PDA

View Full Version : E85

GRAMPS SS
05-22-2008, 06:25 PM
NO matter what you think of the gas....i just want some answers to this....E85 the miracle corn gas...wasn't it to be the alteraitve to gas...cheeper then gas..the answer to the oil prices prayers.....so the newer cars and trucks would be better off....i can reCall that they said it would be CHEAPER then regular gas...and BE BETTER to run....

then answer me this....why is when i went to the station today...gas was 3.99 and E85 was 3.80.....19 cent SAVINGS...COME ON ..GIVE ME A FRECKING BREAK....i asked the guy behind the counter...if the E85 is selling..he said very little and the price on it is going up by the weekend....WTF...GOING UP...SO IS REGULAR GAS.....so cheeper will mean 20 cents.....
GRANTED i don't put E85 in any of are cars...iut if i did...19 cents is not going to save my a$$...i say open the oil fields and start pumping out our oil in texas and alaska

Breecher_7
05-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Its still $2.89 by me........

juicedimpss
05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
considering you burn about 30% more,i dont see the savings.

moels
05-22-2008, 06:38 PM
E85 is made from Corn not Gold right? There is a group making some serious profit on their product as well. I'm all for making money, but jeez not by killing the economy.

Karps TA
05-22-2008, 06:52 PM
I've still never even seen an E85 pump.

If it was a $1 cheaper or more I'd try running it. But anything less then that, I'm not willing to take the hit in mileage for it.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Racine has had an ethanol pump for about 2 years, 2 years ago when it first came out I bought a few tank fulls for my flex fuel 00 S10, I sold the truck shortly there after and at that time the E85 was 30 cents cheaper than gasoline.
For about the last year tho I have noticed its only 20 cents cheaper than gasoline.

In Racine if E85 was a dollar cheaper than gasoline I can pretty much guarantee everyone and their brother will be running that crap in any old car and the filling stations would not be able to keep the stuff in stock. I ran E85 in my old Mark 7 a few times, ran fine. I won't buy it for 20 cents less a gallon tho.

badass88gt
05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
E85 is still $2.99 here, for my car its over a dollar cheaper. I'm all for it. I could care less about the politics of it or the food shortage or any of that crap.

Having a carb with replaceable everything I can tune for lambda and I shouldnt see a whole lot of hit for fuel economy.

Generally speaking E85 needs to be .50 a gallon cheaper to break even.

Slow Joe
05-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I saw E85 for 2.79 today in Mayville... :thumbsup :rolf

moels
05-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I saw E85 for 2.79 today in Mayville... :thumbsup :rolf

Joe, I think it's still like 1988 in Mayville. lol

Slow Joe
05-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Joe, I think it's still like 1968 in Mayville. lol

Fixed it :rolf

Smokey1226
05-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Ethanol is on it's way out, when 2 of the Top members on the Supreme Courts want it banned as well as other top officals i dont see it lasting too much longer.

Cryptic
05-22-2008, 11:23 PM
where is the nearest E85 to New Berlin? I never see it.

GRAMPS SS
05-22-2008, 11:26 PM
i just know of the 2 on brown deer road andy,....sorry...

slickwilly
05-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Ethanol is on it's way out, when 2 of the Top members on the Supreme Courts want it banned as well as other top officals i dont see it lasting too much longer.
What's this all about?

Flicktitty
05-23-2008, 12:06 AM
i saw E85 up north for 3.19/Gal. not bad.

it would be cheaper but farmers are asking more for corn now and getting it.

badass88gt
05-23-2008, 05:53 AM
They can make it out of anything, it doesnt have to be corn, and I suspect they will be in the future. It started from corn because there was such a huge abundance of it, but it doesnt have to be corn.

Breecher_7
05-23-2008, 05:57 AM

It needs to be its a bullshit, gimmick fuel that drives up food costs.

**** Ethanol... :flipoff2:

Biodiesel is the answer :thumbsup

Methanol + USED deep fryer oil = Good Fuel....

No inflation causing ingredients....

Unless it drives up a veggie oil prices, and im sure they could justify that SOMEHOW....... :rolleyes:

DRK
05-23-2008, 08:07 AM
so you don't think methanol will go up if demand does?

you haters are a funny bunch, you should all be running nitro-methane. It's obviously superior to gasoline and carries the most BTU's per gallon of any stable liquid fuel.

BTW... your $4.00+ diesel is driving up the cost of food more then diverting less then 5% of the gross national corn production. You all should be more worried about the amount of fresh water being used to make E85 but CNN hasn't told you too yet.

Smokey1226
05-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I seriously wonder why then dont push to convert every vehicle on the road Diesel engine equipped. Start blending large batches of Bio-diesel, and we pay $1.85/pump. The supply on crude oil will be cut largely, the Tree Huggers will all be happy, ULSD, Work something out with all of the Resturants in the country, take their used fryer oil and everyone is happy.

Z28Roxy
05-23-2008, 09:36 AM
It needs to be its a bullshit, gimmick fuel that drives up food costs.

**** Ethanol... :flipoff2:

No inflation causing ingredients....

Unless it drives up a veggie oil prices, and im sure they could justify that SOMEHOW....... :rolleyes:

Sugar ethanol is good........ corn ethanol blows though.

Smokey1226
05-23-2008, 09:40 AM
How are you supposed to bake me cookies if the sugar prices go through the roof?

lit666
05-23-2008, 09:42 AM
I seriously wonder why then dont push to convert every vehicle on the road Diesel engine equipped. Start blending large batches of Bio-diesel, and we pay $1.85/pump. The supply on crude oil will be cut largely, the Tree Huggers will all be happy, ULSD, Work something out with all of the Resturants in the country, take their used fryer oil and everyone is happy.

from my understanding they used old fryer grease to make lip stick. We dont' want to impose on that though.

Z28Roxy
05-23-2008, 09:46 AM
How are you supposed to bake me cookies if the sugar prices go through the roof?

Turn the south into a giant sugar field. There, enough supply to satisfy the demand.

Brazil already uses 20% sugar ethanol or 100% sugar ethanol for their gas. The amount of energy it takes to recover more energy is a LOT more efficient from sugar than it is from corn.

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-23-2008, 10:08 AM
14 pounds of sugar to make a gallon of ethanol, what a waste. Drilling and extracting oil is the real answer for more oil, and fryer oil ? How much fry oil is laying around ?
Fry oil energy policy, for a laugh that beats shrubs switchgrass energy policy.

I did see that backyard ethanol plant for $10k :rolf

Z28Roxy
05-23-2008, 10:28 AM
14 pounds of sugar to make a gallon of ethanol, what a waste. Drilling and extracting oil is the real answer for more oil, and fryer oil ? How much fry oil is laying around ?
Fry oil energy policy, for a laugh that beats shrubs switchgrass energy policy.

I did see that backyard ethanol plant for $10k :rolf

How much oil (other than shale) lies undiscovered/untapped still though?

Not a slam, I just want to know. Yesterday I posted about how much oil there was estimated to be in the ANWR.

And yeah, 14 pounds of sugar = about $3.00, but then there's refining and all that... and it gets less MPG than gasoline.

It could still possibly be made to work though. As said, Brazil does it.

Karps TA
05-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Brazil has maybe a 10th of the traffic we do though. So it's hard to say whether or not it would work here.

Here was a good chart on biofuels and their impact that was on jalponik a couple weeks ago.

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2008/05/medium_2491627745_8740b4fb51_o.jpg

Prince Valiant
05-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Not a fan of e85 at the moment (True cost hidden by MASSIVE subsidies, very inefficient to deliver IE it takes roughly 50-80% of the energy yeilded from e85 to deliver it)....but as they improve the ability to make e85, I may become one...

Right now, e85 is horrifically inefficient to make...and yes, sugar ethanol is much more efficient. Problem is, very little sugar can be grown here in the US...you CAN grow it, but it's yield per acre is so low, it becomes less efficient to produce than corn based ethanol. It's very unlikely that you'll see brazil produce enough sugar cane for US consumption too.

The problem may be solved through something seeminly unrelated...genetics.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/05/biomasstoethano.html

Right now, they HAVE developed a genetically modified E. Coli bacteria. Basically, through most any decomposable/fermentable waste into the mix with bacteria, and it'll crap out ethanol! And this isn't from really corn or cane sugars either...but from basically the products NOT typically used for food consumption; so basically no impact on food supplies.

The great thing about it is that they theorize that this process could easily hit 90-95% efficiency in delivery, otherwise the equivelance of what gasoline is.

The modified e. coli will continue to reproduce itself, will have a constant feed source, and be a 24 hour producer of ethanol...and it produces it at a good clip too. :thumbsup

Prince Valiant
05-23-2008, 10:52 AM
How much oil (other than shale) lies undiscovered/untapped still though?Quite possibly thousands of years left...

What we are running low on now is easily drilled oil. We've only in the last 10 years developed the technogly to drill FAR deeper than we ever have before for oil....we've always known of several deep sites, but didn't bother getting it, we couldn't.

That then begs the question, "why then look for it?"

No one wasted there time doing so, but there is no reason to think that there is just as much, if not more than at the levels we've been drilling than we've ever pumped out the ground so far.

There are VAST expanse of ocean that will likely yield fairly easily recoverable oil too...we've focused primarily on the shallow, easy to get stuff so far. We now are developing the ability to drill in extremenly deep waters...and considering that the oceans seems to be a better environment for producing oil (far more carbon based life lived in oceans for FAR longer than has ever on land), we may quite literally be looking at a supply that could last a even thousands of years.

DRK
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes but then it's still just 93 "octane:rolleyes:" pump swill that has who knows what in it.
What we need are Mr.Fusions and Flux Capacitors.

70 cutlass 442
05-23-2008, 01:02 PM

yes, but what is the used deep fryer oil made out of that we have to use?

Windsors 03 Cobra
05-23-2008, 01:17 PM
What we need are Mr.Fusions and Flux Capacitors.

Exactly, Miller High Life can and banana peel powered. :thumbsup

Al
05-23-2008, 01:49 PM

so you don't think methanol will go up if demand does?

You can bypass transesterfication wiht lye and methanol by using thermal depolymerization.

Take some algae-derived lipids and send it through the depolymerizer and some really high-quality oil comes out the other end. Pretty much, the stuff is a higher grade "sweet crude" than anything you can get out of the ground. The process costs about $12/barrel, stock, energy and everything else!

You can put all sorts of crap in one end and get fuel out the other.