2008, 02:37 PM
ya thats ours! lol and i remember a bike getting pulled over lol

yea probably me i was on my way there to get gas and he pulled me over just down the road i told him i was just going to get gas so he followed me there and gave me a fixit ticket for no plate i might have to pick up some 100 unleaded if you got any maybe 108? can you pm me the prices on some of that?

Smokey1226
05-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Ill send ya a PM in about 15 minutes! If that